LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT !?

I would say any and all problems since me getting the car were a direct result of modifications done to the car and were always engine related. Actually , all my problems started when i bottomed out the car, my resonator hangs lower then frame , which snapped off my cat back but also pulled my downpipe , turbo ( which began leaking after awhile) , up pipe, and my crosspipe. Other then that, the Subaru tranny , at least the auto one , is really reliable and the motor only crapped the bed after the previous owner messed up the engine timing slightly.

I see . That sucks but honestly that just created a whole project for you . It's unfortunate that it happened but everything happens for a reason .. But not for nothing your ride looks great , keep continuing to build it up and hopefully you'll see me in this forum showing off whatever model GT I choice to get . I'm starting to save and hopefully by March I'll have it . I'm not planning on doing any engine modifications , I'm still trying to learn up on it as best as possibly . I read that the GT's could really use suspension upgrades not less it's the spec - b version which is extremely rare in CT ...

My issues was the tune the car had on it when I got it and me ignoring the signs to take the tune off. After that it was the banjo bolts taking out the turbo. Then it was the turbo taking out the engine and contaminating the replacement turbo. I only listed major stuff, skipped the head light bulbs and vacuum lines coming undone.

My issues was the tune the car had on it when I got it and me ignoring the signs to take the tune off. After that it was the banjo bolts taking out the turbo. Then it was the turbo taking out the engine and contaminating the replacement turbo. I only listed major stuff, skipped the head light bulbs and vacuum lines coming undone.

What signs did you come across that indicated that the turbo was damaging the engine .. & a lot of people say it's a car you have to keep up with the maintenance . A lot of the stuff I'd like to learn myself , I'm interested in repairing vehicles .

Like others have said find either a really cheap one or a super low mileage one and pay a bit more for it. I had originally planned to spend $15k for a lower mileage wagon until I found mine with 50k miles on it for $10k. I had no clue the health of it and really didn't know too much other than the basic things to check for that everyone else on here has already told you. My wagon could have had bad compression, a blown turbo, a number of things for only having 50k miles and being so cheap. I've had it at stage 2 since 57k miles and am currently at 73k miles and in January will be putting on a VF52. Being in college and having a turbo car that is pretty much grown up Legos with good aftermarket support still 10 years later was probably the biggest financial mistake I have made while in college. In the beginning of February I'll have owned it for 2 years and when I looked at my spreadsheet of shame when I added in all the parts I've accumulated for going stage 3 I've spent the original purchase price again on mods only. Thats not counting for regular maintenance, gas, oil changes, etc. Even if you follow the mantra "stay stock, stay happy" these are still very expensive cars to own and get even more expensive when you get bit by the mod bug. Just be aware of what you are possibly getting yourself into and make sure your finances allow it. I don't drive my car daily and barely drive it on the weekends as I'm so busy all the time with homework (which I'm procrastinating right now) and live on campus and over the summer I have a long commute to work which these cars love and then also 2 months where I'm out on a ship on an internship.

The whole time I've owned my car I've always made sure I've had enough money to ship it home and take the ideas in my head for after I graduate and start getting the ball rolling on that project that will last a long time. Then I would just deal with always bumming rides from friends while at school.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I would get a 2.5i if I were you. Owning and maintaining a GT is $$$. Your insurance will go up a good bit too because it's considered a "performance model". The best way to find out how much your insurance will increase is to simply ask them.

This is actually not the case. Owned a 2006 2.5i prior to my 2005 LGT and the insurance was more on the 2006 2.5i(due to newer model year). With my insurance company, which I was told is the case with most is that the LGT is not noted as a performance model and priced the same as the 2.5i insurance wise. So insurance wise you shouldn't be looking at much price difference if any, however that is obviously not the case with maintenance and upkeep.

Like others have said find either a really cheap one or a super low mileage one and pay a bit more for it. I had originally planned to spend $15k for a lower mileage wagon until I found mine with 50k miles on it for $10k. I had no clue the health of it and really didn't know too much other than the basic things to check for that everyone else on here has already told you. My wagon could have had bad compression, a blown turbo, a number of things for only having 50k miles and being so cheap. I've had it at stage 2 since 57k miles and am currently at 73k miles and in January will be putting on a VF52. Being in college and having a turbo car that is pretty much grown up Legos with good aftermarket support still 10 years later was probably the biggest financial mistake I have made while in college. In the beginning of February I'll have owned it for 2 years and when I looked at my spreadsheet of shame when I added in all the parts I've accumulated for going stage 3 I've spent the original purchase price again on mods only. Thats not counting for regular maintenance, gas, oil changes, etc. Even if you follow the mantra "stay stock, stay happy" these are still very expensive cars to own and get even more expensive when you get bit by the mod bug. Just be aware of what you are possibly getting yourself into and make sure your finances allow it. I don't drive my car daily and barely drive it on the weekends as I'm so busy all the time with homework (which I'm procrastinating right now) and live on campus and over the summer I have a long commute to work which these cars love and then also 2 months where I'm out on a ship on an internship.

The whole time I've owned my car I've always made sure I've had enough money to ship it home and take the ideas in my head for after I graduate and start getting the ball rolling on that project that will last a long time. Then I would just deal with always bumming rides from friends while at school.

I'm literately in the same boat as you brotha . My LGT would be my daily to work and to school every day not for nothing I'm not sure if I'd make it stage 2 right away .. Possibly some stage 1 adjustments to get a little performance but I don't think I'd go too extreme . I'm really looking forward to do some shopping in the spring .. Have you done a lot of work yourself or shops ?

This is actually not the case. Owned a 2006 2.5i prior to my 2005 LGT and the insurance was more on the 2006 2.5i(due to newer model year). With my insurance company, which I was told is the case with most is that the LGT is not noted as a performance model and priced the same as the 2.5i insurance wise. So insurance wise you shouldn't be looking at much price difference if any, however that is obviously not the case with maintenance and upkeep.

Yes it's quite ironic how insurance rates vehicles .. I thought my 00 Brighton would be cheaper but no the LGT is almost $100 cheaper mind you I'm 19 and have had my license since with 2014 and no accidents "knocks on wood" ... That's one of the major reasons why I'm really interested in one . I was stuck between a sedan or wagon and it's basically whatever I can find at a good price and mileage .

What signs did you come across that indicated that the turbo was damaging the engine .. & a lot of people say it's a car you have to keep up with the maintenance . A lot of the stuff I'd like to learn myself , I'm interested in repairing vehicles .

It blew up, sending pieces of it into the oil return as well as mixing oil and coolant. I called myself trying to flush it with about 15 gallons of shoptech at idle each time and 9000 miles later was the hard knock life tour. i took a few short cuts and it cost me the engine and replacement turbo.

Have you done a lot of work yourself or shops ?

I've done all my work myself with the exception of alignments. And even then I was right there with the tech watching what he was doing. I would really like to have the ability to do my own alignments but that's currently the only thing I'm unable to do with my car.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

It blew up, sending pieces of it into the oil return as well as mixing oil and coolant. I called myself trying to flush it with about 15 gallons of shoptech at idle each time and 9000 miles later was the hard knock life tour. i took a few short cuts and it cost me the engine and replacement turbo.

Geesh dude that sucks much ..

I've done all my work myself with the exception of alignments. And even then I was right there with the tech watching what he was doing. I would really like to have the ability to do my own alignments but that's currently the only thing I'm unable to do with my car.

I don't feel comfortable even attempting anything with alignments and what not .. But my major focus on what I'd like to repair is majority of the components in the engine bay . Did you download or purchase the manual to your car and or watched videos minus the tech ?

I don't feel comfortable even attempting anything with alignments and what not .. But my major focus on what I'd like to repair is majority of the components in the engine bay . Did you download or purchase the manual to your car and or watched videos minus the tech ?

Sounds like you are interested in vacation pics.

Lol I don't get it

This should help clear up confusion when you see this term pop up repeatedly here.

I organized my vacation pix for 2005, 2008, and 2009 as a single album per year with outline/bookmarks to help with navigation.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation

If someone wants 2006 and 2007, please PM me if you want to help.

--Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I only read the first page… If your still going to be going through school, I'd opt for getting a 2.5i or a 3.0r if you want a little extra power. The 07+ 3.0R have SI drive in them. I learned the hard way that the turbo life isn't all smiles, don't get me wrong I love my 07 Outback XT.

However being 24 and just finish up school I've thrown loads of money into the XT to where I opted to continue living at home so I could keep my car, also I don't have the heart to let her go with all the money I know that's gone into her lol. She's running great finally but it only took 4k to get her there :spin:

I would get a 2.5i if I were you. Owning and maintaining a GT is $$$. Your insurance will go up a good bit too because it's considered a "performance model". The best way to find out how much your insurance will increase is to simply ask them.

The 2.5i is a great little wagon! My newly acquired 2.5i is a limited with 4 speed auto sport transmission. I have a MA dealer's license and pick up cars at auction all the time. Subarus are new-ground to me (my mom has an 04 OB wagon with H6). I liked this car so much that it will be my winter driver. Car has 155k and is just about mint, interior is flawless and everything works, small surface rust above rear wheel wells. I've replaced both O2 sensors, front/rear swaybar links, rear-hatch pistons, one lug stud, changed oil, and bought winter tires on steel rims and OE floormats. Next week, I'm having dealer replace both cats for free as part of emissions recall. I'm having my own exhaust guy replace the pipe from cat back and keeping the ss mufflers. All told, I'll be into this little gem for just over 4k with no worries (timing belt has 55k) about $$$ failures. Granted it's no GT, but mileage, 87 octane, and insurance savings are the trade off.

FWIW...my wife was at auction last week and watched an 08 LGT sedan with just over 100k, sell for $4200 (well below wholesale book).

You are in CT...not so far away. Let me know what you decide. I'm more than willing to keep my eyes open at auction for you.

Hello everyone in the 4th gen legacy group . I'm usually posting in the 3rd gen site but I have a couple of questions ... So I'm currently driving a 00 Brighton and may I say I love every second of it . Not to mention it is my first car as well . I'm currently 19 , I will be 20 next month and I'm interested in purchasing a 4th Gen legacy in the near future . Now as far as insurance i am currently paying $333 in liability. Just was wondering how much will my insurance increase possibly and what're some pros and cons you all have about driving a 4th gen legacy . Hope within' the next 6 months I'll have one myself . Thank you all

- JaQuan

I don't think it'll increase too much. We have a thread on this, if you'd like to read into it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/insurance-legacy-gt-ridiculously-cheap-246425.html?t=246425

3.0 is the best of both worlds, N/A reliability but not as dog piss slow.

If 3.0R's were available with a manual, I'd probably have gone with that over the GT.

Don't get me wrong, I adore this car, but I can see how easy it could be it quickly get in over one's head.

The 2.5i is a great little wagon! My newly acquired 2.5i is a limited with 4 speed auto sport transmission. I have a MA dealer's license and pick up cars at auction all the time. Subarus are new-ground to me (my mom has an 04 OB wagon with H6). I liked this car so much that it will be my winter driver. Car has 155k and is just about mint, interior is flawless and everything works, small surface rust above rear wheel wells. I've replaced both O2 sensors, front/rear swaybar links, rear-hatch pistons, one lug stud, changed oil, and bought winter tires on steel rims and OE floormats. Next week, I'm having dealer replace both cats for free as part of emissions recall. I'm having my own exhaust guy replace the pipe from cat back and keeping the ss mufflers. All told, I'll be into this little gem for just over 4k with no worries (timing belt has 55k) about $$$ failures. Granted it's no GT, but mileage, 87 octane, and insurance savings are the trade off.

FWIW...my wife was at auction last week and watched an 08 LGT sedan with just over 100k, sell for $4200 (well below wholesale book).

You are in CT...not so far away. Let me know what you decide. I'm more than willing to keep my eyes open at auction for you.

I'd appreciate that so much thank you , & I was looking to finance a 07-09 version they're the only ones I can find with under or a little over 100,000 miles .. That would be excellent if you see any at a auction I would be really interested .

If 3.0R's were available with a manual, I'd probably have gone with that over the GT.

Don't get me wrong, I adore this car, but I can see how easy it could be it quickly get in over one's head.

Without a doubt , I totally understand brotha .

I only read the first page… If your still going to be going through school, I'd opt for getting a 2.5i or a 3.0r if you want a little extra power. The 07+ 3.0R have SI drive in them. I learned the hard way that the turbo life isn't all smiles, don't get me wrong I love my 07 Outback XT.

However being 24 and just finish up school I've thrown loads of money into the XT to where I opted to continue living at home so I could keep my car, also I don't have the heart to let her go with all the money I know that's gone into her lol. She's running great finally but it only took 4k to get her there :spin:

Honestly bro I'm in the same boat . I want to keep my wagon but if I was to swap it it'd be just as much as financing out a GT or XT ..

Archived