LegacyGT.com

Wristpin failure? Or dealership ripping me off?

yep! thats the noise. when you bend down into the engine that same taktaktak noise is what im hearing. is that normal or should i be concerned? ive never driven an ej25 before this one so i dont know what the proper sounds are

My previous LGT made that same noise and it ran really healthy. I think all of my 5 of my Subaru's sounded that way to varying degrees.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So the engine is still running fine. But I've developed what I think is a power steering issue. If it's a particularly cold morning or if the car is in full lock under load it makes a high pitched squeaking.

Now this doesn't appear to be an especially catastrophic issue but i thought I'd post it here instead of starting a whole new thread

Any input?

• Moderators
Check power steering fluid level, belt tightness, and also for evidence of a leak on top of the pump. Many have issues with an oring in the line that enters the top of the pump. I actually picked up 2 orings just today to fix this issue on my own car.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

On full lock, cold that is not that abnormal. Stop doing that.

Like BMB said, check the belt, make sure it tight with a little play, check it for age cracks too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had a wristpin actually break in a set of aftermarket CP pistons before. There is no way you could miss the sound. It sounds like a completely toasted bearing/tapping. That recording didn't have that sound.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind words guys!

We always strive to save people money, helps us sleep at night and also builds a loyal base so that when there really is an issue, they actually believe us! We treat folks the way we like to be treated if the tables were turned.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

How is the belt tension?

Sorry I forgot to update this. The guys at AZP found that the belt size itself was incorrect for my car (previous owner must've put the wrong one on) and fixed it for me for $30 in about 10 minutes.

Again, they're the best

• 1 month later...

Got my compression/leakdown test back.

Cyl1: 151psi - 3%leak

Cyl2: 157psi - 0% leak

Cyl3: 147psi - 5% leak

Cyl4: 141psi - 5%leak

The goal was appx 150 psi

Other notes:

They do suspect a minor bearing issue. The oil analysis I'm doing will tell if there is any bearing or knocking evident in the oil.

i agree xt2005. the Oil analysis will tell us more though.

the suspicion of the bearing comes from this noise (

). the noise is that low tiktiktiktik. when i looked at the oil that had been there for 3k i found no sparkles in it--another good sign. however this noise is still making various mechanics, dealers, and subie guru's nervous.... to varying degrees.

i agree xt2005. the Oil analysis will tell us more though.

the suspicion of the bearing comes from this noise (

). the noise is that low tiktiktiktik. when i looked at the oil that had been there for 3k i found no sparkles in it--another good sign. however this noise is still making various mechanics, dealers, and subie guru's nervous.... to varying degrees.

Yeah I can hear it. It has the tick of a quiet diesel engine. Do you have another video of it when you rev it a bit, and keep it steady at a given rev?

I can hear it there as well. mmmh, I am not sure. Do you have the btssm app? Or a way to log and see if the knock sensor gets triggered with this sound? Just wondering..

I can't remember, you've inspected your timing belt tensioner right? also the small idler pulley next to the timing belt tensioner is new? old?

I would also perhaps try to disconnect if possible all accessories to rule them out (e.g. ac compressor, power steering, alternator).

That's a tough one man. In any case, the oil analysis will be very helpful to rule things out.

Archived