LegacyGT.com

Burning oil after oil change? Need help

I changed the oil on my 06 legacy gt yesterday with a K&N oil filter and mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage 5w-30. (I live in Wisconsin and with the winter coming up I put 5w-30) When I changed the oil all together the car took about 4.5 quarts of oil (some of which I put in the filter before I screwed it back on). Yesterday I also went on a fun drive with my buddy for about a hour and I did get on it a lot more than I usually do. When I started up my car this morning (first frost of the year happened and my car was outside the garage) my car turned over 3-4 times more than it usually does and when it did start up a cloud of white smoke came out of my exhaust and I instantly smelled oil. I drove around a bit let the engine warm up checked the oil and I was already down to 1/2 a tank, so did I burn the oil when I was getting on it yesterday? Is mobil 1 known to run through these cars like crazy? Or is my car just burning oil? I've had this car for a month, it has 100,000 miles and its been a really solid car so far. The only thing I've done to it is a invidia q300 CBE because the stock exhaust broke. If you have any input or recommendations for oil it is much appreciated but if anything I'm going to be safe and have the dealer check it out. Thanks

I changed the oil on my 06 legacy gt yesterday with a K&N oil filter and mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage 5w-30. (I live in Wisconsin and with the winter coming up I put 5w-30) When I changed the oil all together the car took about 4.5 quarts of oil (some of which I put in the filter before I screwed it back on). Yesterday I also went on a fun drive with my buddy for about a hour and I did get on it a lot more than I usually do. When I started up my car this morning (first frost of the year happened and my car was outside the garage) my car turned over 3-4 times more than it usually does and when it did start up a cloud of white smoke came out of my exhaust and I instantly smelled oil. I drove around a bit let the engine warm up checked the oil and I was already down to 1/2 a tank, so did I burn the oil when I was getting on it yesterday? Is mobil 1 known to run through these cars like crazy? Or is my car just burning oil? I've had this car for a month, it has 100,000 miles and its been a really solid car so far. The only thing I've done to it is a invidia q300 CBE because the stock exhaust broke. If you have any input or recommendations for oil it is much appreciated but if anything I'm going to be safe and have the dealer check it out. Thanks

Mobil 1 was noted to burn in some members cars. Switch oils to truly test this .Have you removed the bango filters , also top it up and see if it burns it again and how much. Is the turbo spooling fine and is there any performance decrease?

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

As far as performance, it feels the same, the turbo is fine and no, I haven't removed the banjo filters because I'm afraid to. (I'm not the best mechanic by any means) and I actually just checked my oil after letting the car sit and its on a completely flat surface and there really wasn't any oil burned that was out of the ordinary. I'm just concerned about the oil smell and cloud of smoke from start up.

Yeah, Mobil 1 is generally frowned upon around here. Shell Rotella is popular for Turbo Subaru owners, personally I run Castrol 5w-30 synthetic w/ Ti and I don't burn any oil.

The oil/exhaust smell is common with a LGT, especially after a beat down run. White smoke generally implies coolant, oil will be blue/black.

As far as performance, it feels the same, the turbo is fine and no, I haven't removed the banjo filters because I'm afraid to. (I'm not the best mechanic by any means) and I actually just checked my oil after letting the car sit and its on a completely flat surface and there really wasn't any oil burned that was out of the ordinary. I'm just concerned about the oil smell and cloud of smoke from start up.

Best thing you can do is monitor the oil level and see if the smoke comes back. It might have just been residual fluid from when you were flooring it.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I'm sorry I don't know how to quote, but may I ask what Castrol oil you're using or what you'd recommend for me in Wisconsin winters and 100,000miles?

Click on the Quote button on the upper right corner of the post you want to quote.

Get the Mobil 1 out of there and run Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 year round.

Both my legacy's run Amsoil European Full SAPS 5w-40 year round using their oil filters.

Never let the car idle to warm up, start it and drive it easy until the temp gauge is above the first line.

Check the oil often until you learn how much it uses. Always top it off.

A month of ownership is not a long time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A lot of people here don't like Mobil 1, but I don't think it's that bad. It seems like Legacies do like to consume Mobil 1 more than other oils, at least 5w-30.

.5qt in a day seems a bit excessive. The oil dipsticks on these cars are notoriously hard to read, despite what some might say. One side of the dipstick might read full, and the other side of the dipstick might say .5 quarts low. I think I've read that it's because of the way the dipstick enters the oil pan at an angle, so I'll usually check the oil level a couple times, and split the difference between the two sides on the dipstick.

If the car really does consume a lot of oil, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the pcv valve assembly

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pcv-valve-replacement-95003.html

I'm sorry I don't know how to quote, but may I ask what Castrol oil you're using or what you'd recommend for me in Wisconsin winters and 100,000miles?

What part of wi are you in? I'm occasionally in WI but my lgt lives there full time.

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic, 5w-30. You can get it at walmart. 4 years and 40k since my rebuild and I don't burn a drop with 5k oci. I won't be switching anytime soon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-5W30-Edge-Extended-Performance-with-Titanium-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039136

I've never used Rotella so I can't comment, but it's a popular choice around here.

A lot of people here don't like Mobil 1, but I don't think it's that bad. It seems like Legacies do like to consume Mobil 1 more than other oils, at least 5w-30.

.5qt in a day seems a bit excessive. The oil dipsticks on these cars are notoriously hard to read, despite what some might say. One side of the dipstick might read full, and the other side of the dipstick might say .5 quarts low. I think I've read that it's because of the way the dipstick enters the oil pan at an angle, so I'll usually check the oil level a couple times, and split the difference between the two sides on the dipstick.

If the car really does consume a lot of oil, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the pcv valve assembly

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pcv-valve-replacement-95003.html

I second the replace the PCV idea. I had a Mazda sucking down oil until I changed the PCV.

Contrary to some of the talk about Mobil 1, 138,000 miles and no noticeable consumption. 103,000 on our Acura and same story. I do use the"extended performance" version which sets me back another 2 or 3 bucks per change.

What part of wi are you in? I'm occasionally in WI but my lgt lives there full time.

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic, 5w-30. You can get it at walmart. 4 years and 40k since my rebuild and I don't burn a drop with 5k oci. I won't be switching anytime soon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-5W30-Edge-Extended-Performance-with-Titanium-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039136

I've never used Rotella so I can't comment, but it's a popular choice around here.

I live in MKE and yesterday me and my buddy who has a Sti went out to Dousman and found a little circuit out there. It was about a 40 minute drive but it was sooo worth it.

Porsche uses Mobil 1 0-40 as their factory fill.

Yes PORSCHE has engineered their boxer to like it with thier ring gaps, piston to wall clearance and all that good stuff. On Subarus more than 9/10 times Mobil 1 and royal purple will sheer down and burn off!

Yes PORSCHE has engineered their boxer to like it with thier ring gaps, piston to wall clearance and all that good stuff. On Subarus more than 9/10 times Mobil 1 and royal purple will sheer down and burn off!

Glad I'm number 10. You did note I'm using "extended performance" which is (supposedly ) different than the standard M1.

Archived