LegacyGT.com

Knock in front end

My 05 LGT has 80k miles. Have had few issues so far. Recently, I've been hearing some knocking, clunking or similar, in the front end. It appears to happen only at slower speeds. On rough roads or over bumps, the noise can be heard. At faster speeds, above approx 35-40 mph, it is quiet. Steering feels tight, no wandering on highways or even around town.

Can someone point me in a direction of possibilities? I suppose it could be struts but front end seem fairly compliant. No real bounce or sloppy suspension. Had a passenger side axle replaced a while ago and they checked the lower control arms and said all looked good.

What is the best way to check end links and other areas that may contribute to the noise? While idling down the street, I can weave left and right and can hear the popping/clunking/knocking. Really not thinking it is steering linkage as there are not indications of looseness in steering or steering issues.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

End links, these cars are known for that issue. Moog makes nice replacements for like $30.

Have you had your timing belt replaced yet ? 10 years is the life on them. You may want to replace the sway bar bushings too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Plus +1 on the sway bar end links...the chassis mounts also.

Checking the top hats is a good idea...the strut main bolt ought be fine, but the 3 mounting bolts to the strut tower.

I would also check your steering rack bushings and the input shaft. Get under there and shake it. I have been chasing a clunk...for years. See this.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/78145-steering-gear-input-shaft.html

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

OP, definitely check the endlinks like the others have mentioned. My LF has been making noise (knocking/clunking) the past week or two.

I was changing my fronts brake pads this past weekend and while the car was on the lift I grabbed onto the front sway bar on that side.

I found that the noise was indeed coming from that endlink.

Byron, good call on the Moog endlinks!(Moog K750049) I just ordered a pair for the front a few minutes ago ( $23 each @ partsgeek.com) $58.00 shipped to my door.

In Aug I replaced the rear end links for the first time, 212,000 miles. Had to cut one off just like the fronts.

Got Moog from NAPA.

The fronts I think I replaced at around 70,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to get the car in the air to check the front end. The driver side sway bar mount looks really crappy. Passenger side looks ok. Using a very small pry bar, I can move the sway bar back and forth through the mounts. Is that normal? The bar looks really loose in the mount blocks. As for the end links, the rubber on them looks really bad. Not sure how to check accurately. I may change the sway bar mounts and the end links and see how that goes. Should be fairly inexpensive. Any tips/hints on changing both of these parts?

Thanks for the help!

Archived