LegacyGT.com

Help!!! Just keeps blowing turbos :-(

2008 LGT eat

Sorry for the title but now I've been through hell and back with this legacy gt and 3 blown stock turbos on my 4th now (not blown yet) and it is still over boosting , flashed Cobb ap stg 2 because the shop that worked on my car insisted I had tuned it previously (I hadn't bought str8 from a stealership) which I did not do. I bought the car from a Toyota dealership bone stock , def had previous work done to it but do not know what.

So what do I do ? I have replaced the turbo , turbo inlet , t-valve , all lines and had intercooler heat soaked , but no and I mean no one can figure out what's going on , to the point the shop I went to wrote a big letter explaining what they couldn't do (fix the car) and that they have no clue

So my question/s is where do I start what could be outside of the turbo and ecu causing it to just open boost wide open ?

Tia

What year car?

The banjo bolt near the turbo on the passenger's side head has a filter screen in it. The screen *can* over time, clog up which then starves the turbo of the oil it desperately needs.

If you've got a couple wrenches, an hour or two, and some frustration and banged knuckles to spare, it's not too hard of a job to complete.

Subaru has an official TSB on it (not as bad as a recall) telling dealerships to remove the filters.

I've changed the banjo w all 3 turbos :-(

Has anyone else had any experience with the electric boost solenoids ? I was thinking that might work as it is some kinda of boost issue , I've changed out the t-valve w the pill that controls boost and it is still must opening wide at 25psi then check engine lights triggers :-/

Ty for your response

I've changed the banjo w all 3 turbos :-(

Has anyone else had any experience with the electric boost solenoids ? I was thinking that might work as it is some kinda of boost issue , I've changed out the t-valve w the pill that controls boost and it is still must opening wide at 25psi then check engine lights triggers :-/

Ty for your response

Are you talking aftermarket adjustable solenoids? Did you change the stock BCS? How many parts are there that limit boost that could have failed? Also, could a clogged/collapsed vacuum line cause this? Or a wrongly connected vac line?

you loaded a stage 2 tune using the AP--do you have an aftermarket downpipe? What modifications are done to the car?

This too... A gutted stock downpipe is not good enough for stage 2, IMO. The flat plate at the wastegate outlet is a big problem.

Turbo installation error that keeps getting repeated because whoever is removing the turbo is installing the next turbo exactly as the one they removed. I would guess that the second turbo was not installed correctly and such is the reason why it continues to keep doing the same thing over and over.

To do the same thing over and over and expect different results is the definition of insanity.

You have to find the actual problem.

Follow up on banjo question.

Did you touch this behind the head by the oil return line?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/DA81AB28-7666-488A-BA0F-DEEC25FC5291_zpsldtssmh2.jpg

Or this one behind timing belt cover on opposite head?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/528D5B54-6422-4037-AA1B-0AB654A45B7F_zpsjvduqiag.jpg

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk App

Could have a multitude of issues here, but with the over-boosting have you checked all the vacuum lines. What about your boost control solenoid? Stock? MAP sensor also? I had some overboost events that all tied to a loose vacuum line on the boost control solenoid.

That's a lot of turbos to blow. Here's to hoping you haven't got any metal in your engine as a result. If you get this all figured out, get a pro-tune for the sake of your engine and turbos. Stock and OTS maps are (insert fart noise here)!

Also check oil pressure and oil pickup pipe. There have been a number of cases where the oil pickup pipe have failed causing fatal engine failure.

Oil consumption and oil quality is also important. The turbo engines may have a high oil consumption.

453747.png

Archived