LegacyGT.com

10% off code for Fumoto Valves

I just received this email after requesting a code for legacygt.com:

Dear !S4

We have considered the proposal you made in your email of Sept 19.

It would give us great pleasure to supply "Engine Oil Drain Valve" to

the Legacy GT website members.

We are happy to set a special 10% discount.

Please use YM4 as a discount code when ordering at online store.

Best regards,

YM International Company

On-line Distributor of Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

http://www.fumotovalve.com

Enjoy your easier oil changes!

I wouldn't get the nipple unless you plan on using a hose with it, but it's up to you. If you're not planning on hooking up a hose, then there's really no reason at all. It really is a clean stream without the nipple.

Yes, but it will be most likely the LAST one that you will need.

Thanks !S4 for the code...and your hard work/effort!

Later!

I didn't use a crush washer. It comes with a rubber washer and I've had absolutely no leaking at all.

With the rubber washer, what's the chance of getting a leak? Did everyone else use a crush washer?

Update - ordered two, too!

One for Winky, and one for the wifey's Rex. :D

"Oil changes - for BOTH cars - in under the time it takes to drive out to the Quickie-Lube!" - Allen's new motto!

Thanks again, brother !S4 :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Does the Fumoto valve for the Legacy leave any oil in the drain pan after using the valve?

I would love to install one of these, but I am concerned that after draining the oil with this valve installed, it would leave some oil in the oil pan. I really don't want to have to "modify" the valve to ensure that all the oil is drained.

Can anyone confirm wheter on not these valves leave oil in the pan after use?

Thanks

-S

^ According to their FAQ:

Q.Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A.No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

Love to hear some first-hand experiences from fellow Scooby owners, too, though! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

+1

Add to this, too - on their website, they cite that the valve is OEM-accepted replacement for "6 Japanese manufacturers."

Is Scooby/FHI among these? I couldn't find the reference list.

Exactly, I want an unbiased opinion regarding complete (or not) oil drainage!

-S

The only way that I can see that it would leave oil in the pan is if the original drain plug wouldn't let it out. That doesn't seem to be the case, so you should be fine.

Question to those that used a crush washer: Did you use that instead of the included rubber washer?

"Question to those that used a crush washer: Did you use that instead of the included rubber washer?"

I used the crush washer only, not the rubber washer. Since the crush washer was part of the design by Subaru, I felt I should use that and just be careful not to over-tighten the valve. If I was to replace a different drain plug that did not have a crush washer with the drain valve, I would use the included rubber washer.

The only way that I can see that it would leave oil in the pan is if the original drain plug wouldn't let it out. That doesn't seem to be the case, so you should be fine.

Question to those that used a crush washer: Did you use that instead of the included rubber washer?

Let's see if I can describe this correctly....

When looking at the inside of the oilpan, as if you had it off the car and were looking at the inside...

The regular bolt-type plug might stick up from it's threaded bung. It really doesn't matter much... Because when you take it out, the inside of the threads are still at the bottom of the pan, and the oil completely drains.

OK, now install the Fumoto valve... It is more of a threaded pipe arrangement from the inside... and one of two possiblities exist...

The threaded section of the valve is as-long-as, or shorter-than the threads in the pan, and the valve does not protrude into the pan at all. This is as it should be, and may actually be.

The other possibility is a little less ideal. If the threaded part of the fumoto valve is *longer* than the threaded bung in the pan (adjusting for the washer, etc...) the inside of the valve protrudes up into the pan. Think of it as if the drain in your sink or tub stuck up *above* the bottom. You'd never fully drain it.

With engine oil, that isn't so good. If there are any metal filings, crud, sludge, or anything heavier than the liquid, it will settle to the bottom, and never be completely flushed...

I think what people are asking is, how does the Fumoto valve fit from the inside... is it flush or lower, or does it stick up above th bottom of the pan... (and different pans might be affected, or not affected, depending on the depth of the threaded bung in the pan.)

Archived