LegacyGT.com

Hey guys. I was able to come up with the money needed for an OEM turbo. I am currently running a VF40. I know that with doing an upgrade to a 52 I need new injectors, new waistegate sylanoid, and a new fuel pump. My question is, can I run the 52 without those for 4 months without that stuff? I want to do the upgrade but only have money for the turbo for now. Will it damage internals or just give me bad performance?

You will need a tune at the very least. You can run without the supporting mods, but I don't know if you would be best served to spend more money in the long run (2 tunes) versus doing it all at once.

Is your VF-40 failing? You cam PM JmP6889928.

Do you know how much he charges for a VF52?

I see your not here much. I must be the poster child for the vf52 on stock fueling.

My vf52 has almost 70,000 miles at 21psi.

Make sure you get a great tune. http://www.tuningalliance.com is who I use.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Turbo has completely failed. I have paid for two engine rebuilds in three months. With the turbo I will be at $4900 out of pocket in three months. I have 1300 to get a turbo now. If JMP has a 52 I can afford a fuel pump and a tune and the injectors will have to wait till December as I'm penny pinching like crazy.

You don't need a fuel pump and injectors to run a vf52 safely. I got my new vf52 from www.AZPinstalls.com call Rey, tell him I sent you. He can get you a vf52 in very short time. I had mine the next day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I don't know your car's history or why your rebuilds aren't working out (metal from blown turbo still circulating as compsurge mentioned?) but if it was me, I would not be looking to add a new fuel pump and injectors right now. I would be doing everything under the sun to make sure any oiling system issues are addressed and the latest rebuild is solid before doing any kind of performance upgrades. VF52 is fine if that's what you end up with but stick with stock fueling and focus your efforts right now on the engine and a really good (and probably conservative) tune. I saw you were looking for a local tuner in the Utah regional thread but you can also get a good quality e-tune from vendors on here like Cryotune, BrenTuning, and TuningAlliance. Once you have a good number of trouble-free miles on the rebuild, then you can be more comfortable with doing some performance upgrades including fueling.

• 3 weeks later...
Turbo has completely failed. I have paid for two engine rebuilds in three months. With the turbo I will be at $4900 out of pocket in three months. I have 1300 to get a turbo now. If JMP has a 52 I can afford a fuel pump and a tune and the injectors will have to wait till December as I'm penny pinching like crazy.

Keep an eye out for one, as I was giving up on the 52 quest 2 literally popped up. One of them was in driving distance where I could get in and out of town before rush hour started.

What kinda cost do the 52's usually run? And feelings on one with a wastegate crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM JmP6889928, he's the guy to talk too about turbo's.

Stock 09+ WRX runs a VF52 on the same fueling we're running. As Max said, no need for bigger injectors or a pump unless you're really pushing the limits on gas, or planning to run e85.

To be frank, you probably won't hurt anything running the 52 with no tune, either. If you stay out of big boost and keep the revs under 4k, the car will likely not notice the couple hundred RPM of added lag. Shouldn't run forever like that, but as a short term solution until you decide on fuel and get a proper tune.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I'm sending mine off for the 11 blade rebuild, I'm upgrading fuel just to take full advantage of it. I'd also PM him, Id be telling you what I think instead of what could actually be legit. My 52 core has no cracks around that area that I can see with my necked eye.

• 2 months later...
Picked up a blown VF52 off NASIOC for $250 and sent it to JMP for a rebuild. You just gotta be diligent about checking the classifieds. Good luck!

You went stock rebuild or 11 blade upgrade? Either way is legit, my 1st blown VF 40 was good enough for BNR 6 years ago when I sold it to a local so there is hope.

I watched those classifieds like a hawk for several months. Only one trashed came up, and it was paper weight trashed.

Do your research on any classified ad you see over there. Lots of people are not forth coming with relevant info. There was a guy selling a low mileage 52 for 700. Not bad, until you realize he ran it with such a tune that he expected to go through turbos every 10-15k miles. He said he took this one off the car after 5k (it was much dirtier than a 5k mile turbo), but was selling the car with another brand new 52. When I made the comment that he had purchased two brand new turbos, he was confused. I could never get a straight answer. Too many things made me not comfortable.

Either buy a blown one that your sure needs to be rebuilt, or look at every post made by the seller to find out how they came to have a turbo to sell at all. Lots of "terrible squealing noise" threads followed by a "how do I install a new turbo" followed by a "good 25k mile turbo $800" thread.

Just spent 850 on a Kinguawa 16g . Alot more top end pulls like a freight train. Also running it on stock fueling. Best to weigh your options when your spending hundreds and i my case, i went bigger.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

You went stock rebuild or 11 blade upgrade? Either way is legit, my 1st blown VF 40 was good enough for BNR 6 years ago when I sold it to a local so there is hope.

I got the 11 blade but if money is tight just get the regular. JMP has a new 11 blade VF39 for sale right now. Identical to the VF52 but without the intercooler flange so you'd need an aftermarket intercooler to go with it.

Edit: Here is the link

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/virtually-all-new-custom-vf39-247356.html

Archived