LegacyGT.com

Feel the vibrations

So I decided to rotate my wheels this weekend. These wheels and tires are relatively new. Just purchased in April. They were aligned and camber bolts etc replaced in the rear when installed. Now that the rear wheels are up front, I have consistent vibrations at 65 mph and above. I spent $100. at different shops getting them balanced but to no avail. One shop said they zeroed it out, but there seems to still be an off balance issue. I cannot understand what's causing this because I am assuming that if the front end ( linkage etc.) was off, this should have been manifested in the previous configuration. I now there are previous threads with folks chasing phantom vibration/ shake causes but this really baffles me.:spin:

Had the same issue before, the shop zeroed all 4 wheels and still had the issue. After inspecting all rims, I foumd 1 that was bent on the inside. Had it corrected and ran smoothed again. Inspect for bends.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I have an accuturn tire changer and balancer at home and a hunter tire changer and road force at my school shop (I'm the teacher).

I frequently find that the tire shops will spin the tire once, add weight and pull the tire off. They need to keep running the balancer until its done adding weight. You stated that the shops zerod the wheel/tire, they should have checked for bends also as previously mentioned. As an FYI, while ymmv, most moderate bends will be difficult to zero and the shop will have to add lots of weight. That's a dead give away for a bad tire or a bent rim.

:mad:This is really pissing me off now. Spent more money. Had them Roadforce balance yesterday. They said the rims were in great shape and they again balanced the wheels. Now they seem to be worse. Gonna check Rim Doctor on Friday

Which front wheel bearing/hub is the oldest ?

I have found that when the steering wheel shimmy's on some highways and not on others, one of the hubs is going.

It may take a long while for it to make itself obvious.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Rotors can cause a shimmy as well from having uneven pad massed on the rotor surface. In addition the rotor hats (where the rotor meets the wheel) can become corroded and cause the wheel to be mounted slightly off center. I have had to wire brush that area to solve similar problems before.

Just an FYI, I have had shops tell me that my rims are fine only to check myself and see bends.

Flip the wheels back to their original position and see if it goes away. If it does, it has to be uneven tread wear. You can balance and balance, but if the tread wear is uneven, it will not fix it.

Also, what are you running for air pressure? I always run 2 psi more in the front than I do in the rear and I run 42 front and 40 rear as it flattens out the tread in the middle of the tire contact patch.

One other shot in the dark-did you change lug nuts by any chance? If you put a set of tuner lugs on the OE wheels, the taper is different and can cause the wheels to not center on the lug faces like they should be. Just a thought.

Give these a try and see if it helps. If you change them back to original position and the vibration goes away, my guess is tread wear.

Thanks a lot guys. Still spending tons of money chasing this damn imbalance. Returned the wheels to where they were. The shimmy lessened, but is still there. Rim Doctor inspected all rims. They say they are straight and true. Roadforce balanced again... They say they are balanced. Studs ok, the only change since purchase of new wheels and Michelin tires in March, was the change of wheel nuts. I am at my wit's end. Gonna drive this car into a lake :)

• 4 weeks later...
So one month, 2 brand new tires, 6 different wheel shop visits and $500 later this is what was causing my vibration all along. The nut job at Midas who rotated my tire did not re-attach the hub centric ring on the wheel. Non of the 5 shops noticed..except for the dude at Firestone installing the new tires. Simply pathetic.

Archived