LegacyGT.com

Header and up pipe questions

Hey guys had a few questions about these subjects. Any help if appreciated

.is a up pipe really "needed" In a 08? I understand that the 08 don't have a cat in the up pipe which is the main reason y there swapped out in the older ones so the turbo won't be destroyed if the cat fails.

But will there be a significant gain over a aftermarket up pipe and the stock catless? Or is it negligible?

.as far as headers go. Is there any significant gain over a aftermarket header? I plan on having the car on the cobb stage 2 then later geting protuned.

My thoughts were if I'm gona replace the up pipe I might as well replace the header while I'm at it. Im gona give the "ebay" UEL header/up pipe combo a go n see how That plays out. I did some searching I'm aware of it being a gamble and aware of the hesder cracking over time. But there dirt cheap and I'm willing to give it a try. If all fails then just keeping the up pipe and throwing the stock headers back on.

Plan on wrapping and ceramic coating the header and up pipe to help with heat.

I've ran Chinese manifolds on my 1jz motors before. They tend to hold up preety dam good. Only 1 time I had to Brace it and go over some cracking due to the size of the turbo it had to support.

But lmk what you guys think, should I try a header? Or is the up pipe even necessary?

Thanks

• Moderators
Up pipe definitely not needed since you are already catless. There is a significant gain over stock if you go to good quality equal length headers. If you stick with unequal length headers you likely won't see much/any gain.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

My goals for now is basically going and staying on stage 2 til I upgrade the turbo. I have a turboback as of now. I will be adding a intercooler soon. If there's some power to be made on the header and up pipe at only 140$ then I'm all for it. As far as future goals I'm looking for 300+ whp running 12s and Il be happy, so turbo upgrade in the future for sure. I daily this car. So it won't see any much harsh driving, occasionall track days with the buddies but mainly a daily with a good kick is what I want outa this car.

My wagon will do high 12's with the right driver. You don't need much with these cars.

What tranny do you have ?

I'm on a vf52, catless up/dp, GS tmic, stock fueling.

You need a great Tuner, I use www.tuningalliance.com

You can get a header and up pipe for $140 ? what shape is the header in ? they are expensive.

The dp and turbo have to come out to replace the up pipe.

When you do this job, there are other small things you should do also. New oil return hose, remove banjo filter, I bolt the turbo to the up pipe. You might want to look into a turbo inlet hose. They don't like it when they are old and you mess with them.

Keep the stock air intake, its hard to beat.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wouldn't waste my time or money on cheap ebay parts. Why go through it twice when you can buy quality parts to begin with and only have to do it once?

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

The dp and turbo have to come out to replace the up pipe.

Not necessarily. I changed my uppipe three months ago. The only thing I had to take out was the headers. Then you *carefully* pull the up pipe from the bottom. If not careful, you may bump the half moon gasket at the back of the passenger side head.

Although you do have to loosen the dp from the turbo, so that you can access the up pipe bolts.

Thanks for the info, car is a 5eat. I have a perrin drop in filter and plan on keeping the box, as far as the intercooler goes, is there a huge difference between, say the grimspeed over the perrin? Due to core size? Or will I see just about the same performance with the smaller units like avo /perrin?

As far as ebay parts go, it was just a thought, they can be surprisingly durable. When it comes to it, pipe is pipe, if it works it works. The biggest issue it comes down to is there material/welds and Fitment.

But there's always a chance u get a lemon and it just sucks.

Lot of people look down upon it, Il admit I have used it in my past cars, (intercoolers, piping, even a tial clone bov) and they work preety dam good and hold up preety well.

Do not buy the perrin/ipr/torque solutions intercooler. They do not fit. It will cause more issues that it's worth. Source: I have one....

I'm a fan of ebay parts too, but there are certian things you don't skimp on...

Pre turbo exhaust parts: if a weld fails or there's slag in the pipe you cant see, by-by turbo. I even broke my rule and bought a 'battleground' 1.5 scroll header. What should have been a 2hr install took 6. It did not fit and rubbed multiple places. It still rubs at WOT. It cost me $300.

The cheap UEL headers have a small collector and reduce power at anything more than stock boost. There are a few threads on them.

Do not buy any cheap pre turbo parts with a flexjoint. I've seen a few pictures of the aftermath of the flex blowing up in <100 miles.

Those tmic have the same issue, they can be difficult to get the TB hose to say on.

Both my Legacy's have now the GS tmic.

IMO with a 5eat, don't waste you money on the a header. Do the down pipe and a tmic and a great tune. Drive that for a while then decide your next step.

Make sure the engine is sound before you sink a lot of money into injectors and fuel pump.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What if I ported/polish the stock collectors and made a custom crosspipe? Im sure there would be some gains then? I can have a nice thick crosspipe made for literaly 20 bucks at my local shop.

Question is, is a flex section needed In the cross pipe (like the grimspeed)? Or will a solid piece be a better choice? just like people avoid a flex in the up pipe.

No, don't touch the exhaust ports on the manifold. These are not like other cars. Porting of the heads is best left to the experts.

NASIOC has a thread about how much damage you can do.

IMO stop worrying about the stock exhaust, you need to change it, you have 5eat. its not going to like to much HP.

You need to find a great Tuner, its much more important.

Gasket matching the manifolds does not do anything. Actually porting the entire manifold does. Grimmspeed use to make a set, they show up used about every other month for ~$300 with the GS crosspipe.

The last time I priced out making a custom crosspipe, material cost was ~$50 for mild steel and ~$100 for stainless. The flexjoint being 1/2 that cost. You MUST use a 'turbo' flex joint because of the heat and pressure.

Ported manifold+crosspipe is ~10hp and ~$300. A name brand ELH is ~40hp and ~$1000.

The 08-09 cars can not use a modified transmission valve body. You will be limited to <300hp in order to keep the transmission in 1 piece.

Some people learn to tune themselves....

Grimmspeed or Processwest intercoolers seem to be the best two choices. Both fit like a glove.

As for the up pipe, unless you want to run an external waste gate, there is no huge benefit to change from an already catless up pipe. In fact many people remove their cated up pipe and install a stock catless one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best way to lose horsepower=port it yourself. What Max said is absolutely true. As for the Perrin intercooler, I have one and it fits fine. I did a small modification on the TBH end bracket and it goes on and off fine. The goal is to put it on and never have to take it back off.

One thing you'll want to get is a Mr. Gasket 738G Chevy Water Outlet gasket. It's an infinitely reusable aluminum/silicone gasket that fits the turbo/intercooler flange perfectly and virtually eliminates any boost leaks there.

• 1 month later...

As for the up pipe, unless you want to run an external waste gate, there is no huge benefit to change from an already catless up pipe. In fact many people remove their cated up pipe and install a stock catless one.

anybody have the (2007?) part # for the catless up pipe?

thanks

PM m sprank, he's close to you, he can get you what ever you need. wwwinfamousperformance.net

You'll want to get to know him. He's the "go to guy" on the west coast.

Archived