LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT build thread - xAgyex

xAgyex

A few days I got I got a misfire code (P0303 - Misfire Cylinder 3 - passenger rear cylinder). It seems to only happen in the morning when I start the car and don't let the key stay in the crank position for 2 seconds. I would think injectors might be clogged...but I will always start on the easy and check stuff first, so will change spark plug and coil pack.

While changing the passenger side spark plugs, I noticed that they were dirty and tips were white, so maybe running too lean. But I'm no expert and don't have a Cobb Accessport to verify...oh well.

Miles: 170,494

Advance auto coil pack - $60+

Spark plugs - NGK Laser Iridium SILFR6A - just got 2 $25

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I keep getting the P0303 and it is frustrating as heck. But I finally caved and changed that Fuel Injector. Wow Subaru, why would you make it that hard for car guys to work on their cars. That was definitely a hard job, but I was able to complete it. Here are some helpful tips.

*So far 200 miles and the CEL has not returned*

Injector from Amazon - $33.74

***Dont forget to kill fuel pump***

http://i.imgur.com/vzcdsJM.png

http://i.imgur.com/at469wy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7snq29U.jpg

1. Remove the coolant reservoir after removing the two top holes and joining them together. This will prevent spilling and leaking from the radiator.

http://i.imgur.com/10kco2K.jpg

2. Use a zip tie to hold the coolant reservoir in place while you work on the rear injector.

http://i.imgur.com/4X1PusN.jpg

3. Clean up the wires before starting the removal

http://i.imgur.com/26Qv9re.jpg

4. Remove gray cap with sharp blade ##SLOWLY##

http://i.imgur.com/798eoKg.jpg

5. To install seat the injector (THAT WAS A TOUGH THING TO DO), then rotate it till the clip area is point down towards the ground, then put the retaining clip in, then rotate the injector back.

http://i.imgur.com/AZTtL4k.jpg

• 3 months later...

So noticed that no one on LGT has ever talked about Engine Oil Stabilizers or Engine Oil Stop Leaks. I figured I will be the dummy here since my LGT is just a normal non-modified car with almost 200k miles. Wish me luck.

Problem: Minor engine oil leak, not on the ground, thus I think its internal. Car blows minor small white smoke in morning (probably moisture), also car blows a puff of smoke when I punch it (so I don't punch it).

Goal: Currently at 175,000 miles. Use Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak (will use half of the recommended amount in case I need to drain out quick).

UPDATE: Dec 5th, 2017: The Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak, helped a little bit, enough to save me from topping off every gas fill up. Basically, I was topping off about 1 quart every week, but with the Stop Leak, it is cut down to 1 quart every month (just about). Still, there is something going on, so going to replace the PCV today. Please understand that the Stop Leak was just to help slow down the issue, I always believed the PCV is the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10278-Engine-Stop/dp/B001KXN3YQ

41J16Oea%2BuL.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting around to replacing the PCV. Been drinking a lot of oil.

Miles: 176,833

81MDkvE43EL._SL1500_.jpg

Subaru PCV 11815AB711 - $30.00 free shipping from amazon

I have to say Subaru's suck when it comes to self-maintenance NOT friendly. A simple thing in most cars such as PCV change takes over 2 hours in a Subaru and to be honest I don't think this part is meant to be changed often or ever. Had to cut clips and the lower hoses as they were both frozen.

New vs Old PCV

3TjoNbJ.jpg

KBqtgEM.jpg

61-gJz-j3LL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, the retaining clips below are great for the Engineer Cover if you need them:

GM Body/Bumper Retaininers 461030A or 461030B

• 2 months later...

A few days ago a chip that we have had for over 2 years started to grow. I called "Auto Glass Warehouse" in Hyattsville, MD this morning at 8 am and they were here at 10:30 am and finished by 11:30 am. That is what I call good service. Here is to hoping the new aftermarket glass holds up.

Mileage: 179,163

Cost: $192.50

I highly recommend using them if you are in Baltimore City/County area (410)455-004. This is the second time I used them and have been pleased.

--Crack in glass--

yuamrf6.jpg

--Auto Glass Warehouse came to my house and replaced it--

dkaCAI3.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently I realized that my cruise control was not working. I was able to identify that I can enable the switch, but when i try to set the speed it would not work. I had no CEL or any errors. So decided to check if the switch on the clutch for cruise control to see if it was broken, and found that the rubber stopper was missing. I replaced it with a small screw, washer and nut. Problem solved.

Ih6anrA.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good OL Subaru throwing the P0171 CEL again. Just cleaned MAF and replaced air filter, and just for the heck of it did an oil change. Another reason I love Teslas so much now. No more of these silly errors.

Current mileage: 184,277

oRGazUn.jpg

Used:

Engine Oil: Castro GTX 5w30

Engine Oil filter: Purolator PBL14610

Engine air filter: A35592

6WS9hpM.jpg

tUS6ar4.jpg

SgD0gw6.jpg

For your viewing pleasure...got a 2014 Tesla Model S as the new family car. Its great for long road trips. Keeping the LGT as the workhorse until it goes.

iDWSpJN.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally, after many months of not taking my LGT to the dealership for normal work, I finally caved after ordering 2 axles and 2 hubs that failed back to back less than a day apart. I guess its very true you get what you pay for. Now I have to spend over $1200 to get the front passenger axle and hub and transmission seal and abs sensor all fixed. I just dont have the time for any more bad parts...plus my wife drives the LGT most.

Look at the damage:

U1rI4cb.jpg

GjAaQJ7.jpg

Caliper bracket bolts broke in half...this was hell to get out afterward. I had to replace the whole caliper bracket by purchasing a new caliper. = $250+ yvZkc9B.jpg

• 2 months later...

Current Mileage: 187,033

SHORT STORY: If you hear throwout bearing both on and off the clutch pedal. Park the car and replace clutch ASAP.

Well the clutch took a big crap on my wife on her way to work a few weeks ago. We did not hear anything until the day of the clutch failure. That morning I helped her pack the car for work and noticed when she was pressing or not pressing the clutch pedal that there was a lot of throughout bearing noise. Stupidly I told her to drive under 60 MPH and I will get the car to the show that weekend. She was on the road for about 30 minutes and then bam, smoke coming out, clutch pedal vibrating like crazing, and noise like a wolf howling (her description).

Towed to Subaru dealership and they wanted $2200+ to fix, plus they believed I may need a new transmission. I trusted this Subaru dealership, but I strongly did not think a clutch job should be that much. Wish I had the time to do it myself.

I was able to reach Agile Auto and towed it to them. They repaired it for under $1000, but I also purchased the parts myself beforehand.

Parts:

EXEDY CLUTCH PRO-KIT+RACE FLYWHEEL SUBARU IMPREZA WRX LEGACY GT 2.5L TURBO EJ255 - $399.99

Labor+fluids+transmision axle seals - $960.78

Kw1utTj.jpg

1i8cGyX.jpg

b1Ki5cW.jpg

z0ju5op.jpg

JvJttgF.jpg

tuN2gDN.jpg

Current Mileage: 187,162

The dreaded P0171 returned with full force after the clutch job. I checked air intake box for proper installation. Checked MAF (cleaned it). Reset and it returned. Unplug MAF and it ran perfectly.

I was told by Agile Auto that best to stick with MAF sensor from Denso which is OEM. I had the cheaper Amazon brand MAF, so decided to replace it first.

Replaced MAF and air filter today and wow what a difference. Drives like a champ now. I will definitely stick as much as possible to OEM parts, especially engine related parts. If you have P0171 order OEM MAF right away.

Look at the cheapo MAF vs Denso OEM MAF, a clear difference:

VjbLUJk.jpg

mk0RD6N.jpg

Updated the intake filter to Perrin- $43.20

4PAPCye.jpg

70eQI0w.jpg

zhDrDHU.jpg

• 2 months later...
Wow I wish you lived in NH so I could be your mechanic! The prices shops charge is ridiculous. My wagon just hit 223K miles and I recently did all the same work you are describing.

Cutlassjim, I wish you lived near as well. But the local shop I found is good to go for what I need them for. I will continue to do as much as I can on my own.

Wow I wish you lived in NH so I could be your mechanic! The prices shops charge is ridiculous. My wagon just hit 223K miles and I recently did all the same work you are describing.

one of the few diy threads in my bookmarks.

i will standby for more.

Cutlassjim, thanks for following me. I hope my information is helpful to you and anyone. Sometimes wish others shared like this as well.

Current mileage: 189806

Replaced the rear tires with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - 215/45R-17.

7Jw3iAp.jpg

The shop messed up one of the valves and I had to get it replaced. Besides that so far so good. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is highly rated so wanted to try them out this winter. Yes I only installed 2 and on the rear, that is because I have almost new Continental DWS in the front. I will probably rotate the Michelin forward shortly.

gO85jdS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished through reading the thread. I love the detail and appreciate all the time you have clearly put into this. However, you seemed to bounce between wanting and not wanting to tune the car to get it running better. Did you end up tuning?

• 5 weeks later...
I would not run two different type/brand/model of tires unless you have measured them and are certain they are within 2/32 of each other. If they aren't you have a good chance of cooking some diffs or tranny.

Infosecdad, thanks for the heads up. All tires measured, and I had planned to get another 2 set of the same snow tires half way through the snow season.

Just finished through reading the thread. I love the detail and appreciate all the time you have clearly put into this. However, you seemed to bounce between wanting and not wanting to tune the car to get it running better. Did you end up tuning?

slowandlow, thanks I really like keep records and sharing with the community. Knowledge is power right?

I did not tune the LGT, after discussing with a few tuning shops. I decided not to tune, because it is primarily a daily/grocery getter. If I had planned to modify even one thing then I would have tuned. It is 100% stock and thus tuning shop said don't waste your dollars. With all that being said, most of my issues were resolved with an OEM MAF, so if you have any issues dont get aftermarket MAF, just go straight for the OEM MAF.

Archived