LegacyGT.com

My LGT Turbo RANT - Poor Interior Quality and MORE, read this Subaru

robinasu

Mine had 80, so it had been out for more than a few times :( But it rides good. I spoke to the porter and he said many people had tried to buy it, but something always fell through for them. I came, I saw, I bought! :D

And I was a dummy because I think I would have been able to get it for cheaper if I would have taken into account that it was there for so long, as is I got it for 180 over invoice.

X

---

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not drive the car before taking delivery? Many of the issues you listed would have been noticable then, or certainly within the first few hours of ownership.

I took possession of my car about 3 weeks after it left the assembly line so I didn't have to worry about anything that would have happened to it while sitting on the lot.

16) Dual climate control is worthless. ..Annoying that you have to adjust both knobs. Subaru, make the control like Infiniti's ACC - add a button to switch in and out of dual/single mode.

Wow, quite a list. I must say that a year into my first Subaru ownership experience I'm still pleased with the car. Maybe I lucked out. On mine the stinky clutch went away after several thousand miles.

I must agree with you on one point though - the climate control is complete guano. I leave mine off most of the time and just use the windows. Subaru should send the engineer that came up with that design back to school.

Best of luck.

Looks like I lucked out too. Mine is overall pretty solid with a few little plasticky creaks when I go over railroad tracks and such. I've only driven a couple cars that were totally rattle-free and they weren't anywhere near as stiff as the GT is. I'm coming from a WRX wagon that rattled like a 20-year-old F150 loaded with empty coffee cans, so the GT is like a Mercedes compared to that.

I've found on my other cars that strut tower bars can reduce rattles and squeaks because they keep the chassis from flexing so much. Helped my Integra a lot.

I have that wierd hesitation at times also; the WRX did it too.

I'm positive your assesments are spot on, but some things I've noticed that rattled in my Leggy were the seat belts.. Tuck those things in.. they have this bad habit of rattling against the plastic interior panels Especially the B pillars. Ttook me a while to figure that out myself.

I have an 03..only rattles I really have is my hatch (BH) and the retractable cover that goes over the back.. but that to me is more or less caused by the natural flex of the body.

2200 mile LGT2006 AT - none of the problems. Rough idle? My previous car was S4 and was 10 times worse. LGT is smooth as butter. No hesitation whatsover. Quality of the interior could be better, but no rattles. Could it be becuse it's 2006? No idea

Well, I am at 14,000 miles, and I have not have many issues - definately not the fit & finish issues you have had - no rattles.

I do agree with:

10) Car hesitates randomly under high load at any rpm, especially with A/C on and 4 passengers - it doesn't happen much or often - but it happens.

16) ACC - There are much better systems out there. I use it only in manual mode.

19) Stink Clutch - only on a really heavy start do I get it - only for a minute then it is gone. Maybe only 2-3 times in 14k.

20) MPG - The price for fun!!! Not the cars fault - if you look at the MPG for most 250 hp cars - you will see the LGT is average.

21) Fuel Filler - Yes, Subi engineers could have done a better job.

I am happy with my Subi quality. Quality consistancy does seem to be an issue with the Subi USA plant, but if you look at a BMW forum - you will see that they also have issues.

no car is perfect when you are paying 30k, or even more than that. my gt does have some flaws, i hate:

1. i do beleive i have rattling, but not too bad

2. plastic scratches easily next to tranny

3. exterior paint sucks big time, too thin scratches so easily

thats about it, really. if you look at the legacy in general, its a pretty solid car. don't forget our 05s are redisigns, there is always a "risk" of encountering some problems on cars that have been completely redone.

I agree with most of your complaints. #1, 2, 3, 4 (my d/s mirror shakes), 7, 10, 19, 21, 22, 23

I HATE how this car idles and hesitates!!! It's really unaccaptable for CDN $45K car. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying from Willowdale Subaru in Toronto !!!! They gave me a car full of scratches. That clear plastic over gauges is scratched!!!! How the HEL* did they scratch that? I asked them to replace that plastic, and they told me no - in fact, the salesguy told me "you know, it's just a car to get you from point A to poing B. It will end up on a junk yard anyway". Exactly, I paid $45K for a car to get me from point A to point B !!!! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANY SCRATCHES !!!! They haven't done PDI on my car. When I picked up a car, I noticed after driving for a while on highway (I bought the car 400km away from where I live) that it pulls to right and steering wheel is TOTALLY OFF !!!! I got home and I called him and told him about it. He told me to take it to the closest Subaru service and get it done under warranty. I did that, my closest Subaru service (which is 200km away from my house) did an alignment (and now it pulls to left) and got denied from Subaru of Canada. Then I called a salesguy in Willowdale Subaru and he told me that Subaru of Canada is wrong and they should pay for it. He told me to call them, so I did. Lady I talked to in Subaru of Canada was supprised that he told me to call, instead, he was supposed to contact his contact in Subaru of Canada (district manager?) and get this issue resolved. Finally, after a week, they came up with a conclusion that either Willowdale or Trento (that's where the car was originally) should pay for alignment because Trento didn't have a record of doing it (they were aparentlly supposed to do the PDI). I started thinking if they did PDI at all!? One member from this forum sent me .pdf document of what was supposed to be done for PDI and I found a bunch of stuff that was not done. For instance, they were supposed check seat belts and my front pass. side seatbelt doesn't even work!!!! They were supposed to check for flaws on bumpers and I have one on a rear bumper. They were supposed to check all fluid levels and when I came home I had to take out about 1/2L of coolant because it was overfilled and it leaked out while driving home. Now I'm waiting to hear from Subaru of Canada. This is getting rediculus.

Sorry for a long reply, but this is only a small part of the story that happaned to me. I will write a full report and post it in Canadian section to warn everybody who is looking to get a Subaru.

Oh, yeah, and whenever I talked to Subaru of Canada, they keep telling me "This is between you and a delaer. I'm just trying to help you!" what a BS !!!! Just like someone here said, they won't even lift a finger to help their customers!!!!

This dealer gave me a car with scratches and whoever was "cleaning" the car, left fingerprints all over a-pillars and headliner !!!!

I'll be either requesting for another car or returning this one. I asked dealer to pay me back for PDI and they were literally laughing in my face. Both salesguy and manager were rude.

And really, for a brend new car, this car has a lot of hesitation and rattles.

I also have a 93 MX6 (which is a first model of 2nd generation MX6 just like 2005 Legacy is a first model of last gen.) and it has 210,000km and has no suring/idling/hesitating problem !!!

Again, sorry for a long post.

p.s. Mine is also 08/04 make. I couldn't belive they sold me car that is 1 year old. I waited purposely this long to get the last batch of '05 because of hesitaton problem.

i bought my lgt two weeks ago. it had been on the lot for a year, the stickers were expired this month. there were four dents in the doors, because the dealer has to pack the cars in so tightly. it had 220 miles on it when i test drove it. when i went back to buy it, they brought it back from detail. i checked it over, and i noticed 2 dents on the passengers side. they made an appointment to get them removed. after i took delivery of the car and drove off the lot, about an hour later i noticed the other 2 dents on the driver's side. i called my salesman just to let him know, and they took care of all 4. and updated my stickers. for free. you know why? because these are things i noticed before i took the car. and if i had noticed that the car pulls to the right and the steering wheel was off, i would have told them about that too.

the point is, please check your cars before you take them home. completely. you shouldnt be scared to seem anal or stupid. it's a large investment. i am in car sales, and for all i know, you could have hit a big pothole on the way home and smacked your door into something while getting out of it. no wonder they dont want to fix it. believe me, salespeople would much rather have you look over the car for 20 minutes and point out things wrong rather than dealing with the hassle of trying to figure out whether or not damage was done before or after the car was sold.

refuse to take the car if it is banged up and drives funny. you paid for a brand new car, the salesman will understand. move it into different light, walk around it 15 times. ask to drive it once more around the parking lot. i dont know. do whatever, but dont blindly sign papers and drive off the lot. even if it's dirty, refuse to take it and come back in a few hours when it went through detail again. dont let your excitement blind you.

Anybody else have issues like this?

I car is very very solid and built very well - built 7/04. The only problem I had was caused from the RE92's, which I have replaced and it's like a whole new car. The interior for me is holding up very well and so is the body and paint.

The brakes from time to time are a little noisey - but they have a lot of life left to them and the rotors are fine. The good thing is that they do not dust.

The gas mileage is great on the highway - I average from 26 to 27.1 mpg on the highway, mixed driving is 21 mpg, and city only is about 16-18 mpg. For a turbocharged car - I'm happy with that.

The car feels a bit hesistant - yes a turbo can be that way at times - especially when it's very hot out and your have the A/C on. That is to be expected. You have to understand it's a H4 engine.

- Mike

This is my 3rd Subaru.

After 15 months and 22,000 miles, it's definitely the worst for fit/finish/rattle issues. The STi was built much better. Subaru has plenty of work left if they want to compete in the "nice mid-sized" class.

djtk>> well, it is very had to find every little thing, even in 20 min of looking at the car! This is strictly salesman's fault because he was rushing me all the time. In fact, at the end when we went over all the buttons in the car, he said 'good luck with the car' and took off. I then noticed that cigaret lighter was missing and told him about it. He brought me one. When I came home I noticed that there's no hook for the floor mat. Straches on that clear plastic over gauges are not visible when you have sunshades. It was a hot and sunny day, so therefore I didn't see them. I saw it when I was cleaning the car. Therefore, it is almost impossible to find every scratch or when first looking at the car - not everyone has a sharp eye.

Alignment I didn't notice that it was bad until exiting Greater Toronto Area and when trafic was clearing. It was a Saturday afternoon and all you do is shift from lane to lane. There are also cureves so honestly I wasn't even paying attention on anything inside a car. After trafic cleared, I noticed dirty firgerprints stains on a pillar, headliner and visiors. I knew I wouldn't do much if I took it back (probably about 100km drive each way) because, like I said earlier, it was Sat. afternoon, and their service was probably closed. I did call him the next business day and pretty much he told me to F*** off. He was rude and didn't want to talk. He was denying everything I said. He did, however, appologize about figerprints. About alignment he told me to take it to closest dealer and have that done under warranty. I did that, but the other delaer got denied by Subaru of Canada. They checked with SofC and were told that as of July 1st alignments were not covered under warranty. I called Willowdale and told the salesperson about what happened. He then, told me that it's not true and call SofC, and so on and so on...don't feel like retelling the story.

About strach, they told me to drive there (800km both ways) to look at the strach, then drive again (800km) to change it. I told him that there's really nothing to see, there are 4 straches about 2-3 inches long. They, of course, didn't want to talk about it and wanted me to drive there so they can see it first.

Again, about alignment, when I found out that there was no record of alignment, and figured out that they didn't do PDI, I called them and ask them to give me money back for PDI because they didn't do it. They told me, 'why won't you let us help you? why dont you drive here so we can take a look at it?' AGAIN?? I have to drive 800km so they can take a look at it...look at what?? something that was supposed to be done before I picked up a car? The worst part is, Subaru of Canada isn't doing anything about this. This is a bad reputation for Subaru. They should control their dealerships reagrdless that they are individually owned and operated, because I don't think I'll buy another Subaru ever again if this is the case.

My g/f owns a 2003 Civic since new. After a year she noticed that a piece of plastic in a back was cracked. Honestly, there are two of us and no one ever sat in the back of that car. Honda replaced it no questions asked. And these idiots are literally laughing in my face when I tell them about a problem. That Civic was $20,000 less then LGT !!!!!

THIS IS BS !!!!!

I think I can safely assume none of you guys have owned any GM cars lately. My Grand Am has had far worse problems, some of which are really inexcuseable. Example: leaky LIM gasket, coolant gets into your oil which causes all sorts of havoc - the 3.1/3.4L V6 engine has been around for 11 years now, you'd think they would have fixed it by now. It's not a cheap fix either.

After 5 yrs and 76K miles I've had 3 power window regualtors break, unfortunately the most recent one was after my warranty expired. Meanwhile all the power gadgets (locks, windows, mirrors) on our '95 Legacy still work fine.

I don't care who makes the car, NEVER buy a new model in the 1st year of production. There will always be some bugs to work out.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Last resort is not to pay his bill and have it repossessed.:mad:

That would be the stupidest thing you could do. If you don't like the car, sell it. Why would you get it repo'ed and ruin your ability to buy another car?

Archived