LegacyGT.com

My 08 LGT needs a full repaint. . . considering WRB. . .thoughts?

There's a Ford Edge in that color at a little mom & pop diner I eat at often. Asked my server if she knew who it belonged to and she said it was hers, and she even knew the name of the color! I find a lot of people don't even know the year of their vehicle, let alone the trim designation (LX, GT, LE, etc.) or the name of their paint color.

But yeah it catches my eye every time I see it. She keeps her truck clean so I'm sure that helps with the wow factor. Can't wait to see what this LGT looks like assembled!

Was doing parts inventory earlier today. . . we forgot to paint the damn hood scoop. It got buried under a bunch of other stuff and I noticed it wasn't in the hood when it got sprayed (it would have been painted separate anyway). Oh well, still have rockers, rear bumper, and one fog light bezel to paint so we'll just do it in that batch. Got a big ass bug right in the middle of the trunk lid so that's getting sanded out & reshot anyway.

RJ255: What headlights are you painting tuxedo black? Doing the housings or masking them or what?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RJ255: What headlights are you painting tuxedo black? Doing the housings or masking them or what?

We (Lightwerkz, the shop I work for) did a set of 2015 GTR headlights and also F150 headlights in Tuxedo black. The GTR needed masking on the housing because the customer wanted to keep some of the chrome/silver.

Starting to look like a finished car again!

Paint/body guy has been taking it easy this week. Next step is color sanding & buffing the whole car, then I'll finish putting it back together. Mirrors and door weatherstrips are still off until that's finished.

Gotta get the windshield replaced. It's scratched. Oh well, needed to get the glass guys here to put the back & quarter glass back in anyway.

frickin' love this inky blackness!

20160609_235738.thumb.jpg.31935920b33f7c8c8c784e328dd442af.jpg

20160609_235700.thumb.jpg.4ed931a4d6009ab6ebf7fe5f875689f2.jpg

If you drive the car a lot, you may want to look into the 3M clear bra. I should have done that when I had my wagon painted a few years back. My Spec B has it on the front bumper ,hood and mirrors. No chips in the paint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Always makes me happy to see a car brought back from the brink instead of being parted out and scrapped. Very good call on the paint color though... as much as I liked some of the suggestions earlier in the thread, the design of the Legacy gives off a more mature aura which wouldn't match with more vibrant colors IMO. Hopefully you can get some outdoor daylight shots of the paint when it's all sanded and buffed!

If you drive the car a lot, you may want to look into the 3M clear bra. I should have done that when I had my wagon painted a few years back. My Spec B has it on the front bumper ,hood and mirrors. No chips in the paint.

My ex gf does that and window tint. We're still friends. Might have to look into it.

Not sure if this'll wind up my daily or weekender. I have a boring little 13 Impreza cvt 5 door that's my daily beater. kinda hard to beat the utility of a wagon.

Got first round of color sanding in today. Put the door weatherstrips back on but glass isn't coming until next effing friday so gotta live sans roof mouldings (and glass weatherstripping as that's what it attaches to) until then.

Rockers are back off for some deeper wet sanding (had some runs), spoiler is getting resprayed. . .c-mod grille should be here soon. Will probably paint all that in one batch. Shopping for HID fogs in the meantime.

Sunshine pics (albeit it's still dirty)

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231851&stc=1465650099

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231852&stc=1465650247

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231853&stc=1465650247

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231855&d=1465650247

To summarize its current condition:

-needs some spot blocking and more buffing

-spoiler and rockers need extra love

-grille has not arrived

-glass goes back in Friday. Roof mouldings/glass weatherstrip will go on after that.

will be tinting all the things once paint is done.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress update. . .

-glass is in

-interior is back in

-all buffed & shiny.

Bought some new OEM mud flaps as my old ones were shite.

Think I'm sticking with silver for the wheels. More I look at it they just look right. Gunmetal would be novel but it's nice to have some contrast.

Got an aftermarket grille from Cmod. Showed up painted satin black. I wanted it body color (except for the mesh). Paint guy primered it, shot base and clear and we both watched in horror as the clear began to look like a teenager's face after binging on pizza and chicken wings for a solid month. Paint guy spent 15 hours fixing that mess. . . had to strip it all the way down to base fiberglass, smooth it out, and re-prime/paint/clear. Emailed Cmod to ask what the eff they used for paint, they said "no big deal, just prime first". well duh, we did that. Anyway lesson learned. . if you buy a grille from Cmod and are considering painting it body color. . . probably want to test first. No idea if it was just outgassing or reacting to the shitty paint they used. Should have just bought an R-Rev. . .would have been cheaper.

Had a GMS exhaust kit laying around I bought in a group buy like 4-5 years ago. Been tripping over it all this time. Bolted it on as I robbed the factory mufflers off this one for an 06 NA I fixed a few months ago. Sounds burbly. I like it. Not a huge fan of the tips sticking out 4" proud of the rear bumper but that's what the kids like so :shrug:

Added a little bit of carbon fiber vinyl over the chrome strip on each tail light. Not sure if that's a keeper or not. Makes me wanna do the exhaust in black chrome if it stays.

To do:

-ultra mega interior detail. Like, seriously. sooo much dust.

-pull front bumper, install aftermarket HID fogs after making some brackets and finding a place to stash all the ballasts.

-pull rear bumper, install correct foam absorber (has an 05 one in there now, makes the bumper stick out all poofy) and touch up rivet heads so people who are 24" tall don't point out that you can see shiny rivet heads when looking straight in at body/bumper seam.

-install left rear wheel skirt. Lost that in the fray and I'm too cheap to buy another one at $80 when the parts car on the hill has one but I'm also too lazy to drag a jack up there so I can get the damn left rear wheel off in the dirt.

Also put the first chip in the paint when I was reinstalling the doors. :sad: Paint guy says he can fix it. It's right where the quarter window meets the door. Oh well. . it happens.

20160630_083046.jpg.7fbfecb9d5998a32b69b66c2e956ad9c.jpg

20160630_083112.jpg.9c74f5733d846dda2fa78e5ef9fbab39.jpg

20160630_083134.jpg.f17eb4f6553118152e52ba6cc6f36472.jpg

20160630_083202.jpg.b7a0e6c2ae5817132e619089d1f48b60.jpg

20160630_083242.jpg.9c6349a58817686b8cfae7807e4fe819.jpg

20160630_083327.jpg.e845a0531829657ee7e32912cc26dc2e.jpg

20160630_083419.jpg.a7f83c2e303cbae9b884245c4fd3e6d1.jpg

effing door glass weatherstripping is $80/ea and I need all 4 of them as the flimsy little screw tabs that attach them are all broken.

Tell me about it :mad:. I've been wanting to buy these suckers but man they are pricey for a piece of plastic.

But nice work man. Your car looks great. I've been wanting to repaint our car too. Clear coat (not OEM btw) has come off three doors, hood, front bumper, both fenders. A total mess :(

I like the grill. FWIW, I ordered a GT emblem from Japan and glued it in with RTV in the lower left hand corner. To me it ad's definition to the grill.

Good Job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Max, yah I'm thinking it needs something. . . it's kinda boring as it sits. I'll probably fog the vertical core support and condensor behind it with semigloss black, maybe order some different grille fabric for it. Not a fan of the cheap diamond "Gutter screen" the Cmod folks included.

But I'll probably put a medallion of some kind in it.

Dre, if you've got the facilities, get on it. I just put an ad on craigslist and started interviewing them. More of them out there than you'd think. Lots of guys have the talent but no place to work.

utc_pyro. . . i've honestly lost count. think 10 or so here and prob. half that many at my mom's place, few more at my buddy's house in Kodak (who has like 40 of his own, we trade parts a lot).

Of the ones that run/drive/are registered: 13 impreza, 2 baja turbos, 07 WRX, this 08 GT, and an 06 Tribeca.

You might say I have an addiction. :D

utc_pyro. . . i've honestly lost count. think 10 or so here and prob. half that many at my mom's place, few more at my buddy's house in Kodak (who has like 40 of his own, we trade parts a lot).

Of the ones that run/drive/are registered: 13 impreza, 2 baja turbos, 07 WRX, this 08 GT, and an 06 Tribeca.

You might say I have an addiction. :D

Hum... You don't happen to have a '05-'09 wagon/outback with a sunroof do you?

Sounds like a fun collection though!

Hum... You don't happen to have a '05-'09 wagon/outback with a sunroof do you?

Sounds like a fun collection though!

yeah I've got an 05 OBXT (one of the ones at mom's). What do you need? Better yet just come up and pick what you need. . . I'm not crazy on parting stuff out online these days.

front end was damaged on that one and the driveline is 100% gone/sold but it still has most of the interior. beige leather.

Archived