LegacyGT.com

My 08 LGT needs a full repaint. . . considering WRB. . .thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ironic. I was driving behind this Audi today and thinking to myself that my wagon would look really, REALLY good in this color. Too bad it got a paint job last year :mad:

My vote is for purple. Black on purple would be tasteful and unique.

http://i.imgur.com/k5LpTsrh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Sooo what's the verdict?!? Also, about how much will/did it cost?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Kinda leaning towards the basics. . . pearl white, obsidian black, or maybe laser red.

Body shop that I like to use has been sitting on my 07 WRX for 4 weeks now. In the meantime I finished an 08 Legacy by using another shop for finish paint work (I do the structural stuff and cut-in paint, don't have the skills or facilities for the pretty stuff) and I feel like they kinda took my head off. . so I'm waiting for the preferred shop.

Cost will depend on the color I go with but it'll probably be in the $2-3k range. . . and that's with me doing the jambs/underhood and R&R'ing everything I don't want taped off. . . which is everything. Lights, mouldings, weatherstripping, badges, etc.

• 6 months later...

So this is finally happening. . . here's what I started with:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231231&stc=1&d=1464618757

Bought it over 2 years ago. . . kept getting overwhelmed by the prospect of having to replace those quarters. I've done it a couple of times on other cars since so I'm waay more comfortable now. Having good tools helps. . . Blair rotabroach spot weld cutters are the shiznat once you learn how to use them.

It may look hopeless in the pics but it has some redeeming features: it runs great and had an immaculate Carfax full of lots of on-time servicing, including timing belt/water pump/etc. Also was fully loaded including nav and had a nice minty black leather interior and decent miles (124k).

Debated parting it out but as 75% of the damage was bolt-on stuff that I already had---in color---I opted to fix it. No frame damage. . not sure what happened but it looked like they ran it off road through some scrub brush and spun through it. Light damage all the way around.

In addition to what you can see, it also had cosmetic damage to the oil pan and trans pan. .no punctures; both were replaced, plus it had a bent inner tie rod end (not uncommon when crashing a subie and easy to fix). I had the doors/trunk lid/rear bumper/tail lights from another 08 LGT I bought for parts, and got the rear quarters off another I already owned, so only stuff I bought new (body wise) was front bumper, fenders, and headlights. I do have a ton of sweat equity in this but shit like this is fun for me. Keeps me out of trouble.

A few months ago, I hired a disabled vet with an impressive body shop resume to do piecemeal work for me. He's done a bunch of work for me and a buddy of mine already. He's pretty awesome. Landed on his back jumping off a roof to avoid sniper fire in DS1, feeling the consequences of that to this day. He's got some PTSD so he has no desire to work in a high-stress production oriented body shop anymore, but 4-5 hours a day 3-4 days a week unsupervised he has no problem with. Works out good for both of us as I don't have enough stuff to do to keep him busy 40 hrs/week and he doesn't wanna work that much. He's got kids and likes being able to work around their schedule, and I like coming home from my day job and seeing progress made without having to be there to make sure it happened.

"Production" work slowed down (I rebuild a few wrecked subies and my buddy likes building hot rod GM's) so we started on the 08 LGT. Welded in the quarters last week and everything is in roughed in in primer, guide coat applied, and ready for blocking. . . then it's time to start shooting color.

Here's where we are now: https://goo.gl/photos/wHq4wWm91wXJt7Q67 (sorry I'm just gonna link to pics in my google albums, too lazy to download/re-upload them)

As the car is pretty much fully disassembled, a color change is no big deal. He'll shoot the jambs with the doors/trunk/hood off, then reassemble and shoot the rest of the car.

I'm trying to stay away from 3 stage colors (which includes most pearls) and am sort of favoring a late model Ford color called Tuxedo Black. It's a fairly heavy metallic (for a factory color) with a lot of depth and a nice warm hue to it up close. It's sort of like OBP on steroids, but still a nice, grown-up color befitting a grown-up sport sedan.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/bchandlerucf/ST/photo5-1.jpg

It's completely debadged (even the Subaru symbol on the trunk) and I'll be running a JDM or RRev grille up front, and yes, it'll probably be on the STi BBS rims. . . although I don't know what color they'll wind up being. I may powdercoat them or I have a gold set that I may swap on as I think that would look pretty nice with the warm black metallic.

Kinda wish I could find a set of the optional chrome insert rocker mouldings and tint them black. I've only ever seen one set and they were on an 06 Legacy SE in Atlantic Blue Pearl I just sold.

It'll probably be in color/clear by the end of the week. . .then reassembled/color sanded/buffed by next.

I'm gonna make a tour of some new cars today for the explicit purpose of figuring out what color to go with. Stay tuned!

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.0835afa6be7c3b1a20b3106ab4fb0885.jpg

Wow, can't wait to see it! I like that coffee black. But you sat on this car for 2 years without driving it?
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

It was stored in the dry and got started up regularly and a few oil changes along the way, but no, it's never been tagged or street driven since I've owned it.

But yeah, just checked. . . I bough it 5-21-14, so almost exactly 2 years ago.

I didn't have a donor car for the quarters until about 6-8 mos ago when I started this thread. I could have bought new ones but they're $500 each and $250 for the rear pan. . . stuff like that adds up quick.

Lol I took it to my garage and hired a guy part time to do paint/body work for me here at the house. I don't think I could afford to pay a shop to do this amount of tedious time vampire stuff. I do the stuff I can, like drilling out spotwelds or disassembling/reassembling things, he does all the prepping/primering/sanding/painting/buffing stuff.

But yeah we had to pull the back glass/quarter glass to weld in the quarter panels.

Doors are back on and he's shooting hood/trunk/fenders and some small bits today (mirror caps, dogleg mouldings, fuel door). Rockers and rear bumper still need to be sanded, primered and blocked down but glass should go back in pretty soon.

I have a list of about $400 worth of crap I need to order from Subaru that is either missing or can't be refinished easily. . .effing door glass weatherstripping is $80/ea and I need all 4 of them as the flimsy little screw tabs that attach them are all broken.

Will have about 80-100 hours of paint/body labor @$20/hr in it when it's all done, plus about $700 in materials (paint was $250/gal reduced, clear and primer are about $125/gal, plus a shitload of $7/roll masking tape, paper, glazing putty, etc.. . so probably $2500-3k. Y'all might think I'm crazy but I bought this car for $1k (running/driving albeit ugly as f*ck), figure I'll have about $6-7k in it when the dust settles. No way I could buy one for that. Debated parting it out but with 125k miles and a 5eat it would have been kinda 'meh' as far as big ticket driveline stuff goes. . . plus it grew on me and I have 2 other turbos with the correct number of pedals (05 Baja turbo and 07 WRX) so it's nice having something with some giddyup that I don't have to shift.

Now it's just a matter of keeping myself throttled back from doing stuff like putting subs in the rear deck while the glass is out :-)

Bumper lookin' all sexay and black, fenders in background hanging out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231618&stc=1&d=1465166119

just some of the carnage (damaged doors got bolted back onto the wreck that donated the good ones):

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231619&stc=1&d=1465166119

605261037_08gtfrontbumper.thumb.jpg.843a7ce1c91e73278833f8a619f8edbb.jpg

1372595296_08lgtcarnage.thumb.jpg.543bd51f7312b9275a35750950746dd5.jpg

Archived