LegacyGT.com

STi Swap w/ pics

I didn't take pics the whole way, but I will describe what comes off and how. Also I'll post a list of things you'll need to do this swap. I'll probably forgest some parts so just remind me!

*I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING THIS IN YOUR GARAGE*

I did it in the garage, and a lift would make it so much easier.

Your going to need the following parts:

Major Parts

STi Intercooler

STi Intake manifold (tgv's would be needed for a 100% swap)

STi turbo, or WRX style turbo

WRX style BOV

Gaskets for UP,DP,Intake manifold,throttlebody,BOV

HOSES

STi or WRX turbo inlet hose (LGT one works, but fitment issues arise)

STi or WRX recirculation hose for BOV. (do need on 100% atmosphere bov's)

Vaccum lines! (Either order most of the STi ones or go to HomeDepot)

STi I/C to throttle body "fitting"

Coolant Lines

STi turbo coolant lines (both inlet and outlet are 1 line. I just modified my stock one)

STi turbo oil feed (again i just modified my existing one)

Stupid little things

CLAMPS! (buy a few in all sizes)

nuts and bolts (the list was huge. Basically the stuff you pull off will work on another part)

PB blaster

Brakeleen

STi intercooler brackets

Removal of old parts: (disconnect battery)

1) Start out removing the engine cover.

2) Remove intercooler. Either w/ or w/o bov

3) Disconnect all visible vaccum lines attached to intake. Also brakets that hold solenoids. (also I would recommend that you use masking tape and mark ALL the lines from where they were connected to. It'll make it easier later) ALSO Disconnect the fuel lines right by the fuse box. There's 2 lines and 1 vent line.

4) Remove bolts that hold the small coolant resevoir on the top of the intake

5) Remove all the bolts that hold the manifold to the tgv's. ALSO there is a bolt that is UNDERNEATH the manifold. It's a 10mm. It holds the fuel lines to the manifold. You'll also need to disconnect the coolant lines that run to the throttle body. Do the bypass at this point if you'd like. LEAVE the Throttle body on the intake though. It's worthless to take it off now.

6) Disconnect the DP and remove. I didn't remove it, but placed it on the side out of the way. WATCH OUT FOR THE O2 sensor!

7) Disconnect turbo from the UP - 3 bolts. Leave the UP on you don't need to remove it. Leave the bolts connected that hold the UP to the block.

8) Disconnect the oil feed line on the top of the turbo. I only disconnected it from the turbo. I bent it out of the way. You don't want to bend it to much, or you'll kink it and have problems.

9) Disconnect the Coolant lines on the side of the turbo. It's going to leak. At this point you would think the turbo is ready to come off, but NO! There's a rubber hose underneath that is the oil return line. I was under the car, and this was a PITA! I was able to unclamp the bottom of the hose clamp with my fingers.

10) Pull off the old turbo!

11) Clean EVERYTHING!

Installation of New parts:

Pretty much you just do this the opposite of how you took everything off using the STi parts

I'll say though, Depending if you get coolant lines for the turbo, or modify the stock ones, put them on the STi turbo while it's off! Also, when you put the turbo on make sure that the rubber hose(oil return line) Is the first thing you make sure is secured.

I used and modified a lot of the legacy items. I was able to make it work, and it will be reliable, however to make this swap easier and with less work involved, order all the STI hoses, lines, fittings, etc.

If you use an USDM intake manifold, you'll need to drill out or slot mill the center holes that run between the intake runners. One of the pics I have show's how it is off.

The intercooler hits the AC line that runs from the firewall to the compressor. I just unbolted the braket and gently bent it ever so slightly. Also when your putting on the intercooler make sure you put the black fitting for the I/C to TB on first. then secure the turbo line.

Make sure everything is connected and start it up. You shouldn't hear any leaks. If you do, turn off the car and recheck. You may need to take the interooler off and check. Heck I had remove the MANIFOLD 4 times before I figured it all out.

Overall thoughts:

I still need to get it tuned, but I spent about $1,000 for everything. If you get all the STi hoses, lines, etc.... you probably looking at about $1,200. Is it worth $200....? That's up to you. It went pretty smoothly. I had an issue with the vacuum lines. I should have marked them when I took them off, but I didn't and I payed for it. I do notice the car is a lot smoother. I'll do an update once I get her protuned.

*Pics*

(Edited due to original pictures being deleted and different pictures showing)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for prices, here is what I paid.

STi Turbo - $375 Both the turbo and intercooler have less than 3k miles on them

STi Intercooler - $375

STi Intake manifold - $100 on ebay

WRX stock BOV - $25

STi Intercooler mount - $12

Gaskets - $50

Hoses and clamps - $15

Bolts - $5

$957 Total

You'll also need some fluids and what not so figure about $1000. I'll say that I got a few things through Subaru and since i work there I get a discount so for gaskets expect to pay a little more. Also i got lucky with the turbo and i/c and found them for a great deal with low miles. The intake manifold was cheap too.

I did it all myself! :rolleyes: It was a pain, but it was possible. It would have definately helped if I had some help. Overall it took me almost 6 hr's I would say. This includes removing the intake manifold 4 times to check and re-check vaccum lines. Not to mention my car was in the garage unusable for a week because I had the wrong manifold and needed to find one.

The car drives sooooo much better. Driveability increased dramatically. It's kind of rediculous... I did have a problem today. I went to the station, filled up, and when i went to start the car it turned over maybe 10 times before it started. I'll double check some stuff, but it's no biggy.

Great job. Might need to "sticky" this post.

1000 for this vs. 750 for perrin tmic + 1100.00 18g

Not bad. I already have the perrin tmic, way to make me question my route. :rolleyes: TDC already be making me question it. Curious how their turbo/fmic works out monday.

Awesome! :D And also, congrats!

Please do get some numbers - although this is again beyond where I wanted to take Winky, it's a most interesting setup, nontheless, and is one which both myself and my friends have long wondered about.

Again, great job - and yet again, congrats! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I didn't take pics the whole way, but I will describe what comes off and how. Also I'll post a list of things you'll need to do this swap. I'll probably forgest some parts so just remind me!

I still need to get it tuned, but I spent about $1,000 for everything. If you get all the STi hoses, lines, etc.... you probably looking at about $1,200. Is it worth $200....? That's up to you. It went pretty smoothly. I had an issue with the vaccum lines. I should have marked them when I took them off, but I didn't and I payed for it. I do notice the car is a lot smoother. I'll do an update once I get her protuned.

*Pics*

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/7.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/chruisser/1.jpg

First off, that is f'in' awesome!

Second, why did you not put in the sturdier STI Tranny while you had the car apart?

Cruiser,

I will be with you shortly. I just purchased the following parts:

STi intake manifold

STi VF34 turbo (~5K miles)

STi TMIC

STi pipping

Injen intake

Etc, etc.

I basically bought all the STi take off of a guys set up, including the stock exhaust which I will sell to some WRX lover. Maybe that will make me the first 5EAT LGT/STi. Then it is time for the pro-tune.

If anyone wants to see the car in person and shoot the $hit you can stop by Wayne Subaru on mon or wed nights. I'm there till 9. I'll need to get it protuned, but the fuel system is the weak link at this point. For anyone contemplating this setup, AT LEAST buy the parts! Find them and buy them if you can. With the intro of the 2.5L WRX, the market for STi takeoffs will take off which means inflated prices. As far as tranny goes, i've been contemplating it, but it'll cost about $4000 just for the parts. Nevermind the headache's of how to control the DCCD. Your probably looking at over $5500 for the STi trans swap when it's all said and done. I want to thank everyone for the props. Thanks to ShaggyGT for being the first to do this sort of setup and helping me/us out. It should be tuned by mid OCT. My funding is limited right now.

This now has me re-thinking my position. At this point, I already have the perrin tmic. I was planning on getting an 18g.

pdx tuning's setup looks interesting.

150.00 for flash + price of FP18g (?? not sure on pricing)

Its nice that their tune does not require fuel upgrades right off the bat. They may improve on this tune to make a little more power under the curve

I am torn between: sti route, tdc tunings fmic/turbo, pdxtuning fp18g + flash, deadbolt stage 2 vs TD06H-18G + protune(would require waiting for precision tuning to get setup)

(injectors fuel pump needed vs not needed)

I don't need to be the biggest and badest around. My wallet is not that deep. But running with stock GTO would be nice. I would like to be ~350-360 crank and be done.

I could see the market for perrin tmic's taking a dip.

Guest JessterCPA
If anyone wants to see the car in person and shoot the $hit you can stop by Wayne Subaru on mon or wed nights. I'm there till 9.

Wow. I definately will stop by. I live right there.

So you work with Billy & Pat? Cool beans.

See ya soon.

I work with Billy and Pat. I don't like saying this for several reasons, but I'm the owner's grandson.... I PAY for my car and everything though, no special treatment. Sometimes I wish I had a demo, but nope.

As far as contemplating this setup, there's pro's and con's to it.

Pro's:

Cheap

Room now for cheap used WRX style turbo's

Parts are readily available

Con's:

Not much improvement over Stage II with just STi parts

tuning could be an issue

As far as tuning, I'm running the AP Stage II map right now. It's probably a little bit slower than it was with the Stage II setup. Once it's tuned it'll be faster. I've also noticed 2 things.

1)I bought clear plastic hose from Lowe's but with the heat of the engine bay, the hoses like to expand and pop off, or collapse under the pressure. The car runs good so i'm not worrying about it immediately. Some zip ties fixed it.

2) I used a stock WRX bov, but I think it's too small(the springrate). I hear a boost leak which sounds like the air is forcing it open, and recirculating to the intake. I planned on getting a different BOV, so I need to buy it soon.

• 1 month later...

Archived