LegacyGT.com

DIY: 05-07 All-in-One Flip Key Mod Conversion

I have gotten a few PM's from members asking me about my flip key mod, so id figure i try and contribute to this helpful community! Before we start you can actually program up to 3 keys at once i believe and pay one time fee of $70. All keys getting programmed need to be at the dealer at once.

So i had my original valet key, then two modded flip keys all reprogrammed to my car.

Parts Required:

1.) $34 Remote Transmitter AIO Key FOB EBAY (Blade Style: Non-Laser Cut)

FCC ID: CWTWBU766

2.) $15 Subaru Flip Key Shell Conversion Kit EBAY (Blade Type: Non-Laser Cut)

3.)KrazyGlue

4.)Exacto-Knife/Precision Blade

5.) #1 Philips Screw Driver

6.) Current OEM Subaru Legacy Key

Step 1: (AIO Key Blank) Program Remote Transmitter

First thing you want to do is program your remote transmitter and make sure it locks/unlocks the car. Trunk should work as well. Each of these blank keys contain a blank immobilizer chip, and remote transmitter.

VIDEO! To program the Remote Transmitter, i used this video:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=212129&stc=1&d=1436225141

Step 2: Cutting Keys

Get ALL Key Blades Cut! So if youre doing a single key, get the AIO key cut AND the empty flip key cut. If youre doing 2 remotes, then you will do 2 flip key blanks and 2 AIO Blanks.

Option 1: Local Locksmith Cut (FREE)

I went to a local locksmith and they actually cut my keys for FREE! Other locksmiths may vary, but i got lucky. So just call around your local area and ask!

Option 2: Dealer Cut

Not sure what the price goes for the dealer to cut, but either way you have to have them programmed at the dealer anyways.

Once keys are cut, test them and make sure you can lock/unlock car, put in ignition turn to ON position. If these all work, we are ready for step 3!

Step 3: Programming Keys (Subaru Dealership) $70

Now that the keys are cut, and the remotes work, its time to program the keys! Make sure to have ALL keys present, when programming. Like stated before, i did TWO Flip key mods, so upon programming, i had my Valet Subaru Key, (2) AIO Key FOB w/Remote Transmitters (The Flip Key blanks can stay home for now). Once the keys have been programmed, use the AIO Newly programmed key to test and start the car. Then drive home with it, to make sure it works with no problems! Once you get home, you are ready to transfer the Remote and Immobilizer Chip to the empty Flip Shell!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=212130&stc=1&d=1436225141

Step 4: Transferring Remote and Immobilizer Chip from AIO Remote to Flip Key

This is the last step! Just be very careful when cutting the immobilizer chip out! If this gets damaged the car will not start. I used this video to help with the transfer

VIDEO! Convert to Flip Shell Housing

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=212131&stc=1&d=1436225141

And thats it! 4 Simple Steps! Hope this helps everyone! Happy modding!

keys2.jpg.9f3e4467bb2fc63f30ca9689cca5779f.jpg

Keyss.thumb.jpg.afd1f9098cf8ea6433117732f747bda5.jpg

Keytransfer.thumb.jpg.ec66fdfa5163b01b796d7f87a668c35d.jpg

Edited by BL5BO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would you need to sacrifice a key to get the transponder? The transponder should either be built into the key you want converted or on a small black housing by the bottom of the original key.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Why would you need to sacrifice a key to get the transponder? The transponder should either be built into the key you want converted or on a small black housing by the bottom of the original key.

This method saves the hassle of hacking up one of your original keys and decreases the chance of damaging the immobilizer chip.

A "blank" immobilizer chip comes with the AIO Remote Transmitter Key (Non-Flip) that is easily visible and accessible (one tiny screw) so you can cut out the immobilizer chip safely and not damage the chip.

The Flip Key requires the "Conversion" because the Flip Key Shell does not have a built-in immobilizer chip. It has a slot where the chip fits perfectly into, but it is literally a blank shell with a blank key blade, that needs the gut components of the AIO (Programmed Remote Transmitter and Programmed Immobilizer Chip) to function.

If I have a remote starter, do I necessarily need to do anything with the immobilizer chip? I can't remember if I gave up a key or not when they installed it. I must have for the engine to start without a key in the ignition, correct?

• 4 weeks later...
If I have a remote starter, do I necessarily need to do anything with the immobilizer chip? I can't remember if I gave up a key or not when they installed it. I must have for the engine to start without a key in the ignition, correct?

Sorry it so long to reply, but i honestly dont know how it works with remote start :( All i know is that they need all keys present when they program them.

What is the purpose of getting the non-flip keys cut? Aren't we just using those for the guts (remote and immobilizer). Most of us will have to pay a bit for each key, so minimizing the #of cuts helps...

The only purpose i get them cut, is so you can test and start the car immediately to ensure the immobilizer chip was programmed correctly. This way when you transfer the chip you know for sure it works.

OR, you could transfer the blank chip and programmed remote over to the flip key shell first, and just have them cut and program the keys right there, that would save some $$

The way i understand it, remote start can't happen without the key with transponder (or just the transponder itself) so one would need to be sacrificed. By that logic, once a key is sacrificed for the remote start function, you should not need a key with a transponder to start the car because the transponder is already in the car. That about right?

• 1 month later...
The way i understand it, remote start can't happen without the key with transponder (or just the transponder itself) so one would need to be sacrificed. By that logic, once a key is sacrificed for the remote start function, you should not need a key with a transponder to start the car because the transponder is already in the car. That about right?

On my other car with similar alarm, I had keys cut and hidden inside the car separate of the remote for back up. It was a FoMoCo vehicle so the keypad was there for entry and remote start did bypass the key not being programmed to the car. I haven't tried with this car but I have 2 keys and a valet that got sacrificed for Remote start so I see this should work same way.

other thing I forgot to ask is how many of these cut keys and remotes can be programmed to 1 car?

Edited by Merc6

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where it might be possible to get the folding key fob with the electronics and blank immobilizer all together? or is it just cheaper to do it the way that is described?

Thank you! and I have been thinking to do this for other cars of mine, just have yet to do the research. Thanks for the info and how to!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Does anyone know where it might be possible to get the folding key fob with the electronics and blank immobilizer all together? or is it just cheaper to do it the way that is described?

Thank you! and I have been thinking to do this for other cars of mine, just have yet to do the research. Thanks for the info and how to!

Only other way I saw was the silver Hyundai one where the buttons were almost spot on. Most the key one I saw linked to nasioc where they already had the all in one key or cut the factory key. I was able to get Home depot to cut mine, just need dealership to program the chips. I have an aftermarket alarm so not getting the remote to work is not that pressing. I may try again to get into that menu but wasn't able to. I deleted the beeps when the seat belt chime wouldn't go off from me having 06 seats in a 05.

• 5 months later...
Any updates for making this mod easier? Any complete ready to use sets found?

At this point they would be like mine already cut making you buy blanks which cost as much as the flip housing. I did skip the cut of the all in one key.

Or best offer, try it out.

• 1 month later...
I'm about to do the conversion but had a question before I start to destroy keys.. does our oem key, lower right, have the tiny rectangle chip inside or the weird vial looking chip, like ILCO keys have. http://i32.tinypic.com/20t18ue.jpg

I'm about to do the conversion but had a question before I start to destroy keys.. does our oem key, lower right, have the tiny rectangle chip inside or the weird vial looking chip, like ILCO keys have. http://i32.tinypic.com/20t18ue.jpg

Nice! The chip looks like this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=233061&stc=1&d=1467445232

991138209_ScreenShot2016-07-02at3_40_13AM.png.9c98e807e0a0410e44577c28b8a26856.png