LegacyGT.com

Never loan things to your sister

Sister borrowed my 05 Legacy GT 5eat yesterday. I offered to orient her around the cockpit (and in hindsight should have insisted) but she has a newer Leggy and declined. I suspect she put it in manual auto mode by accident but never upshifted and drove around for a few miles like that at speeds up to 40. It is hard to get a straight answer from her about what she did.

Car seems to run fine but has a CEL. We are at a vacation house where I don't have access to a wrench so can't clear the light by disconnecting the battery.

What should I be expecting in terms of afteraffects on the car? It is a 2.5 GT stage 2 with about 100k mostly problem free miles.

• Moderators
Without knowing the CEL, who the heck knows. Take it to a local auto store and see if they can pull the code for you. Or pull the code using the dash / odometer selector (I forget the exact process for that...)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

This will not help you today.

Why would someone go through the trouble of going stage 2 but not have any diagnostic abilities in their car? One of these bluetooth OBD2 adapters and an app such as Torque provide a cheap and convenient method of checking/clearing codes as well as much more. for ~$20.00 you're enabled to help yourself...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Android-Windows/dp/B00T5G53ZM]Amazon.com: Foseal Car OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool Check Engine Light for Android & Windows System Torque Pro: Automotive[/ame]

I have an Accessport of course, just not with me. I seem to recall that lets me read codes. I am away from home so no access to tools or diagnostic resources other than you guys! My wife reports that the CEL went away this morning which was a surprise since I expected it to take 100 miles to clear on its own. The car was outfitted with oil pressure and boost gauges (original cubby pod), but a couple of years ago they conked out and since it became my wife's car, I didn't bother replacing them.

I guess I was most interested in what you guys thought the impact of prolonged driving around in first gear would be.

Burnt transmission fluid, worn clutch packs, overheating of the transmission, nuclear explosions...

Yeah, I don't carry my AP all of the time either, but the bluetooth OBD2 adapter is in the car 24/7 for just this type of thing.

I doubt she drove the car around in 1st gear. My wife is not the brightest when it comes to cars but she wouldn't have continued to drive my car in 1st much less hit 40mph. As BarManBean said use the onboard diagnostics and pull the codes.

Here's a link showing the step by step process. Not difficult to do just takes proper timing.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/19053-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html

She called me and said "your car won't go past 40 and the engine is straining to get there. Oh, yes it is much better now that I move the stick to the right. Oh, btw you should know there is a check engine light on". After more questioning she says she was driving for 10 minutes like that and was on her way back home. but she was evasive about it and I suspect it was Considerably longer. She is that stupid, and didn't understand what I meant when I asked her if she was driving in first gear. Not sure what else she could have done to have this result.

I hope this teaches all of you...I carry my Cobb AP in both cars. They stay in a box with rags, gloves and a quart of oil.

Mungo, you may want to think about an oil and tranny fluid change.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My AP stays in the glove box. If someone's going to steal my car, they might as well get the AP with it because it'll be no use to me if it's still married to a car I no longer have.

Quart of oil and some rags hang out in my spare tire well just in case.

Not that I want to try it out but I thought the car would auto shift up if it was stuck in first through some high speeds & extended duration.

Ditto on the fluid change for the tranny.

My 07 5EAT will upshift at redline when in sport/manual mode if I'm not quick enough on the shift. It will also downshift from 2nd to 1st if I come to a stop and don't downshift.

She called me and said "your car won't go past 40 and the engine is straining to get there. Oh, yes it is much better now that I move the stick to the right. Oh, btw you should know there is a check engine light on". After more questioning she says she was driving for 10 minutes like that and was on her way back home. but she was evasive about it and I suspect it was Considerably longer. She is that stupid, and didn't understand what I meant when I asked her if she was driving in first gear. Not sure what else she could have done to have this result.

Bingo. I've seen it before. Roommate's ex gf did the same thing when she got her 2012 Cruze. Drove around in 1st.

I think it's just a result of zero car knowledge. The only gauges they look at are the speedo and fuel gauge. If the car makes odd noises, they don't notice. Or notice if they're cruising around at 6k RPMs for 10 minutes...

My 07 5EAT will upshift at redline when in sport/manual mode if I'm not quick enough on the shift. It will also downshift from 2nd to 1st if I come to a stop and don't downshift.

yup. will down shift from 5th to 1st when going to a stop.

afaik from this forum the 05-06 didnt upshift on its own.

soooo...the op has some issues now.

40 in first sounds like 7k.

Light went off and it is driving normally. I am trying not to let is consume my vacation but I agree that checking and adding oil is a good precaution. I will call Mike at Infamous tomorrow about getting the tranny fluid swapped and getting his thoughts. Honestly, I appreciate the comments but I don't intend to drive until we head home Saturday (home is an hour away) so apologies for not leaping into any action as you might expect otherwise.

My sister is definitely just not the sharpest tool (AZ public school teacher!) and bad with cars. Am glad that I didn't let her borrow my leased BMW like she asked originally.

Wait? 2 things...

*When my 05 goes to manual mode it's in sport mode till you tell it to shift. I guess she kept moving it after that point.

**What kind of foolishness is manual mode that upshifts on it's own? Seeing this thread exist, I take that back.

I feel your pain. My sister did the same in first and went into redline. After that it went through all kinds of problems and then finally a spun bearing.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 2 weeks later...

So you were right that it was extremely low on oil and that is at least partly (perhaps mostly) on me rather than whatever my sister did to it. I still find it more than a coincidence that the issue only fully manifested when she touched it though. I added 2 quarts of oil while we were on vacation and it was still low when it got to the shop. Infamous worked on it and found nothing wrong with the transmission or fluid, which he had recently changed. He did find an oil feed issue and was able to fix it with a new valve, and reports that everything is looking good (boost is good etc). Unless it really isn't ok, I consider myself pretty damn lucky and I credit the GT for handling what was thrown at it. Also, Infamous is the best.

Other unrelated issues on the car were trashed rear differential bushings and an axle seal was leaking.

Archived