LegacyGT.com

2008 GT died on highway, dealership baffled

Thursday on the way to work my Legacy GT died on the highway. Was driving just fine, slowed down for some traffic, then as I accelerated power was lost and all the dash indicator lights came on. Pulled it off to the side of the road and it would not start, not even close. Had it towed to dealership. Thought maybe the alternator. Battery just replaced about 3 months ago. Has about 69500 miles.

Dealership worked on it for over 6 hours. Told me 2 computer systems stopped talking to each other, but they don't know why. They were talking to Subaru HQ. Still have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas? Hopefully nothing serious and not expensive.

Not serious and not expensive are, quite unfortunately, not a likely outcome. If SSM can't tell why the electrons don't want to be friends with the other electrons, they'll just start shotgunning engine computers and BIUs in there.

Hopefully its a bad ground. I wonder if one of the wires in that brown connector at the back of the block has anything to do with it ?

It's under the tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It appears the dealership found the issue. After working on it for over 20hrs and on and off the phone countless times with SOA, they diagnosed the problem as an Engine Control Module failure. They will order and install that part for somewhere around $800. Not as bad as I would have thought, assuming they are right.

I asked the service guy if he was sure that was the problem, he gave a very confident "Yes". I hope they are right.

UPDATE: Surprise, surprise the ECM arrived and installed which DID NOT fix the problem. The service guy said they are going to try replacing the BIU, no cost to me. They will try the BIU with the original ECM, save me $800 if that works. I have serious doubts. They are also in contact with SOA. Calling in the big dogs now. I just want my car back. Starting to look like that might not happen.

You may want to PM "m sprank" or "Frank_ster" I seem to recall something like this issue from a few years back...one of them may have helped.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm guessing you had a little critter making a nest somewhere in the car who found a nice wiring loom to chew on. It's a pretty common scenario, and it's an absolute nightmare to fix because you have no idea where the damage is.

UPDATE: Tech has logged 32 hours on my car. Still no idea what's going on. Service guy told me the tech has pretty much hit a wall, not sure what else to do. A Subaru of America representative is coming to the dealership today to take over I guess. Not sure what will come of this.

Anyone have any dealings with Subaru of America? I just hope I don't get shafted.

UPDATE: After the Subaru of America rep came out on Monday, they changed their focus. The service guy was pretty sure the problem had been narrowed down to the wiring harness. They are verifying today and looking to either repair or replace. Hopefully it's done in another day or two, we shall see.

Wiring harness is a big job - I'd be surprised if they can do the dash & body harness in a day or two. Generally agree though, it sure sounds like something ate part of your harness between the BIU and ECU. Guessing it'll take them a week or so to fully disassemble and pull and replace the harness(es) though.

I'm not a Subaru swami-guru electrical expert, but I have serviced quite a lot of industrial equipment. I'd check every connector for a loose contact. Sometimes the pins/receivers in the molded connectors don't "click" in properly when assembled. Upon cursory inspection they look fine, but if you poke them with a toothpick they slide back in the molded part of the connector. Its a very easy fix when you find them.

UPDATE:

Not much of an update, but I learned some more things from the service guy. The tech is following the Subaru rep's advice and "got the check engine light to flicker". They have ordered a new wiring harness, should arrive on Monday to start the install. After which they are hopeful they can get a steady check engine light so they can then tap into the computer and get any error codes. From there they will decide what to do next. Sounds like the wiring harness is just a stepping stone, last week it sounded like it was "The Fix". Not sure what happens if the wiring harness fails to allow access to error codes. The saga continues..........

FINAL UPDATE: Wiring harness installed and that completely fixed the problem. They don't know the specific cause, could be a hundred different things, but the new wiring harness did the trick. 56 hours logged on this and 2 days shy of a month. Regional manager said they'd cover 30 hrs of labor, dealership will eat the rest. Parts came to $1400, they said they would make it an even $1000 and that's my final bill.

Archived