LegacyGT.com

Lifetime gas mileage calculation

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my driving habbit hasnt changed over the past 2 fillups but the mpg has jumped to 31-32. i think outside temp has something to do with it because i noticed when its really hot out the mpg goes down a little. it was also really crappy during the winter.

thats my opinion. i think the ecu is programmed such that max mpg is delivered by the engine for a narrow set of conditions.

the rest of the time it drinks too much fuel or the cvt isnt functioning optimally to deliver better numbers

... i noticed when its really hot out the mpg goes down a little.

Air conditioning will do that. There's no free lunch. :)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Air conditioning will do that. There's no free lunch. :)

at highway speeds, the load added by a/c is small, maybe 1 mpg loss i would guess.

i've been consistent with my habits for a/c use too, regardless if its just 75 out or 105.

I still wouldn't define mine as great in the highway, I get what should be city mpg on the highway lol. I have to be super conscious to get it above or near 30...

this has been my story for the first 6 months of ownership. Neither can say that the car is barely broken in, with about 17k on the odo as of now (9 months of ownership) ....

I still feel that something is not right, having ppl complaining on here, as well as at my local dealer, whose said to me that others have also complained.

i mean, we're not talking a few mpgs, we're talking 10+ mpg below the expected average, per driver habits and winter fuel and all that ... that's significant.

I'd like to see voices raised to Subaru about it, as will I. Even better would be a petition of some sort that everyone can sign.

this has been my story for the first 6 months of ownership. Neither can say that the car is barely broken in, with about 17k on the odo as of now (9 months of ownership) ....

I still feel that something is not right, having ppl complaining on here, as well as at my local dealer, whose said to me that others have also complained.

i mean, we're not talking a few mpgs, we're talking 10+ mpg below the expected average, per driver habits and winter fuel and all that ... that's significant.

I'd like to see voices raised to Subaru about it, as will I. Even better would be a petition of some sort that everyone can sign.

I'd be up for a petition of some sort. First oil change I brought it up to my dealer, but I'll soon be in again and complaining again now that I'm nearly at 8k miles

I'd be up for a petition of some sort. First oil change I brought it up to my dealer, but I'll soon be in again and complaining again now that I'm nearly at 8k miles

I doubt that they'll care here in NYC, they sell and have so many vehicles visit, there's no incentive to cater or go the extra mile for customers, when there's 12 more lined up for that day alone.

I've complained three times to my sale dealer and another dealer, about the MPG, they don't take it seriously and just spew the same "driving technique, AC, road, etc" without actually listening or checking.

Even when I request that they at least submit the complaint to Subaru and Subarunet about a customer condition, they either play stupid about Subarunet or refuse to submit it.

It's pointless with dealers in large sale volume locations. :spin:

I doubt that they'll care here in NYC, they sell and have so many vehicles visit, there's no incentive to cater or go the extra mile for customers, when there's 12 more lined up for that day alone.

I've complained three times to my sale dealer and another dealer, about the MPG, they don't take it seriously and just spew the same "driving technique, AC, road, etc" without actually listening or checking.

Even when I request that they at least submit the complaint to Subaru and Subarunet about a customer condition, they either play stupid about Subarunet or refuse to submit it.

It's pointless with dealers in large sale volume locations. :spin:

We should go picket in front of their dealerships with giant signs saying the EPA estimate is false and not to buy a Subaru lol...

im willing to participate in an online if others are as well ... i havent got much time to set something up online though id need some help with that.

so far if ppl are just bitching its easy for Subaru to turn a deaf ear ... something needs to surface to the point where it winds up in the news, that would definitely dampen their sales and i bet they would react to that swiftly.

here is the mpg history of my car (each marker is a fillup) since December. Looks like a roller coaster.

qtR3wTVUAT8i5fXi9https://goo.gl/photos/C5vGDphmHjFyUhuW7

qtR3wTVUAT8i5fXi9

The "roller coaster" doesn't look that bad.

The only real outlier is that July 19, 2015 fill up you had at 22.6 mpg. Someone must have borrowed your car and raced around the city :eek:.

The long term roller coaster will be the summer winter cycle!

Still, overall mileage seems below expectations. You do alot of city driving?

The "roller coaster" doesn't look that bad.

The only real outlier is that July 19, 2015 fill up you had at 22.6 mpg. Someone must have borrowed your car and raced around the city :eek:.

The long term roller coaster will be the summer winter cycle!

you would think that but its just me and my constant driving habits, no racing lol ...

this was shortly after a return from a 10day vacation and i found the battery drained. so i had to do some driving for an hour to get some charge. the temps around that time as i recall were hot, 90's ....

how i would have expected the chart to look like is maybe 3-4 mpg less than what i observe in the summer, with less drama between the highs and lows. no zig zags like what i see now.

too bad.

my overall average is low yes.

i would say in the 17k miles ive driven so far, about 70% was highway at speeds of 65-75.

Well this is my roller coaster from when I started with Fuelly, only over my last 3,900 miles(there are ~7500 total at the moment)

My best is 26.6mpg, avg is 23.0mpg

I have a nice long road trip this weekend, and I'm hoping to have that fill up pass 30mpg.... we'll see...

491648083_Fuelups.thumb.png.426ea15dd580b8f357da82ed0b390687.png

The fuel efficiency testing cars is for highway speeds averaging 48 mph, peak 60 mph.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

If you're exceeding those speeds by 10-20 mph, I think your MPG may be spot on.

Check out this graph on the Outback:

http://blog.automatic.com/cost-speeding-save-little-time-spend-lot-money/

Interesting that the slowest drivers spend 62% of what the fastest ones do. The FUN factor is not measured.

My own mileage is here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/legacy/2015/waldguy/349015

I take it easy on most accelerations - especially up to 20 mph or so.

I don't usually go much over 65 mph, and sometimes I like to meander at 55 when traffic is light.

Even then - I think maybe my mileage could be a bit better in summer vs the posted numbers as my BEST (34.4), is still under the expected AVERAGE (35).

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/349015.png

waldguy ... your case is a good example that shows the vehicle is really only optimized around 1 set of parameters.

other makes that delivered to me mpgs around or better than the range that was estimated by the epa tests tells me that their programming is adaptive to climate and speed.

Fuelly

"Based on data from 62 vehicles, 952 fuel-ups and 353,896 miles of driving, the 2015 Subaru Legacy (2.5i) gets a combined Avg MPG of 27.48 with a 0.31 MPG margin of error."

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/legacy/2015?engineconfig_id=17&bodystyleconfig_id=2

After a couple of years it will be more accurate as we'd be through the summer winter cycles and further past break-in, but I suspect the average won't ever approach the estimated 30 mpg combined.

Yes, but the individuals using fuely is a small sample of the complete population. Also the most vocal individuals that posts on the internet are usually the ones who want to complain or to find kindred spirits they have the same opinions.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

^^^ just curious. Is there a wider sample available on the internet of real world driving? Fuelly may have cars from Florida to Yukon, to Newfoundland to Australia, to Timbuktu, some of whose owners do not enter data well (eg. a 2013 legacy gets a tank of 64 mpg???).

Until our cars all connect to the internet and report (!!!), not sure of other good places to look.

I am Computer savy and I have a Master degree in MIS and I keep a very small foot print no FB etc and I am not even remotely interested in fuelly. Now let's add all the other which only use devices for games or family chats so a very small population that have any knowledge of forums etc. or even interested keeping historical gas mileage.

Usually the most use of all apps FB and "they" are neophyte.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

as for this topic... it seems the lifetime is accurate so far, it was reset about 2k ago .... as for when i could expect it to start getting out of whack, someone had said about 7500 miles or so into counting ?

any theories about why ?

• 1 month later...

given the mpg's ive seen at the pump over the past 9 months, i wonder sometimes ...

this whole fiasco recently with vw and it's diesel cars ... anyone else think that other manufacturers partake in similar activities as what vw did with their software ?

Archived