LegacyGT.com

Lifetime gas mileage calculation

Tons of useful information here. Thanks to all. Only one thing - I have not been able to find any way to reset my lifetime mileage, despite instructions given by others. 2015 2.5i Premium.

Let's see if I can remember without going out to my car...

Home-->Settings-->arrow over-->Info-->Eco monitor--> (bottom selection)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure when they say Lifetime, they don't intend it to calculate the entire time you own then vehicle, but more so a service life which would be oil change intervals or ...

Probably so. I've previously noted that the point where the displayed "lifetime" fuel economy begins to diverge from reality ... 7,000 to 8,000 miles ... is suspiciously close to the 7,500 mile basic service interval specified for most Subaru vehicles MY 2014 and earlier.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

i reset trip b at every fillup, so far ive gotten readings within 1 mpg of my actual, thats good.

i used to keep trip a untouched from the day of delivery but one day i accidentally reset it, so i am relying on my average in the spreadsheet i use for my lifetime mpg.

it is interesting tho, the word lifetime means lifetime. eco monitor cannot handle true lifetime, can trip a and b handle more than 7500 miles accurately ?

I reset A at every fill up and calculate.

The car is always reading about 1 to 1.5 mpg higher than what I calculated.

This seems to be a curse for every car I own and the last four cars have usually averaged around 20mpg combined.

At least now I don't have to buy premium gas.

:lol:

I reset A at every fill up and calculate.

The car is always reading about 1 to 1.5 mpg higher than what I calculated.

This seems to be a curse for every car I own and the last four cars have usually averaged around 20mpg combined.

At least now I don't have to buy premium gas.

:lol:

well hey, 1.5 mpg variation isn't all too bad for an onboard computer.

and regarding the 20 mpg observed ... i'd rather drive an Explorer it would give me the same mpg and its much bigger than the Legacy - some kind of side by side comparison for ppl to realize how incredibly inefficient the 6th gen Legacy can be.

Life is too short, Buy the Ford Explorer one less thing to bitch about in your life.

But what do I know? I just a gun carrying SOB Republican who is an ex military and loves this country.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Okay, I finally found the Lifetime Fuel reset on my 2015 2.5i Premium. Here's the path:

Home -> Settings -> arrow over -> Info -> EcoMonitor -> Lifetime Fuel Cons Reset.

So I did remember correctly off top of my head last week;)

Post #26 above

Let's see if I can remember without going out to my car...

Home-->Settings-->arrow over-->Info-->Eco monitor--> (bottom selection)

every time i take a trip to the city (ny) my mpg takes a nose dive. it could be flirting with 30 all week, just one trip into queens with some stop and go and then my forcast on the trip dives to like 20. how is that possible ? if the trip is an average, then im certain the city driving is seeing real time mpg of less than 20 .... wow this drivetrain is so inefficient

:spin:

well hey, 1.5 mpg variation isn't all too bad for an onboard computer.

and regarding the 20 mpg observed ... i'd rather drive an Explorer it would give me the same mpg and its much bigger than the Legacy - some kind of side by side comparison for ppl to realize how incredibly inefficient the 6th gen Legacy can be.

I'm getting very close to advertised mpg, Cant figure out what I'm doing wrong :)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Subie in October, and the gas mileage was really bad until just this week -- JULY! It takes 80-90 degree weather to get decent gas mileage out of that CVT.

I don't of course trust the computer. I record the gas going in, and I note the mileage.

Today I got 31.2 mpg over the past 402 miles. Since October I've gotten 26.1 mpg over 4967 miles.

This is country roads, 30-50 mph, little traffic. I got 31.2 mpg on a ski trip in March and 30.5 on a trip to the Big City in October. The worst was 20.3 mpg in February.

• 2 weeks later...

was casually talking with someone i work with last week and asked about his mpg from his accord .... as we were chatting i mentioned my legacy and mpgs, he said he had one but got rid of it because he was getting mpgs similar to a pickup truck. the way he put it is similar to how i feel. at least i have now met someone in the flesh that observed the same thing im observing ....

i like this car but its not a good mpg vehicle, the numbers i got over the past 8 months its like a roller coaster. qirky

^^^ That sucks, wonder why you and a few others aren't getting good mpgs? I get excellent mileage and 90% of my normal miles are city, but I do drive conservatively. I went to SLC, UT from Denver and back with 3 people and our crap WITH the A/C on and still returned 37.3.

its tough for me to understand how/why our mpgs vary so much except to think that climate has a large impact.

for me, my mpg settles to 27 per tank, thats about 400-425 miles.

the climate during the burn is hot in the day (80+), which is when i drive it and get that kind of mpg. i am calculating mine, not relying on eco monitor.

My onboard this morning registered 44.1mpg over my 8.6 mile commute. I was being super cautious and the drive was essentially down hill the whole way. It's cool to see those numbers, unfortunately the other 300 or so miles on this tank will give my most recent fill up about 22.5mpg..... ugh.

i usually zero my trip at every fill and when the needle hits the 1/2 mark i do a quick calculation (miles/9.25). the number i get is within 2 mpg of the trip mpg that reads out in the info display between the tach and speedometer.

this morning eco monitor was saying 40 mpg for this drive (37 miles/65-70 mph), it was 60-65 degrees out.

i reset my lifetime mpg when i did my oil recently ...

so far i filled up twice and the average trip (i set it per tank) has read out about 31-32 mpg. lifetime says 32. my calculated since i reset it has been 31 and change ... so it seems the eco monitor is accurate so far. but eventually the lifetime will start straying upward if i dont reset it

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2293&pictureid=10625The MPG - Stop and go traffic for 26 minutes :D

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2293&pictureid=10624

My stop and go traffic.....

uploadfromtaptalk1439575121097.thumb.jpg.b061f0eeb48eb713b0b350b11cddba9d.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1439575144824.thumb.jpg.735710a82725b96d1adaaca010a7a902.jpg

Archived