LegacyGT.com

what short block can I use??

Mine is an '09 LGT. 2000 miles ago, the entire upper was replaced (heads, gaskets, cams) new. About 1000ft ago the lower went on me. Now I'm told I need a new short block.

Here's the question:

What kinds of short blocks will match up? Do I have to find the factory correct one (or only one from an '08/'09 LGT), or can I use anything from a turbo engine from '02-'09?

Anybody seen/done this one before? Or anybody have a lead on one I can get my hands on?

Need to search buddy. Shortblock replacement is so incredibly common on here.

Otherwise your stock block is coded as an EJ255.

You need to source one from an 08 and newer STi for the best overall bang for your buck. Those are coded as EJ257.

ANY EJ255 or 257 shortblock will work. Those coming from 06-09 WRXs or even newer up to 2014 as well as 04-15 STIs.

Easy math with bring you to this. Search ebay and buy one new from a dealer or distributor. They are like $1800 brand spankin new from Subaru. If its a 2.5l turbo engine that needs replacement, Subaru will use an EJ257 shortblock.

Okay, V8. What if I found a block from an '05 LGT - coded EJ255. Can I plug it in?

The 2009's have an air pump. The heads are different. There are mods to allow this swap. The short blocks will interchange, there might be a slight c/r difference I think I read here.

It is highly recommended against using a worn turbo engine. You know by now the reliability of the a worn subaru block in a performance application.

Do some reading on this site and you will learn a lot about these motors.

Okay, V8. What if I found a block from an '05 LGT - coded EJ255. Can I plug it in?

...It is highly recommended against using a worn turbo engine. You know by now the reliability of the a worn subaru block in a performance application...

Yeah is this a used block rebuild by someone or junk yard unknown miles as is at a steal of a price compared to a brand new one?

If you find a rebuilt block, see if you can find some papers with it saying specs or something. You don't want to pull the engine twice for the same reason in such short a period of time.

For less headache I got a new block and called it a night. You still have to deal with water pump, pulleys, oil pump, timing belt, oil cooler, head studs and a few other things to kinda put all that effort, trust and money into an unknown dirt cheap Trojan horse backpage shortblock.

<Had a simple fix, took cheap way out and haven't really driven the car in years. Shortcuts cost you a shortblock, a turbo, some cams or maybe even the longblock.

You'll want to red my click here link. I put a ej257 in my 05, just get the gasket set for your year car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I found a reman'd ej257. Do you know if that will match up with my upper (because that's all new)? And is there anything else I need to put it together?

Max-you talked about a gasket set??

The ej257 will fit, you need the gasket set for your year car. That's so the head gaskets match your year heads.

PM Underdog and have him send you what you need. Tell him your story.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Update:

The 257 is in. Now I have new reasons to worry.

The new motor is a little 'knocky' sounding - I can hear it working. And yesterday we had a scary moment: I was on the freeway and downshifted (to make up some time...), and when the engine started working hard 2 things happened. The motor "missed" badly (which is a real scary feeling) and immediately threw a code - P0244.

I found out that the shop DID NOT reflash the ecu after the new motor was in. I've talked to two people that think a reflash will solve it. What does the forum think?

• Moderators
Isn't P0244 an overboost code? If so, that's a terrible feeling when it happens, but not really bad for the car. If you have mods that are unaccounted for by the current ECU map then loading a proper tune should certainly help.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A re-flash is just re-loading the existing ROM. A tune is modifying it. Re-setting the ECU allows it to relearn the stored values for fueling and whatnot, but doesn't change the engine performance. Re-setting the ECU with the new short block is a good idea.

Check to make sure all the vacuum lines are connected correctly, specifically anything going to the BCS. You shouldn't really be overboosting on a stock vehicle with stock tune.

If you are still on the stock tune you should fix that. A solid stage 0/1 will be better for the car.

We always recommend you get the car off the stock MAP. Get that thing tuned, you'll be very happy you did.

contact www.tuningalliance.com Mike has been keeping my cars happy for years. He really is that good.

Isn't P0244 an overboost code? If so, that's a terrible feeling when it happens, but not really bad for the car. If you have mods that are unaccounted for by the current ECU map then loading a proper tune should certainly help.

And yeah get a tune.. I almost made it to 202k on the stock EJ255 last owner had no tune and guessing a 16G turbo upgrade.. now my car has been sitting for a few months while I save money to get a new SB and stop buying my girlfriend shit :lol:

Oh you can hear that nasty wheel bearing that failed maybe a month or so later lol

We always recommend you get the car off the stock MAP. Get that thing tuned, you'll be very happy you did.

contact www.tuningalliance.com Mike has been keeping my cars happy for years. He really is that good.

Hey Max do they work with open source tuning? And another thing since my car has been sitting for at least 4 months or so and about a 1/2 tank of gas should I do a full tank before I start it?

I find it extremely odd I was able to get it to start it once to move it off the flat bed but I can't get the car to start at all anymore not that I really care at the moment.

Hey Max do they work with open source tuning? And another thing since my car has been sitting for at least 4 months or so and about a 1/2 tank of gas should I do a full tank before I start it?

I find it extremely odd I was able to get it to start it once to move it off the flat bed but I can't get the car to start at all anymore not that I really care at the moment.

You use stabil in the tank when you left it? It's not nearly as bad as my tank of gas from when I started this rebuild in 2011.

You use stabil in the tank when you left it? It's not nearly as bad as my tank of gas from when I started this rebuild in 2011.

Nah I forgot to put it in :( I mean if I'm really anal I guess I can figure out how to drain the tank.. I don't think it's going to be as easy as getting to as my outback wagon was...

I'm guessing 1/2 is about what 8 gal or so?

Thanks Max. I sure can't take my car to MA for a tune though. Where would i look to find a place locally?

You typing this from a laptop? Cable and software is all you need to datalog and send to a tuner from here to tweak and send back to you. This is after you purchase a tune and upload via that same laptop.

Archived