LegacyGT.com

LED Headlight Bulb Conversion

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought and installed these after reading this thread a few months ago since a ballast on my HIDs crapped out the other day. I love them! Much brighter than my HIDs in my opinion and they turn on immediately. The light output is definitely brighter than halogens both right in front of the car and down the road. I had the Xenon Experts Volt HID kit which is not a cheap kit.

Vs. Halogens - they light up a slightly longer distance and do so much brighter. You still need your highbeams to see really far down the road but that's what they're for.

Vs. HIDs - they light up the same amount of area but brighter in my opinion. You don't have to worry about them not firing when you turn on your car and they turn on immediately rather than warming up. HIDs don't light up any further down the road than these anyway.

I'm going to upload a video showing a comparison.

I just bought and installed these after reading this thread a few months ago since a ballast on my HIDs crapped out the other day. I love them! Much brighter than my HIDs in my opinion and they turn on immediately. The light output is definitely brighter than halogens both right in front of the car and down the road. I had the Xenon Experts Volt HID kit which is not a cheap kit.

Vs. Halogens - they light up a slightly longer distance and do so much brighter. You still need your highbeams to see really far down the road but that's what they're for.

Vs. HIDs - they light up the same amount of area but brighter in my opinion. You don't have to worry about them not firing when you turn on your car and they turn on immediately rather than warming up. HIDs don't light up any further down the road than these anyway.

I'm going to upload a video showing a comparison.

We're you using a HID bulb in a halogen projector?

We're you using a HID bulb in a halogen projector?

Yeah I was but that's the comparison I'm trying to make here. If you're only going to change the bulbs then changing to LEDs will give you more than changing to HIDs. If you're going to do a full retrofit then that's another level of work and of cost.

edit: I guess I probably should have clarified that. I wonder what these lights would look like in an HID housing though.

this is great! would you be able to do a side by side comparison of the light shinning on a dark road and on a wall 30 feet away? I want to see how it throws.

That would be awesome!!!

The light is actually whiter than the bluish colour you see in this picture. My best description is that it shines more intense in the area that it covers and also goes slightly further down the road and definitely further laterally. That's a screenshot from this video

1115856145_HeadlightComparison.thumb.jpg.f94b733857ba703f3708e6dda1585118.jpg

• 2 months later...
More free-time at work...

Drilled the holes per OPT7's recommendation. They should really help get some fresh air into the enclosure to keep heat down.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn164/amm203/image3_zpsz5wedjhv.jpg

Couldn't a gore-Tex patch keep moisture out but still allow for it to breath? I'm probably way off base gore Tex lets air out and not in.

• 5 months later...
Unfortunately, I cannot compare to HID - maybe some others can chime in with their impressions. From the images I've seen on here of HID setups these are not quite as bright. However, they are still going strong since I've bought them. No drop in light output and no regrets in purchasing them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, so you've had these for about a year.... update?

I'm debating on ripping out my 55W HIDs but wavering toward Auxbeams.....8,000 lumens...and I can get LEDs for my lows AND highs for less than the cost of one set of OPT7's.. auxbeam has been getting really good reviews on amazon....

They're still going! They are still as bright and staying put. However, I'm thinking of experimenting with these soon. They're pricier and bulkier but they are super bright (9,600 Lumens vs 7,000) and can be had at 5000K as well as 6000K. They are also more adjustable and have great reviews.

The 8,000 Lumens for those auxbeams sounds great but I wish they came in a cooler temperature.

wow, 9,600 lumens from LEDs? I think for the price point i'll try the auxbeams... if they suck, it's not a big hit and I can reinstall my HIDs...

but I think I wanna go LED since I can't think of a way to disable flash to pass (from an all lights off stand point) and retain use of using the OE combo switch to do FTP...

• 6 months later...
I have a 2017 Subaru Legacy and it has the new headlights. I love them and they put out the bright white light. My question is has anyone changed the fog lights to a new bulb? When I turn on the fog lights you they are washed out by the head lights. It would have been nice if Subaru had matched the bulbs in the fog lights to be the same as the headlights

I have a 2017 Subaru Legacy and it has the new headlights. I love them and they put out the bright white light. My question is has anyone changed the fog lights to a new bulb? When I turn on the fog lights you they are washed out by the head lights. It would have been nice if Subaru had matched the bulbs in the fog lights to be the same as the headlights

I didnt have luck with my LED bulbs. I had some bad hotspotting. When I contacted the vendor, they said the bulbs don't do well with projector headlights and that HID was the way to go. So they swapped out the LED for HID to try. I haven't received them yet, but I am hoping for the best.

Archived