LegacyGT.com

Elegua's Badass BR9 Wagon

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to S2baru for the pioneering work on adopting the STi cams!

Sent from some electronic device.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks. The motor is all back together and should go back into the car for start up next week.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Motor is in and farh_side will be working his magic on the fuel scaling for the new injectors and the break-in process will begin.

Before we see the numbers....I'd like to thank farh_side for his guidance and support on this project. It would have already ended badly without it.

So far, he's t00ned a car for me that runs as smoothly and reliably as stock at a reasonable cost that can generate enough power to embarrass much more expensive equipment. I can't ask for much more than that.

Aw shucks

Here's a few moar photos to tide you over...

IMG_2997.thumb.jpg.1c309334b93746c6f37b769830a8d9f2.jpg

IMG_2998.thumb.jpg.767d4525156d4fa167e8e8b3b9887821.jpg

Injectors scaled, 1bar tune finished for gas only (meth system disabled), conservative timing for break-in. Subjectively the car is as fast now as it was at 1bar with meth on and average 2~3* more timing overall. I put this down to the STi exhaust cams. Looking forward to our intake being fabbed up for install once run-in, and then we go in search of the safe limits of the transmission or the turbo, whichever comes first.

To-do list:

Intake fabrication

Center differential bronze bushings

Small air guide plate for top of FMIC

Replace leaky power steering hoses

Shave coolant overflow tank that now rubs on a charge pipe (thicker radiator to blame)

Edited by fahr_side

Oh I wish I could take credit for the hardware but I'm just the t00ner / enabler!

I'm probably not the only one that will have the potential of creating such an epic build down the line. Looks great!

What's the radiator btw? Any custom work to make that fit? I know more of us are looking for an aftermarket option

I really doubt they have international distribution under their own label. More likely they do ODM for more well-known brands. I will ask for info on that. The only issue with fit was that the stock coolant overflow tank which used to fit in front of the charge pipe no longer does. It had to be shaved and plastic welded slimmer. In hindsight it would have been smarter to test-fit the radiator while fabbing the pipe runs, but that's how these things go.

You know Koyo have a radiator for the 5th gen eh?

Quick update for you guys. The water-meth injection is still disabled at this time (it had to be to scale the injectors) while the 30l tank gets some baffles. We had pretty bad sloshing in the first iteration.

After a couple of hundred kilometers and a few heat cycles at 1bar we've gone up to 1.4bar across the board, though Elegua is under strict instructions not to push it too hard or for too long in S#. S mode still has boost pressures set at 1bar. Again I'm very impressed with the difference the STi cams make, although they do make a lot more exhaust noise.

At this level we have seen up to 4.75MAFv, so right now I'm not 100% sure we will max out the MAF housing, but it's clear the filter is a restriction, since we picked up 6~7g/s by pulling it out for a quick test.

Now we're looking around for solutions to the intake restriction while allowing the motor to loosen up a little more. We should be doing the first oil and filter change at 500km and hopefully then we'll be getting into the new intake scaling, and adding the meth. Final tune will be done on our builder's Dynapack if it can be configured to lock the front and rear wheels together or if the car doesn't throw errors when they aren't in lock-step. Transmission is doing great so far with rock-solid shifts and no sign of the revs drifting at peak torque.

So, a Blitz intake arrived and now dyno tuning is done. Pretty much what we expected in torque, and we're very happy with the power number! Road tweaking and making sure the tranny holds to come when the traffic clears up a bit... at our closed course test track.

Just for reference, we got about 365whp on pump gas alone for the best pull, and about 45kgm torque, all at a flat 1.4bar. That was enough to kick the crap out of a stock 435i yesterday.

On meth we are keeping it a trans-friendly 1.4bar in the midrange but ramp it up to 1.5bar at peak revs. The turbo really wants to do more but the 1bar wastegate spring we are using won't allow that, and we are still waiting for the 3bar MAP sensor to arrive. I think we will leave the boost where it is for now.

IMG_2843.thumb.jpg.beeadd02901a16e6fc14c98c3a9f29e6.jpg

Interesting to see the power band shift. Looks fun :D

It's fun, and while we are shifted a bit to right I think you can see the torque curve is still pretty flat. The 403whp pull was of course the best one, with a hot header and cold intercooler etc. We got consistent pulls at 385~390whp back to back in 3rd gear pulls and no-one here is really hung up about the number. Ambient here was about 30* today.

I also had to pull about a degree of timing out for 4th and 5th gears because they're so tall with that damn 3.083 final drive. We managed 100~200kph in 11.5s however. That should keep Elegua happy for a while.

The car still has a 63mm midpipe, Y-pipe and cans with 52mm guts. We're starting to see the cans discoloring now, suggesting they are a choke point. This makes some sense as even with a 1bar spring in the wastegate we're stuck at 1.5bar boost at the redline. Chances are that with a more open system we will get some moar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fahr_side

Ok, so I have the car for a bit now....and the car is really performing like a champ. So far, so good. Oh and the 11.5sec 100-200kmh was done with the roof rack on. :lol:

First, I'd like to state for the record that everything written here is absolutely true.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580

The car is very smooth and quiet; just a little intake noise, and before you know it, you're at go-straight-to-the-pokey, lose you license, impound your car speeds. Not only that, it just keeps pulling at the same rate at 150kmh, 180kmh.....I need to learn how drive all over again.

Project Mu pads are on the way to replace my formerly very good, but-now-bars-of-soap sport brake pads.

The exhaust is a restriction and will need some upgrading. We're currently looking at twin 63mm resonators coming out of the 70mm mid-pipe and leading to two 63mm straight through cans. We'll add valve to close one leg at cruise and create a J-pipe.

• 1 month later...

Top ten signs your exhaust system is too restrictive.

22033985263_ff1ace5f38_c.jpg

That was a 70mm front pipe (with the new build) to the existing 63mm mid-pipe split to 54mm turbo style cans.

Now it's 70mm all the way to split into two 63mm cans. One leg is turbo-style, the other is straight-through. A valve closes the straight-through leg on cruise and open at 0.8bar triggered by the meth controller. Later on we'll add a timer to keep the valve open and help transient response.

22666341261_ec737f243b_c.jpg

22641610602_fa3133c733_c.jpg

Much quieter on start up and cruise with little drone. I can hear music again.

Later on we'll add a timer to keep the valve open and help transient response.

The timer will keep the valve open for a preset time (like 5s) to stop the valve closing during transients like quick throttle on-off.

Sent from a device using some software.

• 2 weeks later...

Flow didn't improve much and WGDC is still a bit high in the saddle . Gonna need a bigger pipe.

First attempted remedy will be to try to increase the size of the straight through can on the valve to 76mm. If that doesn't work then maybe the whole mid-section needs to go to 76mm.

Also in the the works is a new OMNI Power MAF sensor.

Edited by Elegua

Flow didn't improve much and WGDC is still a bit high in the saddle

I'm more concerned that WGDC ramps up so much after the saddle. Normally with an adequate EWG you see WGDC rise no more than 5 to 10% after full spool is reached. The fact that we had to add 30% just to gain 1.5psi tells us there's a restriction. The turbo will do 1.7 or 1.8bar if properly supported.

Sent from a device using some software.