LegacyGT.com

Brake Pads & Rotors

There's a set of 4 pot brembo's, freshly reman'd and painted off of a 07 STI that the guy wants $500 for, seems like a pretty fair price. The problem is i wouldn't have the slightest idea on where to begin or if it'd be a beneficial upgrade from the 3.6r brakes.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a set of 4 pot brembo's, freshly reman'd and painted off of a 07 STI that the guy wants $500 for, seems like a pretty fair price. The problem is i wouldn't have the slightest idea on where to begin or if it'd be a beneficial upgrade from the 3.6r brakes.

Just the fronts, right? That does sound like a good deal. Calipers only, or discs too? If there are discs, I think you'd have to ensure they have the same PCD as our cars. I don't know if the '07 STI has a 5x114.3 PCD. If there are no discs, what discs are you considering?

My reservation with most 4-pot calipers for our cars, especially your heavier 3.6, is pad wear. All other things remaining equal, 4-pots tend to have higher pad wear than 6-pots because they usually use smaller pads, which means less area swept on the rotor, and therefore higher pressure required to do the same job.

Can any STI brake users share your pad and rotor sizes, please? Do your pads cover the entire rotor area or are there un-swept gaps?

@redvenetian on Instagram

I'm using a set of Brembo 4-pot front calipers off a 2015 WRX-STI on my Legacy 3.6R with Wagner BD126492E rotors (326mm Diameter compared to the 315mm stock rotors) and the OEM pads cover the entire rotor area. The OEM pads are made by Brembo and the pad measures 132mmx77mm.

Rotors:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6821764&cc=3307714&jsn=373

Pads

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kTsAAOSwd4tT38Nc/s-l300.jpg

Doubt that the Brembo's will wear any faster than the OEM pads...

I'm using a set of Brembo 4-pot front calipers off a 2015 WRX-STI on my Legacy 3.6R with Wagner BD126492E rotors

Any pics of your setup plus what wheels are you running/any clearance issues with fitting Brembos?

These are the questions which often stop people from doing these upgrades. So if people have already done them and can share what works in terms of clearance over larger calipers that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here is my Brake Set Up if anyone missed it.. Rolloface 356mm Big Brake Kit. 8 Piston Forged Aluminum Caliper with 14" 2 Piece Rotors.. Same Fitment as the Sti Set up and has more Wheel clearance. Minimum 18" Wheels Sti Wheels will Clear this set up. Also Sti Brembo's will NOT CLEAR on STOCK WHEELS the Offset is the same but the FACE CUT of the Wheel is Different...20160329_182035.thumb.jpg.71ab0735b40e5082175db93ff641871f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

20160114_142218.jpg.1461d8764453fae1f3b56f8d4fc7c0fd.jpg

20160114_142239.jpg.628aa5e6eb8b5276a1580a0756139f9c.jpg

I'm using a set of Brembo 4-pot front calipers off a 2015 WRX-STI on my Legacy 3.6R with Wagner BD126492E rotors (326mm Diameter compared to the 315mm stock rotors)

Are you running blank, slotted, J-hook or cross-drilled rotors?

Why did you decide to go with Wagner rotors? Was it because they offered the exact Brembo rotor size at a better price? Sorry but I'm not familiar with the brand other than what I read at the link you shared.

Well here is my Brake Set Up if anyone missed it.. Rolloface 356mm Big Brake Kit. 8 Piston Forged Aluminum Caliper with 14" 2 Piece Rotors.. Same Fitment as the Sti Set up and has more Wheel clearance. Minimum 18" Wheels Sti Wheels will Clear this set up. Also Sti Brembo's will NOT CLEAR on STOCK WHEELS the Offset is the same but the FACE CUT of the Wheel is Different...

Now those are fierce brakes! They are about US$3k, right? Are you running the ceramic Sport street pads and, if so, do they take a while to warm up or is the 0-500 heat rating accurate?

Your rear brakes are stock?

Your front rotors are the same size as mine so yes, they will only fit 18-inch wheels or larger. But FYI for those looking for rotor sizes that will fit 17-inch wheels - I believe 326mm is as large as you can go, which is probably good enough performance-wise for the street, and will save you some unsprung weight.

You definitely make a good point about not relying on offset to estimate caliper clearance. Wheel cut makes all the difference.

Why did you decide to go with Wagner rotors? Was it because they offered the exact Brembo rotor size at a better price? Sorry but I'm not familiar with the brand other than what I read at the link you shared.

Now those are fierce brakes! They are about US$3k, right? Are you running the ceramic Sport street pads and, if so, do they take a while to warm up or is the 0-500 heat rating accurate?

Your rear brakes are stock?

Your front rotors are the same size as mine so yes, they will only fit 18-inch wheels or larger. But FYI for those looking for rotor sizes that will fit 17-inch wheels - I believe 326mm is as large as you can go, which is probably good enough performance-wise for the street, and will save you some unsprung weight.

You definitely make a good point about not relying on offset to estimate caliper clearance. Wheel cut makes all the difference.

The Rolloface Kit is about 3500.00.. Luckily I got sponsored for my kit.. I love it and the feel great.. I will be getting the rear kit developed this winter..[emoji41] [emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Rolloface Kit is about 3500.00.. Luckily I got sponsored for my kit.. I love it and the feel great.. I will be getting the rear kit developed this winter..[emoji41] [emoji54]

Gotta love sponsored kit [emoji106]

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the rears. A workshop near me offered to install a bracket to move the stock rear caliper further out in order to accommodate a larger rear rotor, but that seemed to me pointless weight gain since we wouldn't be able to run pads large enough to sweep the whole surface of those larger rotors.

I was told that essentially any brembo kit from the STI's, any year should fit right into my brackets? Is this information correct?

So to make sense of this, I could pick up some 2007 STI brembo's, match them up to some 2015 rotors, and be smooth sailing?

I was told that essentially any brembo kit from the STI's, any year should fit right into my brackets? Is this information correct?

So to make sense of this, I could pick up some 2007 STI brembo's, match them up to some 2015 rotors, and be smooth sailing?

Yes the STI Brembos calipers will bolt up OK. You'll need to buy pads to suit plus 326mm front rotors with a 5 x 114.3 stud pattern.

Also as Grnlantern1 said above the stock 18" Legacy wheels will not fit over the top of Brembos as the brake calipers sit out further than the stock Legacy caliper. So you'll need to upgrade to some wider wheels with (possibly) a more aggressive offset or a design that allows more clearance over the calipers.

Unfortunately the spec for brake clearance is not published so it's a bit of trial and error to find a rim that fits. Having said that if you're putting on WRX STI wheels these are guaranteed to clear Brembos as if they work on a WRX STI they work on a Legacy :)

Also as Grnlantern1 said above the stock 18" Legacy wheels will not fit over the top of Brembos as the brake calipers sit out further than the stock Legacy caliper. So you'll need to upgrade to some wider wheels with (possibly) a more aggressive offset or a design that allows more clearance over the calipers.

If you want to stick with stock 18" Legacy wheels like I did, I'd recommend measuring the calipers, estimating how much thicker they are than your stock calipers (stick a ruler into your wheels to measure them), then adding hubcentric spacers to create the required clearance. Way cheaper than getting new wheels, especially if you're happy with the stock ones.

Sorry for the late reply, been crazy at work.

Any pics of your setup plus what wheels are you running/any clearance issues with fitting Brembos?

These are the questions which often stop people from doing these upgrades. So if people have already done them and can share what works in terms of clearance over larger calipers that would be awesome.

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/Legacy/B1.JPG

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/Legacy/B2.jpg

Setup includes:

• 2 - STI/Brembo Calipers & Pads (2004-2017 will fit)
  • 4 - Caliper to knuckle bolts (They are different than OEM)
  • 2 - STI Fitment Front Rotors (2008 & newer)

This setup uses the OEM brake lines, dust shield and brake line banjo bolt.

The only clearance issues with fitting this setup is the wheels.

• The OEM wheels would need spacers same as surmise is running.
  • I opted to go for a set of take-off 2016 STI wheels, 5x114.3 bolt pattern, 18"x8.5" with a +55mm offset.
  • Any 2008 & newer wheel that fits an STI would also work.

Why did you decide to go with Wagner rotors? Was it because they offered the exact Brembo rotor size at a better price? Sorry but I'm not familiar ith the brand other than what I read at the link you shared.

I like to mod cars to look like they could be from the factory...but aren't. Weird right. :lol: Keeps people guessing.

Only 3 parts that weren't made by Subaru on my car are the springs, front rotors and a few bulbs.

The Wagner's are standard blank rotors with black E-Coating just like the OEM rotors . The Wagner's were $68 each from RockAuto.com compared to $434 each from the dealer for OEM :eek:. Wagner is an American company that has been making quality OEM replacement brake parts for a very long time.

Entire setup cost less than $820

Like new, take off calipers w/pads from a '15 STI - $650

New Wagner Rotors - $142

New Caliper bolts (4) - $18

New Brake Hose Washers (4) - $4

Bottle of brake fluid - $4

Also picked up the wheels as take-off's for $600

Did all the labor myself so all in for $1420

I know what you mean. This month's been a bit crazy for me too. Too many balls in the air.

[quote=Opie;5482953}I like to mod cars to look like they could be from the factory...but aren't. Weird right. :lol: Keeps people guessing.

Nope, not weird at all. Same here. Why else do you think I'm running stock wheels? But my rotors are a giveaway, whereas yours are stealth, with black calipers to boot.

The Wagner's were $68 each from RockAuto.com compared to $434 each from the dealer for OEM :eek:.

That's a hell of deal! No brainer there.

Sounds like we've got another bang for buck option here for those of us looking at a fixed piston caliper setup.

• 3 months later...

What REAR BRAKE PADS are you guys running on your 2016+ Legacy/Outback 3.6R with the stock calipers and electronic parking brake?

We are working on a one-off brake package on a 2017 Outback Touring 3.6R and have had zero luck sourcing aftermarket (non subaru oem) rear brake pads.

Also, do any of you have a Master Cylinder Brace bracket installed on your (2015-2017) 6th Generation Legacy/Outback ? If so, which one and where did you purchase it from?

Thanks for your help!

Found brake pads (have to get them custom made from Carbotech).

Do any of you have a Master Cylinder Brace bracket installed on your (2015-2017) 6th Generation Legacy/Outback ? If so, which one and where did you purchase it from?

Thanks for your help!

I've done quite a bit of searching and have yet to find one. Just got to thinking one from a 5th gen might work depending on how different the attachment points are under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if stainless brake lines for a 5th gen will work on our cars?

It's an upgrade I'm considering when it comes time for a flush at 30k, which at the rate I'm racking up miles will probably be this spring.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3671A0A0.aspx

Rockauto carries front and rear pads.

According to Rock Auto, some part numbers for brake pads are also listed for 2015 WRX? If that's correct, then that means that a lot of pad options just opened up!

Like these Porterfield R4S Street pads. Everyone that I know that's used them loves them, and I've been meaning to pick up a set. If WRX pads work in a Legacy, then I guess I'll make it two sets!

Finished a complete custom brake upgrade on a customers 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring w/ eyesight this past weekend.

It's been a long process and tons of research and design with brake manufacturers (Goodridge, Carbotech, EBC, DBA, and Hawk) was done the last couple of months.

I posted a photo and details on the vehicle on Instagram at: @subtlesolutions

Modifications include:

1. Front EBC slotted USR rotors (custom cnc machined to fit new 5x114.3 bolt patter)

2. Front Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines

3. Front Hawk Performance pads

4. Rear EBC slotted USR rotors

5. Rear Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines

6. Rear Carbotech 1521 custom manufactured performance pads

7. AFE / Takeda short ram intake

8. Raptor headers for fitment on the 3.6R (coming soon)

9. Nameless Mufflers (possibly in the near future)

16113369_1271586452880568_3506364545420080058_o.jpg?oh=3550278b255ad329b023e4454f6a0bb2&oe=5914E628

• 1 month later...
Finished a complete custom brake upgrade on a customers 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring w/ eyesight this past weekend.

It's been a long process and tons of research and design with brake manufacturers (Goodridge, Carbotech, EBC, DBA, and Hawk) was done the last couple of months.

I posted a photo and details on the vehicle on Instagram at: @subtlesolutions

Modifications include:

1. Front EBC slotted USR rotors (custom cnc machined to fit new 5x114.3 bolt patter)

2. Front Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines

3. Front Hawk Performance pads

4. Rear EBC slotted USR rotors

5. Rear Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines

6. Rear Carbotech 1521 custom manufactured performance pads

7. AFE / Takeda short ram intake

8. Raptor headers for fitment on the 3.6R (coming soon)

9. Nameless Mufflers (possibly in the near future)

16113369_1271586452880568_3506364545420080058_o.jpg?oh=3550278b255ad329b023e4454f6a0bb2&oe=5914E628

What wheels and tires are on the Outback?

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/Legacy/B1.JPG

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/Legacy/B2.jpg

Setup includes:

• 2 - STI/Brembo Calipers & Pads (2004-2017 will fit)
  • 4 - Caliper to knuckle bolts (They are different than OEM)
  • 2 - STI Fitment Front Rotors (2008 & newer)

This setup uses the OEM brake lines, dust shield and brake line banjo bolt.

The only clearance issues with fitting this setup is the wheels.

• The OEM wheels would need spacers same as surmise is running.
  • I opted to go for a set of take-off 2016 STI wheels, 5x114.3 bolt pattern, 18"x8.5" with a +55mm offset.
  • Any 2008 & newer wheel that fits an STI would also work.

I like to mod cars to look like they could be from the factory...but aren't. Weird right. :lol: Keeps people guessing.

Only 3 parts that weren't made by Subaru on my car are the springs, front rotors and a few bulbs.

The Wagner's are standard blank rotors with black E-Coating just like the OEM rotors . The Wagner's were $68 each from RockAuto.com compared to $434 each from the dealer for OEM :eek:. Wagner is an American company that has been making quality OEM replacement brake parts for a very long time.

Like new, take off calipers w/pads from a '15 STI - $650

New Wagner Rotors - $142

New Caliper bolts (4) - $18

New Brake Hose Washers (4) - $4

Bottle of brake fluid - $4

Also picked up the wheels as take-off's for $600

Did all the labor myself so all in for $1420

Would this setup work for the 2.5? Or just 3.6r?

If it works on 3.6R it will work on the 2.5. I upgraded my 2.5 front brakes to 3.6R spec (3.6R rotors and gen4 3.0 calipers). Subaru hasn't changed the front brake calipers in 3 gens...

Cool thanks,I guess I'll start shopping for parts a piece at a time:)

Archived