LegacyGT.com

spec b crisis. what would you do?

So I've been looking for a spec b for a long while now (08,09). And it seems like 2 have made their appearance at the same time. There's an 09 with under 50k miles all stock. (I prefer stock). It's out of town so I can't just go test it but after speaking to the owner it SOUNDED like oil changes weren't a regular for the car. no proof and not on Carfax.

Also found an 08 with same color and near similar mileage but much more modified. Pf green turbo, sti manifold and intercooler, full exhaust, and intake just to name a few. The modifications get me worried about the reliability but it does have the perks of being awesome and having some possible future issues already addressed like banjo filters air pump removal. Their both in great interior exterior condition and going for the same price. Any advice? I'm not as detailed but I can be more if needed

• Moderators

Have you worked on one of these cars before? If not, I don't recommend jumping in headfirst with a car that has a swapped manifold, etc. It could be a great car, but you may struggle with learning how to fix the little things that will eventually go wrong.

Compression test on either car is a must before purchase, IMO.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I concur with the BMB man, more power means more problems that is correct, just do your research and be very thorough in your research and in your questions to the current owner. It probably isn't a bad idea to run a carfax on both of them with the VIN. Good luck! :) Let us know how it goes!!

Also remember that your 2.5i is a great base to learn your way around this platform BUT remember the turbo trim requires a bit more attention to detail, maintenance and cost. Outside your basic maintenance you will want to check over the oiling, coolant and induction aspects of the car regularly (with each oil change) little things like a ripped inlet can cause big problems over time. And there are more systems on the LGT to keep in good health like the air pump and and TGVs. Stay on top of upkeep and minimize the abusive driving (we all love a good pull to redline!) you'll be happy for a long time.

Also remember that your 2.5i is a great base to learn your way around this platform BUT remember the turbo trim requires a bit more attention to detail, maintenance and cost. Outside your basic maintenance you will want to check over the oiling, coolant and induction aspects of the car regularly (with each oil change) little things like a ripped inlet can cause big problems over time. And there are more systems on the LGT to keep in good health like the air pump and and TGVs. Stay on top of upkeep and minimize the abusive driving (we all love a good pull to redline!) you'll be happy for a long time.

Couldn't agree more with this honestly, if you drive like a Hoonigan 24/7 shit will go boom much quicker than it should. We all have our moments and these cars are meant to be enjoyed. But as long as you keep your foot out of it as much as you can it's for the best. You take care of her and she'll take care of you! :wub:

Have you worked on one of these cars before? If not, I don't recommend jumping in headfirst with a car that has a swapped manifold, etc. It could be a great car, but you may struggle with learning how to fix the little things that will eventually go wrong.

Compression test on either car is a must before purchase, IMO.

Well. I have worked at a shop over 2 years ago so my confidence is up there. But never on a turbo legacy and much less one with swapped parts. I certainly will get compression test.I don't want to pay for thorough inspection for both. So I'm considering the 09

Well. I have worked at a shop over 2 years ago so my confidence is up there. But never on a turbo legacy and much less one with swapped parts. I certainly will get compression test.I don't want to pay for thorough inspection for both. So I'm considering the 09

Yeah I personally prefer stock myself as well honestly, it means I can do everything exactly how I want to, and if I break things it's nobodies fault by my own :p Sounds real low mileage too I say go for it!

Where is the 08 and 09? I wouldn't mind taking a look at them myself if you decide to pass on them! :D

The 08 is in Denver. You can find it on craigslist. The 09 I'll try to keep to myself for as long as I can. Keeping the competition away as best I can haha

There's an 09 with under 50k miles all stock. (I prefer stock). It's out of town so I can't just go test it but after speaking to the owner it SOUNDED like oil changes weren't a regular for the car. no proof and not on Carfax.

Did the owner do his/her own oil changes? or did they do they at a quick lube place? I am not advocating for buying a car that you raises a red flag, so you need to trust your own gut. If you don't trust the seller; might be good idea to move on. I just wouldn't rule out a car if it didn't have a digital maintenance trail.

On the flip side I do all my own oil changes as well as my own maintenance. I keep receipts for the oil & filter purchases during the warranty period but until recently I didn't keep oil change receipts after the warranty was expired. When selling my wife's last car privately, a prospective buyer claimed I did not do the proper maintenance. She did not believe that I did regular oil changes because I didn't have all receipts and it didn't show up on Carfax. (She also didn't believe I did the timing belt even thought I had the receipts for the part from a Toyota Dealer, she claimed I could have just bought the parts and not installed them to make it look like I had done the timing belt.) As you might imagine, I didn't sell my wife's car to that person. My cars are better kept 99% of the cars on the road despite the lack of digital maintenance trail.

Did the owner do his/her own oil changes? or did they do they at a quick lube place? I am not advocating for buying a car that you raises a red flag, so you need to trust your own gut. If you don't trust the seller; might be good idea to move on. I just wouldn't rule out a car if it didn't have a digital maintenance trail.

On the flip side I do all my own oil changes as well as my own maintenance. I keep receipts for the oil & filter purchases during the warranty period but until recently I didn't keep oil change receipts after the warranty was expired. When selling my wife's last car privately, a prospective buyer claimed I did not do the proper maintenance. She did not believe that I did regular oil changes because I didn't have all receipts and it didn't show up on Carfax. (She also didn't believe I did the timing belt even thought I had the receipts for the part from a Toyota Dealer, she claimed I could have just bought the parts and not installed them to make it look like I had done the timing belt.) As you might imagine, I didn't sell my wife's car to that person. My cars are better kept 99% of the cars on the road despite the lack of digital maintenance trail.

No doubt there. On my car I do everything myself I love that satisfaction you get. Unfortunately that causes trust issues with people since you are trying to convince them otherwise. In this case the owner simply said they would take it to a local shop and do full synthetic . (they live in a small town)

So it's possible there was oil changes.

Archived