LegacyGT.com

Oil on turbo compressor side

Hey guys, really hope to rely on your combined expertise here to diagnose a potential issue.

I am the second owner of a 2007 Spec.B, which I acquired 3 years ago at 58K. It is now just shy of 80k miles. So far the car has been running great mechanically, except for some minor issues starting out in very cold weather (threw the P0171 code once or twice, but issue seems to be pretty contained). Turbo has been running great though, no smells, no black smoke, etc. This is my first turbocharged vehicle and I am not very proficient with the inner workings of this car, I use it mostly as a DD (90% of the trip is highway), with some occasional spirited bursts.

However, I noticed that there was a fair amount of oil glisten on (what I'm pretty sure is) the turbo compressor. Please see the attached pictures. What could be causing this oil leak or buildup? Is it a potential disaster waiting to happen and should I do something about it asap? I also noticed that it looks like someone (the previous owner) put a clamp just to the left of it. Does that mean someone had to take of the intake manifold and all the piping, and had previously fiddled with the turbo?

Getting pretty worried up in here. :(

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.449325b922a059986c2a50da41059316.JPG

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.79bb2a881422838f4ac1cdad7fd044fc.JPG

Check the coolant line for the turbo (directly above said location). Also check your inlet for signs of deterioration.

You can try twisting the hose and reclamping it to see if it seals it up. You will likely find you need to replace the coolant line.

I don't know what clamp you're referring to since everything looks stock. If it's the big worm clamp that is on the inlet tube, it is definitely a stock part.

Thank you for the suggestions! From what both of you are saying, it doesn't sound like it's time to take everything apart and put a new turbocharger in haha..

@compsurge

I will take a look tomorrow when it is light out and the engine is cold. Doesn't sound like it would be expensive to fix though.

@boxman

So what are the repercussions if this is really the problem? Would I just replace the PCV valve?

Yeah, you'd just replace the PCV valve and the three hoses connected to it. It's a real MFer of a job. Covert Russian has a good write up in his monolithic all things maintenance thread.

It's hard to get in there, but from just feeling around the piping, it doesn't look like any of the lines are leaking, at least not visibly. The stuff on the intake boot does seem to be oil, although the grime makes it difficult to tell exactly.

So does that mean the turbo is leaking oil back into the intake boot? Is that indicative of more serious turbo problems?

Trying to figure out what this is as well while also diagnosing the early morning smoke under the hood issue. Have you made any headway?

EDIT : Took my car into the dealer today. They will be replacing the PCV and also the valve cover gasket that they said was leaking. All under my extended warranty too! Will report back if this does indeed fix the issue.

Hi misterE22, thanks for your input! Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you. Do you by any chance know what sum of cash you'd be shelling out for this if you didn't have the warranty?

Mine thankfully doesn't ever smoke or burn oil. I also seem to be getting to the proper boost levels, so no issues there.

Thanks JM. So what's the typical repair bill for replacing the seal? And what are the consequences, (and how long until they manifest themselves)?

Pardon my ignorance, this is my first turbo engine.

How can the lay person tell if it's a turbo seal or PCV blow-by? My inlet looked sort of like that when I pulled it out, not quite as bad, and my turbo outlet hose saturates oil through to the outside when I really step on it. There's a slippery film on the turbo outlet hose when I do.

OK guys...When you arrive at the point that you're at, it's not worth it to just put in a compressor side seal. It involves a complete disassembly of the turbo and at that point, it's easier and would be the same cost involved to do a complete recondition and make sure that everything is all good. If you are interested in finding out about that, PM me and I'll get you some information.

As for the lay person, it's difficult to really be able to tell except that when there is excessive oil on the front of the turbo (usually signified by black gunk on the compressor cover) then it's generally an indication of a compressor side piston ring oil seal BUT it could also be the compressor seal plate worn out too and at that point, it becomes more than just a recondition.

If you have a light film of oil on your turbo outlet hose (on the inside), that's actually fairly normal, especially if you do a lot of low rpm driving in the city or stop and go driving. The piston ring oil seals rely on oil pressure to help them seal and at low rpm, your oil pressure is of course lower. If you drive it on the highway a while and do that for a week and then remove the intercooler, you'll find that most, if not all, of the oil has gone away because the seals work better at 2500 rpm than they do at 700 rpm.

And Dedalus, as far as I'm concerned, no question is dumb so feel free to ask. I suggest a search first as sometimes you can find a lot of information that way, but if you want, you can PM me with questions.

JmP, my light film of oil is on the OUTSIDE of the turbo outlet hose and I suspect the silicone has saturated through. It's the only thing that is wet in that area. It only happens when I go WOT. At first I thought something in the area was spraying it, but it's the only thing wet. For fun I nikwaxxed the inside of the hose for testing (I know it will melt off), the hose stayed dry for a couple of weeks.

JmP, my light film of oil is on the OUTSIDE of the turbo outlet hose and I suspect the silicone has saturated through. It's the only thing that is wet in that area. It only happens when I go WOT. At first I thought something in the area was spraying it, but it's the only thing wet. For fun I nikwaxxed the inside of the hose for testing (I know it will melt off), the hose stayed dry for a couple of weeks.

Replace the hose.

Hi misterE22, thanks for your input! Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you. Do you by any chance know what sum of cash you'd be shelling out for this if you didn't have the warranty?

Mine thankfully doesn't ever smoke or burn oil. I also seem to be getting to the proper boost levels, so no issues there.

Valve Covers was 230 with labor; PCV was 53 parts only. No more smoking, happy about that.

The OP pic could be power steering fluid as well. All Legacys (Subarus) seem to have leaky power steering pumps. When I removed my intake the other day I found a pool of power steering fluid below it, and it was spread all the way back to the turbo inlet. I replaced the o-ring, but I have a feeling it's more than that.

When I opened my hood today to pull the dip stick so I can check the oil level after work, I glanced over at the PS tank, it was just above the full when cold line. 32 mile drive to work.

I'll take a better look after work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived