LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Cutout Switch

So i'm a stickler for quiet sound..... but at the same time I also go by the philosophy of I don't give a sh*t how loud it is if its maximizing my hp.

So my resonator pipe has a crack and I came up with a plan to replace that piece/pipe with a custom pipe with a 3" cutout valve.

I came to the conclusion I am definitely doing it so I wanted some or any feedback or ideas.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/exhaust_system/exhaust/illustration_1/

part #32

I want to replace the resonator with something else but didn't have any ideas, I thought a hiflo muffler. Any thoughts?

How effective is the resonator or whatever that little box is?

So from my downpipe it would go to that resonator pipe, which would be 3" , it would be 3" flange and pipe->3" muffler/different type of resonator(any ideas?)-> 3" cutout valve->3" to stock piping adapter.

Not sure if resonator is THAT effective. But I love my stock quiet sound, but at the same time I would like the option for full open track setting, and a low key quiet dd setting. Of course you need 2 different tunes if anyone is thinking about this as well.

Seems really simple, cheap, and effective.

In my experience with my hybrid ej255 wrx, the resonator didn't really do shit. Like yeah, it'll do something if you are all stock, but if you're not stock, then there will be little to no difference and honestly I've taken the resonator out of a few cars before and they seem to get a little more raspy when the resonator is out.

As for the cut-out... I threw one of those things on my hybrid rex and hated it. Waaaay too loud and if you think you can control the volume, it's kind of a crapshoot. Not to mention, the tunnel for the exhaust wasn't big enough so now every bump I go over, I hear a clickity clang from the damn cutout mashing the tunnel.

In my experience with my hybrid ej255 wrx, the resonator didn't really do shit. Like yeah, it'll do something if you are all stock, but if you're not stock, then there will be little to no difference and honestly I've taken the resonator out of a few cars before and they seem to get a little more raspy when the resonator is out.

As for the cut-out... I threw one of those things on my hybrid rex and hated it. Waaaay too loud and if you think you can control the volume, it's kind of a crapshoot. Not to mention, the tunnel for the exhaust wasn't big enough so now every bump I go over, I hear a clickity clang from the damn cutout mashing the tunnel.

Thats why I wanted to get a hiflow tube muffler in front of the cutout to try and quiet it slightly, but at the track , I'm not to worried about the sound. Simple brackets with rubber grommets I can weld on to muffler to keep it from hitting wall. Was it hitting the floor or the car? I assumed it was hitting car!

Midpipe resonator was most the sound restriction. yanking it even made the stock cans loud.

I ended up replacing it with 2 bullet style resonators and it was still meh.

I want to replace the resonator with a muffler! I think that would make a big difference vs removing the resonator and changing mufflers. it would be 3" downpipe to 3" muffler to 3" cutout to 3" to stock adapter and back into stock mufflers.

Basically from the downpipe go into a muffler, and figuring the right muffler is the biggest issue. My car is in shop so i'm not sure how much room is around the stock location of resonator. I'm assuming its flat because there isn't much room. But a 3" muffler replacing stock resonator might be more restrictive in stock exhaust setup is my main concern.

it wa awesome he kept it after he sold the car for a while i was hoping he still had it when i bought mine but he sold it.

in our cars you could probably wire the switch into the extra slots on the left side of the steering wheel

I have a 3" Perrin mid & y with an e-cutout right in the middle of the Y. It just bypasses the mufflers when I open the switch so it's essentially 3" all the way back when the switch is open and near stock when it's closed. I'm also running a catted DP and the Perrin resonator before the cut out.

Archived