LegacyGT.com

I bought an 09 GT Monday. It test drove perfect and the Carfax looked great. Signed papers and financed it. Drove it 2 miles and dropped the turbo. Looks like I will get to build a relationship with Sophie (My cars name) this weekend...

Take the car back immediately and return it. At least, in Michigan, there is a 3 day return available for vehicles if they have a situation as you described. I would not put up with that crap. Also call your finance company and explain exactly what happened and see if they can help too.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm texting with another guy in Florida that had almost that exact same scenario and I told him to find an attorney as they only offered him $400 to fix it and they charged him $9000 for an 05 LGT. He's in process right now of finding an attorney.

Good luck. I hope you can turn this out well for you.

The problem is that the Lemon Laws in Utah don't back me. They are only for new cars. Been trying to work with the dealer and they have been SUPER sketchy. I took the car to an official Subaru dealer and had them go through it. They said all that it needs is a Turbo. Just found a company that makes them for $310 so I'm just going to replace it myself. Thanks for the ideas. I have tried everything and they wont take it back. I feel pretty comfortable knowing that Subaru looked through it, though.

I got a quote on what the job would cost through Subaru and they quoted the job at $2200. The funny thing is that the dealer I bought the car from wanted me to BUY a $2200 warranty from them before I bought the car, "just in case" something went wrong. I am going to be SLAMMING them online. I hope no one else has to go through this. All day Tuesday, they wouldn't even tell me where my car was. I had to start dropping "F-bombs" and getting in their face before they would tell me it was at Subaru.

^ A $310 turbo is not going to be any good. PM the other user in this thread JmP as he does a great job rebuilding or making you a custom turbo.

Also, how did the turbo go out??

It's a company from California Called Atta. They warranty the Turbo for 2 years with an Unlimited Mile Warranty. Looking at reviews, they looked reliable. Thoughts?

They are JM turbo's, you can get on Ebay also. Aftermarket stuff, check out the following info, search JM turbo reviews rather then ATTA.

post 48- http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kinugawa-turbo-review-207738.html?p=4502458

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2602728

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/anyone-try-jm-turbos.394077/

im still questioning to why it went out to begin with. replacing the turbo might just cover something that is wrong and then take the entire engine and "new" turbo at the same time!

if I was you, I would do some searching on here about this. to many other things could have caused your turbo to go out.

For sure. I did take it to Subaru and had them check it out. They said that the only thing that they found was a Turbo. I looked up symptoms and everything led up to a bad turbo. I'll do some research, though.

im still questioning to why it went out to begin with. replacing the turbo might just cover something that is wrong and then take the entire engine and "new" turbo at the same time!

if I was you, I would do some searching on here about this. to many other things could have caused your turbo to go out.

I would definitely double check that the turbo didn't loose any metal into the oil-return line, or have Subaru reassure you that it did not (turbo missing parts of impellar fins) - otherwise you put the new turbo on thinking everything is good, then BAAAAAaaam your engine throws a rod-bearing because of metal in the oil.

You can't go wrong with the JmP rebuild. There's info on the details of the custom VF-40 he did for me in my rebuild thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261p6.html?highlight=chronicles

After you get the car back, you'll want to do a few quick oil changes to make sure there's no metal in the oil system.

It's a big problem when the turbo goes out. Your new here, these things do not do well when the turbo blows.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Took about 14 hours changing the turbo yesterday. Car runs great! I changed the oil after getting everything put together and am going to go to Jiffy Lube today to have them change it just in case. I found the turbine and compared it. Looks like there was very little metal that came off. I appreciate all of the help, guys. I'm stoked to be a part of the Subaru family!

Don't take your car to Jiffy Lube (or really any other quick change place). If you can change a turbo you can absolutely change your own oil.

Then you will sure that you have quality oil, a quality filter, and most of all the correct process followed (everything tightened correctly, fill levels set, general inspection while you're under the car, etc...).

Seriously, do your own oil change. Probably wouldn't hurt to send a sample to Blackstone Labs as well to make sure everything looks good.

Before reading this, I went to Jiffy Lube (More out of convenience than anything). I was going to have the do a flush as well, where I wasn't sure what the previous owner had done as far a service goes. When the guy told me what it would cost, I about S#!+ myself. I ended up just doing it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update (I had an additional thread covering some of this as well):

Post-New turbo installation I continued having these misfire codes.

I took it to the dealer and was told that it was internal (Rebuild)

I have been working with a family mechanic that worked me a solid deal and upgraded everything for me. In total he charged me $1500 for the work and has given me a 2 year unlimited mile warranty.

He is just about finished with everything and I should get my car back this week!

Just an update (I had an additional thread covering some of this as well):

Post-New turbo installation I continued having these misfire codes.

I took it to the dealer and was told that it was internal (Rebuild)

I have been working with a family mechanic that worked me a solid deal and upgraded everything for me. In total he charged me $1500 for the work and has given me a 2 year unlimited mile warranty.

He is just about finished with everything and I should get my car back this week!

sounds like its been a long first few week!

Archived