LegacyGT.com

Looking for sidewall specs for Pilot Super Sport and Potenza S-04 Pole Position

dave g

I'm looking for the # of tread plies and material for the Pilot and the sidewall plies/material for the both tires. Could not find on either manufacturer's web site and their customer service personnel could not tell me. Michelin was funny, the rep knew little of tires. First she asked and told me there was a 4-ply "rating", then she checked further and told me it was "proprietary". After I explained it was printed on the sidewall, she said a tech rep would have to call me back. The Bridgestone rep told me the tread plies (5-1 Rayon, 2 steel, 2 nylon) and surmised the sidewall was the same, as the data sheet did not list it. I also asked her to have someone get that sidwall information to me. I need to order tires quickly, as the potholes here are causing bulges in my Kumho Ecsta sidewalls. Any info is appreciated.

I would bet they are both 2 ply nylon. I have yet to see a tire that uses anything but 2 ply nylon or polyester for the sidewall.

Stop hitting things:p Or at least use a higher profile tire.

This. A 50 series would really take some of the jolt out of the potholes. Also, Ecstas are shitty tires. I ran the Les Schwab re-branded equivalents -- Zexius xi324s-- and they never gripped ANYTHING, nor handled very well.

Ecstas came with the car. They have one - ply polyester sidewall if I recall correctly. Many tires nowadays with one ply sidewalls.. I'll stop hitting things when there is more smooth road than holes.

Sounds like you need a set of Michelin airless Tweels:

http://www.michelintweel.com

Not in my size yet.:mad:

Oddly, Michelin customer care referred me to TireRack's site for the info. Looks like 2 steel plies for the tread, wrapped in something else. I'm a bit more concerned with the sidewall specs and they don't have that. I'll just search for sidewall problems in the two tires. A similar search for Kumho resulted in tons of reports.

I searched sidewall bulging for both tires. Many came up for the Michelin; I found no complaints for the Pole Position. Along the way, I saw bulge complaints for P-Zero, Conti, BFG, etc. I did not realize how common this was, At about $40 less for tire, I'll go with the Pole Position. BTW, these 2 tires were the#1 and #2 in Car and Driver's Monsters of Grip test in 2012 for summer tires.

Just checked at lunch, the S-04 sidewall is 2-ply rayon.

The price difference was a large party of why I went with the S-04 in the first place- not sure if it holds true for other sizes as well, but 245/45R18's were on sale, plus a $70 rebate, saved a pretty decent chunk of change.

where is it printed on the tires / what format? I can check for MPSSs tomorrow if you shoot me a PM.

Thanks. Tread and sidewall ply info is printed right next to the rim on my Kumhos and Generals, no abbreviations or acronyms.Says TREAD and SIDEWALL followed by material and number of plies

Archived