LegacyGT.com

Ignition Coils - OEM only? How about Napa??

So I was thinking about dropping the money on some Okada's, but my tuner says he swears they are just re-badged OEM coils that do nothing for you.

I was going to just get OEM from the dealership, but not a single local dealership has them in stock here in SLC.

How about Napa brand?

Because I hate shipping...

"This will decimate all once you put 15 grand into it, or more...and if we have to, overnite parts from Japan."

Yeah shipping sucks. I tend to want to do things on a whim and would prefer to just run down to the parts store and go. Then I remember these are Japanese products, so the parts you actually NEED are never close by. I'm still learning to plan ahead better. Tris is right, there are certain parts you just don't want to skimp on.

Well, this is one of those things you can't really skimp on, per se, either. Even if you order it from NAPA, it'll be the same thing you would have to otherwise buy at the dealership, and then pay their markup, too.

Wait, so your saying the dealership does not even have OEM Japanese coils??

I can see how that might have been confusing -- Of COURSE the dealership will have them! But, from someplace like NAPA, they'll "Special Order" it, and then of course, have to tack on markup.

For instance, when I was shopping for my rebuild parts, I priced out a gasket kit at NAPA. Guess what they quoted me? $460-something. Why? Because their "warehouse" would order it from whatever dealership was local, have it shipped there, mark it up, and then sell it to me. :lol:

The point is, unless there's a decent aftermarket alternative, for something like gaskets, or, small parts, NAPA doesn't/won't carry it.

Archived