LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Inspection

Have 75k miles on my05 LGT and would like to check the timing belt condition, cracks, fraying, etc. I have heard there are inspection panels that can be removed to allow for belt inspection. I have not found info on this. Can someone direct me to the panels and possibly directions to access them? The car is 10 years old and has not been driven hard at all. I have heard the belt should be replaced at 105 months or 105k miles. Several mechanics have said these belts typically last a long time if not abused. Any suggestions and recommendations on timing belt kit brands and service life would be appreciated. I also have read that an OEM Subaru water pump is the best to replace with.

Thanks for the help.

Its time dependent as well. 10 year or 105k. So if its original don't even bother inspecting it. Just replace it along with the rollers, tensioner and waterpump. Don't mess around an get a quality Gates kit. That engine will be done like dinner if it goes.

Its time dependent as well. 10 year or 105k. So if its original don't even bother inspecting it. Just replace it along with the rollers, tensioner and waterpump. Don't mess around an get a quality Gates kit. That engine will be done like dinner if it goes.

This ^

The normal black Gates belt will be fine, I'm not a fan of the blue one after reading all the threads about them here.

Look below for DIY threads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived