LegacyGT.com

Can someone please explain Subaru's transmission strategy?

I wonder what would have a better ROI - a well executed marketing plan on the existing Legacy GT, or a halo Legacy car?

I'm in high tech marketing, so I don't know anything about marketing cars.

However, let's think about this halo Legacy - let's call it the Legacy STi - with all of our wish lists:

- sedan only for now

- Bixenon HIDs

- three stage VDC: off, performance, and standard modes

- turbocharged boxer 6 - 350-400hp

- 6 speed STi drivetrain with the VDDC (is that the right acronym?)

- Navigation and Onstar

- Audi-quality interior

- 12 way power seats with memory

- two tone seating

- aggressive shoulder and thigh bolsters

- panoramic moonroof from the wagon

- 18" forged BBS wheels

- stiffer suspension and anti-rollbars

- higher end Momo steering wheel with audio controls

- higher end stereo with aux-in

- weight reduction 3100 pounds

- big brake kit that requires 18" rims for clearance

- tuning at the N*** race track in Germany

- restyled, more aggressive body kit with smooth underside and rear diffusers

... and make sure that the sum package can go head to head with the Audi RS4 and next gen BMW V8-powered M3 at 60% the price...

... Price it at $43,000

Send it out to all the automobile mags so they can flog this .9g+ <4.0 sec daily driver / commuter car and sing incredible praises to Subaru.

You'll sell out of the car, and drive enthusiasts to look at that pretty darned good Legacy GT for $15K less.

Albert

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what would have a better ROI - a well executed marketing plan on the existing Legacy GT, or a halo Legacy car?

I'm in high tech marketing, so I don't know anything about marketing cars.

However, let's think about this halo Legacy - let's call it the Legacy STi - with all of our wish lists:

- sedan only for now

- Bixenon HIDs

- three stage VDC: off, performance, and standard modes

- turbocharged boxer 6 - 350-400hp

- 6 speed STi drivetrain with the VDDC (is that the right acronym?)

- Navigation and Onstar

- Audi-quality interior

- 12 way power seats with memory

- two tone seating

- aggressive shoulder and thigh bolsters

- panoramic moonroof from the wagon

- 18" forged BBS wheels

- stiffer suspension and anti-rollbars

- higher end Momo steering wheel with audio controls

- higher end stereo with aux-in

- weight reduction 3100 pounds

- big brake kit that requires 18" rims for clearance

- tuning at the N*** race track in Germany

- restyled, more aggressive body kit with smooth underside and rear diffusers

... and make sure that the sum package can go head to head with the Audi RS4 and next gen BMW V8-powered M3 at 60% the price...

... Price it at $43,000

Send it out to all the automobile mags so they can flog this .9g+ <4.0 sec daily driver / commuter car and sing incredible praises to Subaru.

You'll sell out of the car, and drive enthusiasts to look at that pretty darned good Legacy GT for $15K less.

Albert

That'd be a great car and is probably doable except for one thing. The basic dash and interior panels (what I assume you mean by "Audi-quality interior") would not change. That kind of stuff is too costly for a limited production variant of a given platform.

I like the idea though. I'll just add that Subaru should keep it tasteful. No huge wings or any of that stuff.

The only other problem is Subaru would have to re-crash test that and that's an expensive fixed cost for a limted production model.

- sedan only for now

- Bixenon HIDs

... and make sure that the sum package can go head to head with the Audi RS4 and next gen BMW V8-powered M3 at 60% the price... Price it at $43,000.

Send it out to all the automobile mags so they can flog this .9g+ <4.0 sec daily driver / commuter car and sing incredible praises to Subaru. You'll sell out of the car, and drive enthusiasts to look at that pretty darned good Legacy GT for $15K less.

Albert

Why not a wagon? They should produce a handful of wagons, and take orders if demand exceeds supply...

BMW and MB are coming out with hot versions of the M5 Touring, and E55 AMG wagon, not to mention the Magnum SRT8.

There are only a couple of glitches with this proposed car...

No OnStar. That is getting a little too cozy with GM, and I prefer not to have a nanny-sitter in my car. Optional, maybe for those who must have it.

Nav optional too. I don't need it, and I really don't need to pay for it.

I think you were trying to associate the improved seating arrangement with Audi-quality. No problems there. Hopefully the memory also ties into the mirrors and climate control defaults.

I don't think Subaru needs to improve much on the rest of the interior front, but here are some ideas...

Replace the cubby/vent/bezel with a similar part that holds three round DEFI guages, and replace the silver trim parts with CF or Ebony wood, or something more durable and tactile than silver painted (wear susceptible) plastic.

Re-finish the center stack with the black-brushed-metal surfacing that the JDM/ROW gets, including the McIntosh (American brand, IIRC) Stereo with input. Digital enhanced communication for MP3 players and Satelite radio controls would be great, but analog would be good enough. Also standardized connections between head unit/pre-amp and separate amp, so that people can replace the audio system downstream of the pre-amp for those so-inclined...

The panoramic moon-roof might be a challenge, though. The roof structure of the wagon is different than the sedan, taller, and much longer. The glass might fit in the length of the sedan's roof, but would not be able to move backward, unless above the roof.

A different setup might work better for the sedan. Something like the Mini, tC, and C-class coupe. Two panels of similar size, where the front panel slides under the fixed rearward panel, with the ring structure beam supporting the leading edge of the rearward panel. When closed, it looks like the whole roof is glass from the base of the windsheild, to the bottom of the rear window, with just the buttresses over the door glass being painted.

Spec B grade suspension with inverted coil-over-strut, aluminum control arms, hollow sway-bars, etc. 400hp Twin-Turbo H6, 6MT, with VTD (automatic-only version of Driver Controlled Center Differential). I also like Albert's suggestion of 3-stage Vehicle Stability control. I'd also go with the 06 WRX STI's 3 helical Limited-slip differentials augmenting the computer controlled viscous coupling in the center diff.

*Tell me of a better 400hp car in the snow... :D That's right, you can't. The open-diff, front-plowing V8 S4 doesn't stand a chance. M3 had better be in the garage, or it will be in the ditch.

I have been saying this for months and months, as well, and Albert is on the right track. Build a stellar car, and watch it's little siblings sell...

The thing is, I think Subaru should build a Halo car, AND fix it's marketing strategy for the lower models, and offer the correct option configurations for the lower models. Otherwise people who walk in to see the Legacy STi won't buy the lower model, if it turns out that the lower price cuts out TOO much. Along with offering coupes attached to their Impreza and Legacy model lines.

*Tell me of a better 400hp car in the snow... :D That's right, you can't. The open-diff, front-plowing V8 S4 doesn't stand a chance. M3 had better be in the garage, or it will be in the ditch.

Have you driven one in the snow? I owned a B5 A4 and have driven a B5 S4 (turbo V6) in quite a big of snow. I haven't driven my LGT in the snow yet but I'll be amazed if it's better. I don't know what you mean by open diff since the Audis have EDL at either end and a Torsen in the middle. EDL works better than people here give it credit for and the Torsen is simply great (had a Miata with one in back too).

I suspect drawing a difference in snow traction between the LGT and an A4/S4 is picking nits. If you want to compare reliability between a Audi and a Subie, that's a different story.

Archived