LegacyGT.com

how to enable backup camera while not in reverse?

Would anyone know how to get a wiring schematic for the 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited and/or 2015 Outback Premium(both 2.5i)? I've had Honda's prior to owning Subarus and they always had a service manual you could buy from Helm, which showed every wire and connector in the car. I don't know what Subaru uses or how to get my hands on one, but if someone can point it out, I would be happy to purchase it and share any diagrams needed.

What I'm looking to do is add a switch in the car which would turn the backup camera on while I'm in drive.

For those who might be wondering why - it has to do with parking in my garage. It's a tight garage and my wife and I can see exactly where we need to pull in, based on the yellow lines in the backup camera lining up with the pavement spacer. I'd like to do this without having to keep putting it in reverse to check the camera each time I park.

I've read previous models have a wire in the foot area, that if 12v is supplied, would enable the camera to turn on and show it on the Nav. I'm hoping it's the same but I'd like to have confirmation before I start pumping 12v into wires that show 12v, when Reverse is selected. (I don't want to fry my ECU or anything else)

I appreciate any and all advice!

Would anyone know how to get a wiring schematic for the 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited and/or 2015 Outback Premium(both 2.5i)? ... I don't know what Subaru uses or how to get my hands on one, but if someone can point it out, I would be happy to purchase it and share any diagrams needed.

You can download the entire FSM in PDF format, including wiring schematics, from Subaru Technical Information System. There is a multi-tier subscription fee, but the basic (3 days for $35) subscription is more than adequate to download the entire FSM and lots more. You can even automate the process on Linux, Windows, or IOS with a shell script.

Check out this thread on the Outback forum for a full discussion of the topic, including a working sample Linux shell script: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/181618-2015my-service-manual.html

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 years later...
How to activate the back up camera on my 2017 Legacy, when not in reverse. All ideas welcome. My radio does NOT have an info button, so that won't work. Nothing on the Outback forum applies, BTDT. Thanks.

The shell script on the Outback forum allows you to download all of the PDF files as a group.

It DOES work.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

The only way I know is while in Park, set the parking brake, go into display settings and it will allow you to view the rear view camera. So if you ground out the parking brake wire coming out the back of the head unit, you should be able to view this while moving. EDIT: I have not done this, nor do I what will be vehicle systems may be affected.

Refer to the first post in this thread, complete head unit wiring diagram courtesy of PDuncan...

Starlink Head Unit Removal- Schematics

Legacy audio wiring.pdf

I did the same...

This is a new use for the rear view camera I had not thought of, my concern would be trying to watch the camera while driving forward...

I too have a tight garage for two cars to fit. What I did to help my wife was:

1. Park the car exactly where it need to be in the garage first. Took a couple of backwards and forwards to get it where I wanted it.

2. I attached a string to the ceiling with a bright yellow tennis ball on the end. The tennis ball is directly in front of the driver when in the car is in the right spot.

Now all she has to do is drive into the garage and aim directly for the tennis ball. Stop as soon as the tennis ball touches the windshield. She has not messed up parking since.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

• 8 months later...

Hey Everyone - Quite a simple solution to this that involves nothing but pressing some buttons on the head unit!

All you have to do is hold down the info button and press the audio/tune knob two times. This takes you to the Line Diag page. Then just hit "Camera Setting: and you will be viewing your rear view camera indefinitely.

Want to go back to the main head unit to change your music, look at map, etc? Just hit the return button and you will return to the Line Diag screen. Then just hold down the Home button for 3(ish) seconds and the head unit will quickly restart.

This is easy enough to do that you can do while driving if you know you're in a safe position to do so since you can get to the diag page essentially without even looking down at the head unit and then only having to look down to see where the camera setting button is to press it.

Disclaimer: Don't hit the "Audio check" button our you'll blow out your eardrums, or your speakers haha. But seriously it turns your audio to 100% and sends a signal to each speaker to your car at a time to test. Also I have the 2017 sport trim with Nav/eyesight so the 7 inch screen. Not sure if this will work on the smaller screen or on the new 2018 head unit. This will work for the original poster but to those who do not have the info button will still have to find another solution

Hey Everyone - Quite a simple solution to this that involves nothing but pressing some buttons on the head unit!

All you have to do is hold down the info button and press the audio/tune knob two times. This takes you to the Line Diag page. Then just hit "Camera Setting: and you will be viewing your rear view camera indefinitely.

Want to go back to the main head unit to change your music, look at map, etc? Just hit the return button and you will return to the Line Diag screen. Then just hold down the Home button for 3(ish) seconds and the head unit will quickly restart.

This is easy enough to do that you can do while driving if you know you're in a safe position to do so since you can get to the diag page essentially without even looking down at the head unit and then only having to look down to see where the camera setting button is to press it.

Disclaimer: Don't hit the "Audio check" button our you'll blow out your eardrums, or your speakers haha. But seriously it turns your audio to 100% and sends a signal to each speaker to your car at a time to test. Also I have the 2017 sport trim with Nav/eyesight so the 7 inch screen. Not sure if this will work on the smaller screen or on the new 2018 head unit. This will work for the original poster but to those who do not have the info button will still have to find another solution

This sounds awesome. I'm going out to try it :)

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't know how you found out about this 'feature' but it works and it's really neat. I don't have any use for it at this moment but it's otherwise pretty cool.

This is a great little trick. I've used it and it works very well. But the only annoying thing is that you can't listen to xm radio, and you have absolutely no audio controls unless you restart your head unit.

Otherwise this works very well. Thanks for posting this!

Archived