LegacyGT.com

Burning 1 qt of oil in 300 miles

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my thinking with a quart of oil every 300 miles.

Right, but OP says no smoke, no running issues.

I'm still on board with oil in intake, although, that much oil in there is bound to be noticeable.

OP should get the car on a lift and spend some time with a flashlight just looking around. . .

Mine is about that bad with similar compression numbers at 134K miles.

Slowly getting things in order for a new SB, but I'll be inspecting the turbo again soon since I bought a new DP.

As far as shops in KS, closest one to you would be Modified by KC in Kansas City. They have quite a bit of experience with Subaru, Honda, and Mitsubishi.

Good luck in solving your issue.

Mine is about that bad with similar compression numbers at 134K miles.

Slowly getting things in order for a new SB, but I'll be inspecting the turbo again soon since I bought a new DP.

As far as shops in KS, closest one to you would be Modified by KC in Kansas City. They have quite a bit of experience with Subaru, Honda, and Mitsubishi.

Good luck in solving your issue.

I figured there'd be one in KC, I just didn't bother to Google it. :lol: Good job.

I figured there'd be one in KC, I just didn't bother to Google it. :lol: Good job.

I'm originally from KC.

And FWIW, I haven't ever had them do work for me, but I do have a good friend that trusts their tuner, Chad, to tune his 750+ WHP Integra.

The only business I have done with them personally is renting the dyno to tune my old B20V.

Ok, so plenty of oil sheen in the intercooler. I think I'm basically running around town, combusting oil like a 2 stroke. I'm thinking the plan at this point will be a rebuilt OEM vf40 so I don't have to get another tune, or put any more stress on the rest of the motor. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the OCV's, KRM. I basically stick to Castrol GTX 5W30.

Gonna jump in and say that I too blow through about a quart every 6 feet. Took a 300 mile trip and lost just under a quart. I thought I wasn't getting exhaust smoke at first, thought it was just cold weather exhaust fumes. Turned out that wasn't the case after driving on a warm day.

Low and behold, leaking VF40 was the issue :) If you're looking for an OEM rebuild, PM me and I can give you a hell of a protip.

I've got a friend who burns about that much oil. Good news is he never has to do an oil change, bad news it, he needs a new sb (low compression). He's got one being built right now. But his also doesn't smoke until you really romp on it.

That's how mine was before I rebuilt it. At normal driving, oil comsumption was low, but with spirited driving it would be high. I was burning a quart of oil every 750 miles, and that's when I decided to rebuild the motor.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

If it makes you feel better I just got my heads rebuilt, Timing, and clutch ($3000). I have had the car for about 600 miles since the repair. I noticed a funny sound at work so I took the car to the dealer. It had a slight knock on the drivers side. The engine was basically empty. At least the oil light wasn't flashing.

My car burns oil at a crazy pace. They told me to come back in 200 miles to see if the oil is missing. It Doesn't smoke and runs alright. Should be a quart low in 200 miles if not more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update,

With a heavy heart, I rebuilt the turbo with a new CHRA, replaced a few oil lines and checked the banjo screen, then drove about 300 miles with no oil loss to be sure...and traded it in.

Nothing on the used lots anymore that fit my current budget/age/space needs while tickling my fancy, so I settled on a Mazda5 Grand Touring with only 50k on the clock. It's actually a pretty sweet little car and I'm enjoying how care-free it is to drive. It's a bit less fun, but also a lot less work to drive.

Meanwhile, I'll be saving up and hoping for a GTI or GTD version of the Golf Sportwagen or Levorg (Please, SoA!) to come to the US.

For the first time in over a decade, we are a Subaru-free family. Weird!

Until next time, LegacyGT.com. Thanks for all of your help!

Just an update,

With a heavy heart, I rebuilt the turbo with a new CHRA, replaced a few oil lines and checked the banjo screen, then drove about 300 miles with no oil loss to be sure...and traded it in.

Nothing on the used lots anymore that fit my current budget/age/space needs while tickling my fancy, so I settled on a Mazda5 Grand Touring with only 50k on the clock. It's actually a pretty sweet little car and I'm enjoying how care-free it is to drive. It's a bit less fun, but also a lot less work to drive.

Meanwhile, I'll be saving up and hoping for a GTI or GTD version of the Golf Sportwagen or Levorg (Please, SoA!) to come to the US.

For the first time in over a decade, we are a Subaru-free family. Weird!

thanks for the update. I was gonna say most people dont really see smoke till you really get on it. In my experience anyway.

Experiencing the same problem. 130k miles, all stock. Car just seems like it doesn't have a working turbo. Did a compression test & came back with good results. Purchased a VF52 with all supporting mods. Also going to pull all banjo bolt filters, replace PCV valve & clean oil lines while I'm there. Hopefully this will solve my problem!

Honestly, while I was initially thinking INANSB, I started looking at what that would mean to the market value of the car. If I sold it now if the engine was fine, but had 151k, vs trading it in after a $5,000 engine rebuild and 151k on the body, there was basically no difference in value. Judging on what I've read around here, if my engine was OK now, I probably couldn't expect a whole ton of miles left in it, so I was really looking at a rebuild soon, if not in the next 50k miles, if I kept it. In the end, it just wasn't a smart move financially to risk it. I'm sure some guy without a mortgage/kids will pick it up at auction and have the time and resources to breathe new life into her. Good luck, whoever you are!

Well, that's a mixed blessing, frankly; now you get to hunt until you find the source of your oil leak. A full qt over essentially a tank of gas isn't very good at all. Start checking around..

am i wrong in assuming this will also mean whatever was left of his cats at his mileage are now clogged?

am i wrong in assuming this will also mean whatever was left of his cats at his mileage are now clogged?

I asked a Subaru mechanic the same thing. He said that it burns the oil up because the cat is so hot and doesn't really effect flow. Seems like a lot of oil to burn up without smoke.

I just used 2 3/4 quarts oil in 317 miles. They are going to check the plugs and see if there is excess build up (Ring lands). If not its going out the turbo.

Just an update,

Can we ask, what did they give you for the trade in??

Archived