LegacyGT.com

Burning 1 qt of oil in 300 miles

Similar issues. Replaced everything but the turbo, which has 178k on it.

Car runs great but damn it goes through a quart every 700 miles.

Am I looking at a new turbo? Works fine and no shaft play but been reading about a bad seal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Short block already?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep seeing people doing compression tests.

THESE:

http://www.notajetta.com/lgt/engine/IMG_4444.JPG

Passed 2 compression tests. (Yes, the missing chunk was still in there, but fell out at removal)

Leakdown gave it away. And I wasn't burning half as much oil as some of you (1qt per 500mi). Actually the leakdown and the oil use were the only things that gave it away besides some light smoke at WOT and occasional slightly heavier smoke at startup.

Now to be fair, one compression test did show the issue, but that was mostly luck. More of them passed than failed with two pistons gone. The #4 had slightly lower numbers on the two passes, but only by like 10psi, which on a 90k motor was pretty good.

So do you recall which cylinders these 2 pistons came from? One of them is cylinder 4, what about the other?

I changed my plugs back at 95k or so. I noticed that the plugs from cylinders 2 & 4 (driver's side) had a black sheen compared to the plugs from 1&3. (greyish)I haven't noticed any excessive oil consumption but at the back of my mind keep thinking 2&4 might have the beginnings of ringland failure. Anyone notice a correlation of cracked ringlands on cylinders 2&4?

I'm at 125k now and it's still running fine, no excessive oil consumption.

Great... I had been worried about the turbo letting go, but since I've taken out the filter and it was clean I thought I was in the clear... Sounds like It's just a matter of time then. Run it til it dies or sell it while it's still running well..

I've never owned a car where I was constantly thinking, I wonder when the engine or turbo are going to fail... :confused:

Great... I had been worried about the turbo letting go, but since I've taken out the filter and it was clean I thought I was in the clear... Sounds like It's just a matter of time then. Run it til it dies or sell it while it's still running well..

I've never owned a car where I was constantly thinking, I wonder when the engine or turbo are going to fail... :confused:

Run until it dies means that by the time you know it's dying, it's already too late.

I'll probably just run it til the oil consumption increases. Every month that i keep driving it is a car payment saved. After another year to year and a half i will have saved what its worth now. 3000Miles since last oil change and its still at full mark.

Archived