LegacyGT.com

So...i got a 97 Legacy GT and...

stevensane247

I overheard something on they are known to blow head gaskets? im at 103k and bought mine at 77k and not sure if its been done or not i got records of timing belt and crankshaft oil seal so im good there so im kinda paranoid..whats the mileage they are known to go? and when it does or if it does how difficult is it to do? one other thing off topic from this i found a 5spd trans out a 96 Outback is that the same as my 97? i got a major grindage into 1st unless i put it into 2nd first on a stop then to 1st and its fine. dont wanna get myself into a new trans when it could be an adjustment i do not know about.

Steve

I traded my 99 GT LTD sedan at 125k. There was nothing wrong with it other than it needed a set of tires. Maintenance consisted of 1 set of tires, 1 set of brakes, 2 oil leaks and routine maintenance. I would still have it, but one day I test drove an 05 GT ....

You have a model known for head gasket problems, yes. But that dosen't mean it will happen automatically. Make sure you add the special suburu coolant additive to your radiator and cross your fingers. Also try not to lug your engine alot as that will create additional pressure on the head gaskets. As for the 1st gear thing, try changing out your tranmission oil with some synthetic and see if that helps.

Blew mine at 75k (might have been my driving :rolleyes: ). I got lucky and it only cost me $560, but if they do go for you expect around $1500 :(. Its not a cheap job to do and it requires you to pull the engine. Your best bet is to have a compression check done by the dealer, they'll know what to do. Good luck with yours and good to hear someone else here has a '97 (best GT bodystyle eva!)

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

how do i do a compression check? it was difficult enough to do the sparkplugs...

You changed your own sparkplugs on the EJ25D? You are crazy. The delaer has some special tool they use to get them out since there is no clearance.

I don't know that the thing is called that you use for the compression check. It is a tube with a pressure gauge on one end and the other end screws in to where the spark plugs are. It was a pain in the butt. If I had to do it again i would pay someone else to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

You're kidding, right?

The spark plugs are kind of a pain, but you still get them out with

a regular spark plug socket and a ratchet. You just have to move

the airbox and wiper fluid reservoir.

Anyways, you should not be paying more than $1000 for a headgasket replacement. From what I have seen, and from my own experiences,

it usually costs ~$400 to take the engine out, and ~$400 to put it

back in. Besides that, it's really not terribly involved.

I had my head gaskets replaced, block bored out, new pistons put

in, valvetrain checked out, and clutch replaced, all for about

$1600. I think the key here is not to have a dealership do it.

I have a small, private mechanic that I have do all the things that

I'm not really willing to do. Small places HAVE to give good

customer service and fair prices in order to maintain a customer

base.

Why stress it. Subys are all around good cars. Baby her and she'll take care of you. Do all preventive maint you can do and when it happens you will know you did all you could. Diagnosing will do nothing but increase your worries. (in my opinion) By the way those plugs are a pain thank god I had an aftermarket cold air intake when I changed my wifes. All I had to do was remove the washer bottle and use a stubby extension with a plug socket and flexable head ratchet. It was a pain!

You're kidding, right?

The spark plugs are kind of a pain, but you still get them out with

a regular spark plug socket and a ratchet. You just have to move

the airbox and wiper fluid reservoir.

Anyways, you should not be paying more than $1000 for a headgasket replacement. From what I have seen, and from my own experiences,

it usually costs ~$400 to take the engine out, and ~$400 to put it

back in. Besides that, it's really not terribly involved.

I had my head gaskets replaced, block bored out, new pistons put

in, valvetrain checked out, and clutch replaced, all for about

$1600. I think the key here is not to have a dealership do it.

I have a small, private mechanic that I have do all the things that

I'm not really willing to do. Small places HAVE to give good

customer service and fair prices in order to maintain a customer

base.

I would have been happy to take it somewhere other then the dealer. It is difficult to ask a mechanic if he thinks he can fix your car when you and him don't speak the same language and even more difficult to asscertain if he actually 'can' fix it or if he jsut thinks he can. Subaru's ae not that popular here in Germany. Difficult to find someone to work on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well, I have a 98 Legacy GT and I actually blew the engine on it! Slammed it into 3rd gear going 80 mph from 500 rpms in neutral and didn't give it any gas - just slammed it into gear. But anyway, I've actually gone through removing the engine myself (have pics, will post them next): it's not as simple as a V engine, but certainly better than most import engines. It's straightforward enough - though a Chilton's manual will definitely help you out. Basically, you can remove your intakes and take a look right at your head gaskets - if they look like crap, get the proper tools to pull off your heads and REPLACE those gaskets - better safe than sorry. The problem with this is that it takes several days if you don't know what you're doing to pull the engine apart (hence the Chilton's). And I don't know how the heck you got the spark plugs out with the engine still in - i had the engine out, on jack stands and pulled and yanked on the wires until they came free, then I had to use a pair of pliers to unscrew them (stripped one of them!). Anyway, good luck with that.

Archived