LegacyGT.com

parts needed for reliable DD Stage 1 5EAT?

I see the quote's for overcooling which is a real thing. If you don't believe me by all means contact climberd maker of the much loved hexmods valve body. As we all know fluid needs to be at a certain temp to work effectively. Trans is no different. Too hot means a problem too cold much the same.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote from that forum link:

"Stock. This is fine for most people. It's not perfect. ATF can be overheated, and ATF can certainly be over-cooled, in the way the car comes from the factory. This is an acceptable setup for cold climates. It is not a good setup for hot climates that have a lot of stop-and-go traffic or mountains, and is not great for towing or road course racing. If in a hot climate you do many back-to-back rounds of acceleration, or create heat some other way (towing) then you should invest in a transmission cooler, and should strongly consider a bypass thermostat as well (more on that later)."

i am going stage 2, but don't really do any of the above activities...do i really need this?

did you have to do transmission cooler or any mods like that?

I was concerned about it initially, read about Hexmods and realized since I am not going beyond stage 2 I don't need anything like that for the type of driving I do.

I have considered and am still considering a transcooler, just haven't gotten serious about it. Again, I only use my car for daily and the occasional spirited driving, so I am not really in any hurry. Doing my 60k trans fluid change last year it looked really clean and smelled good. If I ever decided to go autocrossing or to a track day I would absolutely be getting a cooler at minimum.

I was concerned about it initially, read about Hexmods and realized since I am not going beyond stage 2 I don't need anything like that for the type of driving I do.

I have considered and am still considering a transcooler, just haven't gotten serious about it. Again, I only use my car for daily and the occasional spirited driving, so I am not really in any hurry. Doing my 60k trans fluid change last year it looked really clean and smelled good. If I ever decided to go autocrossing or to a track day I would absolutely be getting a cooler at minimum.

that's how i drive. i cant put the valve body mod on mine since I'm an 08 so i want to make sure I'm not missing any easy preventative mods that will prolong the life of my 5eat

The one thing I have read on here multiple times are horror stories about hard launches, so I avoid them and never pre-load and launch.

I think you'll be ok, maybe put a cooler on your to-do eventually list.

it's not absolutely required. Do your research. You can get away with it and the result is that your car will temporarily go rich during throttle lift (shifting). Is it not optimal? Yes. Is it worth it to have someone convert you to sd? Probably not.

Get a valve that is at least 50% recirculation and you should most likely be fine.

Or get an adjustable one like a gofastbits. I have it probably around 15% vent to air and i can hear it just fine. 100% is just obnoxious imho.

this

Why are you going to knowingly set the car up wrong? I would never spend money on my car and do something that is not the proper way of doing it. Its your car but just to have some extra whoosh sound its not worth it. The stock valve works just fine till you start running much higher boost from a larger turbo.

I didn't say it was fine. If it was me I wouldn't run a vtm bov, that momentary rich at off throttlw /shift would worry me.

I like my cylinder walls oiled.

I agreed with the post.

Its not worth it to switch to a SD tune just so you can feel like Paul walker. I agreed that it goes momentary rich at shift, because the pcm believes it has accounted for the oxygen drawn into the engine and past the maf to calculate fueling. If you vent some of that at shift, or lift off throttle, and it get vented to atmosphere, all of a sudden there is a short time where it is rich, probably too rich. I agree that it is not optimal, meaning that it will possibly shorten the life expectancy of your engine, like starion said, why not do it right.

sorry, I'm slow...

Just asking, did you talk with Dave before you started buying parts that he will have to tune your car with ?

It's nice to buy parts from the guy who's doing your tune, he will sell you what he knows.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just asking, did you talk with Dave before you started buying parts that he will have to tune your car with ?

It's nice to buy parts from the guy who's doing your tune, he will sell you what he knows.

i did, he had no problem when i mentioned the BOV. nonetheless i may not put it on now. only other thing i have is the Cobb AP and hopefully a CNT DP coming soon. when i mentioned the DP he pointed me towards some gaskets and stuff that i should also get so it all fits.

regarding Colorado emissions testing... after stage 2 it looks like i am doomed to fail, is this true?

If the readiness monitors for evap emissions, oxygen sensors and catalysts and have not run, they will put it on the rollers. At that time if you're catless you will fail.

And if I have a catted dp w/ stage 2?

Archived