LegacyGT.com

parts needed for reliable DD Stage 1 5EAT?

Do you see where I got confused? Your handles are almost anagrams.

OP, why unfortunately 5EAT?

well, i like it for my style of driving. but after reading all the power disadvantages vs 5mt, all the threads about having to add valve bodies and transmission coolers and etc its just a bit discouraging to go stage 2. but i'm still going to do it. just want to make sure my car will stay reliable with just a Cobb AP, Cobb Catted DP, GFB Respons BOV @ 50/50, and a nice tune from CryoTune or someone else around here

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your car will be fine with those modifications, regardless if its auto ot manual. I just find auto to be extremely boring to drive and im pretty sure you can get better gas mileage with a manual as well. But to each their own! Good luck with the car! Stage 2 is much better than stock and still very reliable

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

well, i like it for my style of driving. but after reading all the power disadvantages vs 5mt, all the threads about having to add valve bodies and transmission coolers and etc its just a bit discouraging to go stage 2. but i'm still going to do it. just want to make sure my car will stay reliable with just a Cobb AP, Cobb Catted DP, GFB Respons BOV @ 50/50, and a nice tune from CryoTune or someone else around here

No one ever got 500hp from on their stock-ish 5MT; there's at least one 5EAT boasting that power, though.

The 5MTs break at like, 350. The 5EAT will shift sloppy and slip, but, it won't break at higher power levels.

And if you think an MT is faster than an AT, you're wrong.

the one i have coming in is a GFB Respons. once i get it put on, along with d.p./stage1 or maybe stage 2, i'll get the car tuned. good to go you think?

again, i am unfortunately 5eat lol

Stage 1 does not require any hardware modifications. It's just a tune.

A DP, on the other hand, automatically puts you at stage 2 and also requires an appropriate tune of some sort. A stage 1 tune and stage 2 tune are not interchangeable.

I just replaced my crank pulley with a Kartboy LWCP heaviest and cheapest, I definitely notice a difference in the way it idles and revs, not sure on improved gas mileage yet but I've read 2 mpg greater. I replaced it because I was doing my TB and the thread on our crank pulleys breaking apart.

I also had my torn lower LCA's replaced and I notice a big difference when I brake, front end feels much tighter as I brake and come to a stop, slop is gone.

I'm happy with stage1, if the motor ever goes I will go Stage2 with a Hexmod VB and a Mr Tris/JMP engine/turbo build. :lol:

I just replaced my crank pulley with a Kartboy LWCP heaviest and cheapest, I definitely notice a difference in the way it idles and revs, not sure on improved gas mileage yet but I've read 2 mpg greater. I replaced it because I was doing my TB and the thread on our crank pulleys breaking apart.

I also had my torn lower LCA's replaced and I notice a big difference when I brake, front end feels much tighter as I brake and come to a stop, slop is gone.

I'm happy with stage1, if the motor ever goes I will go Stage2 with a Hexmod VB and a Mr Tris/JMP engine/turbo build. :lol:

What'd you replace the LCA bushing with? Whiteline?

No, I didn't realize they we're torn bad, the shop I took it to is 100 miles away and he only had OEM, so that's what I went with. I should be fine for another 40-50k at least, which should be another 5-6 years as much as I drive.

You won't regret it. I've be at stage 2 with my 5eat for a couple years now. The difference between my car and my wife's '09 are night and day.

did you have to do transmission cooler or any mods like that?

did you have to do transmission cooler or any mods like that?

Trans cooler isn't a must, per se, but definitely a good idea overall. Really not hard to install, either. Cheap, too. $50 gets you a really good one. Mine was like, $35ish. Be sure to buy the extra hose.

Trans cooler isn't a must, per se, but definitely a good idea overall. Really not hard to install, either. Cheap, too. $50 gets you a really good one. Mine was like, $35ish. Be sure to buy the extra hose.

any recommendations on brand? thx

any recommendations on brand? thx

I used Hayden, but Transcool is a good brand, too. They're all almost the same. Bar and plate is where it's at, although, tube and fin works, too. Find one that's in your price range and install it. Better than not having it.

This is what I bought and installed on mine.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3DDKO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000C3BBKS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZKRY7GTTQ6889A2PW0B]Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 678 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive[/ame]

Make sure you read up on trans coolers. Look up info from hexmods. You can put a cooler on that does more harm then good. The best way is with a thermostat and bypass to work properly or you risk overcooling which is bad as well.

Know how to solve "overcooling"?

Drive it hard-er.

Problem solved. :cool:

i'm not going to be pushing my car THAT hard all the time...but i'll do anything to extend longevity/reliability...is it still a good idea? i might only womp on the gas like once per day, everyday

i'm not going to be pushing my car THAT hard all the time...but i'll do anything to extend longevity/reliability...is it still a good idea? i might only womp on the gas like once per day, everyday

Just once a day, everyday?

You're either lying to us, yourself, or both. Don't ask me to pick which one, you won't like my answer.

That said, if you're only gonna "womp on the gas" like, "once per day", you should just say To Hell With It and get a Camry.

Just once a day, everyday?

You're either lying to us, yourself, or both. Don't ask me to pick which one, you won't like my answer.

That said, if you're only gonna "womp on the gas" like, "once per day", you should just say To Hell With It and get a Camry.

yeah, i am lying to myself :)

yeah, i am lying to myself :)

The first step is admitting it.

I'm personally on the Thirteenth Step.

Recall the deeds as if they're all

Someone else's

Atrocious stories

Now you stand reborn before us all

So glad to see you well. . .

The first step is admitting it.

I'm personally on the Thirteenth Step.

Recall the deeds as if they're all