LegacyGT.com

Heavy Steering

I have a 2005 legacy gt that has really heavy power steering. It is almost like no power steering. Feels same when stopped or moving.

Tires have enough air

Stock suspension

PS pump is changed

Fluid is not low

Next thing I am going to try is flushing the system but I doubt it is the problem.

There are no visible leaks at the rack or lines.

Could it be the rack itself ?

Any ideas and suggestions? Thanks for reading...

I'm with Merc. Just because your reservoir is filled doesn't mean there's not air in the rack. Not sure how it would have gotten there, but it's the easiest approach.

When you flush, that should tell you if your pump is functioning properly. I use a drill to turn the pulley to make it a bit easier.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Well the car had been sitting for over a year (blown motor). I started her up once in a while but I guess it is very possible air or condensation happened in the steering lines.

Wouldn't it be easier to flush by cranking the engine with ignition and fuel pump fuses out ?

If there is air trapped how is it going to get out this way ? Should I apply some pressured air to the feed or return line ?

Thanks for the help guys.

Just do figure-8's in a lot. Be sure to go from lock to lock on the wheel. It will fight you but it should push all the air out. Take note of your fluid level before your figure-8's so you know if air is being pushed out.

To flush, pull the belt and the return line by the passenger strut tower. Place a catch can below and turn the pulley (I use a drill to expedite) and watch your fluid be pumped out. Chase it with new fluid so you don't get air in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about power steering systems.. But I quickly googled this and someone with a similar problem said they just had to tighten the PS belt, which makes sense that the belt could be slipping and not turning the pump as much or fast as it should.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about power steering systems.. But I quickly googled this and someone with a similar problem said they just had to tighten the PS belt, which makes sense that the belt could be slipping and not turning the pump as much or fast as it should.

Definitely an option, though I think the belt would have to be pretty loose to not be turning the pulley at all. It's worth a shot!

I would think so. The system is mostly mechanical I believe so I would expect it to work with the belt. Again, if you try to flush the system, that should confirm if your pump is working.

Honestly, I wouldn't know exactly where to look from there. It would have to be a problem with the rack. But even that seems strange if the pump turns out to work.

• 3 months later...
ever figure this out? my steering was fine and then suddenly it was heavy when I got out of work last friday. heavy on initial turn, then easy once it gets going. my fluid is kinda high, has been for a while

Do some figure 8's in a parking lot, going lock to lock on the steering, see if that help's. Then check the fluid level.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

did that last Friday right after I noticed the problem after work and the level didn't change and neither did the feeling. I should really get a small turkey baster and lower my fluid below the max level. hopefully I'm not burning up my pump.

last night I opened the PS reservoir and went from lock to lock while stationary (not moving, parked) and it feels slightly better, I think. still trying to feel it out. my thought was that if the cap is on and tight, shouldn't it be air-sealed? I guess I didn't look for a vent/purge anywhere

my driver's side CV boot is torn. can that get bad enough to cause steering feel changes? need to get that axle replaced.

Archived