LegacyGT.com

Loaner cars

Strabo

You'd think so, but it's up to the dealer. Load of crap IMO
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Guest JessterCPA

It's a dealer-to-dealer item.

I had a VW dealer charge me for the loaner, after the fact. I was liek WTF?? Take that charge off! They begrudgingly did, but I bet most people dont complain.

It has always been my experience with whatever Suby dealer I was working with that SOA covers the cost of a loaner or rental for all warranty work over 4 hours in length. Some dealers may tell you otherwise if they have run out of loaner cars and would have to offer you a rental; but in my experience if you insist, they will oblige-begrudgingly.

Some manufacturers do not offer loaners, even for warranty work. I found out the hard way with my Jeep that Chrysler does not offer loaners for warranty repairs, so I always ensure that this is so with the dealer and manufacturer pre-purchase.

I recently posted about my cooling fan problem in another post. My car went in this past Monday and they kept it until today. They rented me an 05 outback from Hertz. Subaru paid for it.

Also, my dealer has a policy that if you want a loaner car you can have it even for an oil change. The only catch is that when you make the appointment you have to state that you need a loaner and they will provide one on that date. I usually just drop off my car and take the shuttle to work and back that they also provide. It is nice to know that if I do need a car for the day (errands to run or something) they can give me one. I thought this was very common with auto dealerships. Almost every dealer around here provides loaners and they all have shuttle services that drop you off and pick you up. Am I lucky??? I didn't even realize it.

In fact, I jsut remembered, when I had a rear defroster go in my prelude a few years back they even came and got the car. I brought it in and took the shuttle. They told me it was the relay. I told them NO, since I could easily hear the relay click on and off. I brought the car back to fix the relay and took the shuttle. It didnt' fix it.... duhhhhh... So they said they would replace the rear glass. They also told me they would come to work and get my car since it was their fault. They came in the morning, got the car, had it fixed, and brought it back by 5 that day. I thought that was really cool of them...........

Most dealers only have a limited amount of cars that are schduled out each day. Sometimes they do run out. But I believe if its going to take longer then 4 hours to fix the warrenty problem then a loaner is deserved. But sometimes that may mean to reschudle until they get a car..

I cant believe a place would give loaners for oil changes unless you were a very good customer. That would leave them with no cars for big services and warrenty.. Doesnt make much sense unless they had an unlimited amount of cars.

Not all dealer have loaner cars

Dealers that do have loaner cars usually use them for customers having a large amount of work done that is not under warranty. SOA's loaner program requires the person drving the car be at least 25 with proper insurance, drivers license and a credit card to cover any damages to the car.

For warranty work any Subaru dealer is able to provide a rental, paid for by SOA, during the repair as long as the car has to stay over at least 1 night. Warranty will not pay the rental if the repair can be performed the same day. Rental cars are subject to the Rental Car company's rules...if your under 21 don't expect to be getting a car...

My experience has also been that if your Subaru is in for warranty work, Subaru will cover for the cost of a rental up to $20-25 a day, or provide you with a loaner. Not all dealerships provide loaners, however.

I'm lucky that my dealership has a fairly nice fleet of Subaru loaner/rentals. As long as I let them know in advance, I'm almost always guaranteed a Subie. I've even had WRX and OBXT loaners before.

Ken

For Warranty work they should give you a loaner. They gave me a 2.5i for mine when I did the ECU thing. They said if I needed the car longer than the 3 days that they were keeping mine then they would have to charge me for it. If your dealership doesn't offer loaners on warranty work then I would find out why they don't. I think they have to since it isn't anything you did to cause you to be without a car. In fact, if you read your warranty paperwork I wouldn't be surprised to see that a loaner car durring the repairs is part of their obligatiion if they are going to do warrany work.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Dealer to dealer variation on (a) whether or not if they have loaners, (b) loaner "reservation" policy, © service eligibility policy, and (d) insurance/contractual stipulations (i.e. driver age, etc.) - so, check with your dealer. :)

I miss my parent's Lexus dealership.

When I used to take my parents' cars in for maintenance, I'd also take time-out to load-up on doughnuts and soft-drinks. Mind you, this when I was barely 18, and they insisted on handing me keys to loaner ESs and even LSs (this was back in '93 or so). Never even a remote stink about "oh, I'm sorry, you're underaged."

It's just a dealership-to-dealership thing, check with yours to be sure.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 5 weeks later...
Dealers have an option to enroll in the Subie loaner program. It is not a requirement. As per the warranty / policy manual you are eligible for a rental one repairs comence, and in turn the repairs are over 4 hours. In turn if your dealer should VOR the part there will be no rental asssitance given. Mind you that Subie only pays 25.00 torwards a rental. Here in the New York Metro area a 25.00 rental is pipe dream. The loaner program is great, depending where you are. But in some markets is a lose lose on the dealer level. I have had to many loaners comeback in various pieces. For us evil dealership personal it is damn if you or damn if you dont

Dealers have an option to enroll in the Subie loaner program. It is not a requirement. As per the warranty / policy manual you are eligible for a rental one repairs comence, and in turn the repairs are over 4 hours. In turn if your dealer should VOR the part there will be no rental asssitance given. Mind you that Subie only pays 25.00 torwards a rental. Here in the New York Metro area a 25.00 rental is pipe dream. The loaner program is great, depending where you are. But in some markets is a lose lose on the dealer level. I have had to many loaners comeback in various pieces. For us evil dealership personal it is damn if you or damn if you dont

nailed it on the head..!!!

My car is still in the shop with an ECU issue- been there since last Friday. The dealer, Metric Subaru of Long Island, lent me an '06 Forrester. Not a bad car for this monsoon we've experienced here in the Northeast.

I don't know the specifics of their loaner program, but they have my repair business and my next car purchase- they know how to take care of a customer.

The dealer I leased my LGT from told me to come see the manager or my salesman when I drop the car off for warranty work and they'll set me up with something. First time I got a '99 Outback auto, the 2nd time (when I took it in for the stuttering) they gave me an '05 Baja Turbo 5spd. They've been great so far...

loaner cars are at the dealership's choice. They can either sign up for the Subaru loaner program (where the loaner vehicles are used vehicles a couple years old) or do their own version of the program...or do nothing at all.

Our policy is that customers that have bought from us can have a loaner for the day their vehicle is in for service, but if they have not purchased from us, we do not offer a loaner vehicle but will offer them a rental from enterprise for $25 a day (our cost from enterprise).

long post short.... loaners are not required by Subaru... they will depend on the individual dealer.

Archived