LegacyGT.com

2.5i valve rocker assembly removal

is there a DIY guide or tips on removing the valve rocker assembly for a 2008 outback 2.5i?

following the FSM, there are two tools used, "SPRING INSTALLER" and "VALVE ROCKER HOLDER". are these necessary?

is it just the 10 bolts or so and lift out? i just don't want things flying out as i start unbolting.

Ive done the rhs on my 2008 liberty 2.5i. Nothing came out when I took the cover off.

Just the bolts, then swapped the gasket and bolted the cover on. Pretty easy once you figure out how to squeeze the cover out and back in.

Read a little closer, OP wants to remove the rocker assembly, not the valve (rocker) cover. Pretty sure he already has that figured out.

thanks. i understood the valves and springs were retained (i need to buy springs compressor), but i was afraid there would be tiny springs/parts within the rocker assembly that would shoot across the room and be forever gone :lol:. i've only seen a couple posts about this procedure and there is mention of stuff falling out, but no detail to what will fall out.

nothing wrong with springs/cams. i'm doing head gaskets and have the heads out. still contemplating if i need/want to remove rocker assembly/valves/springs. probably a good idea to disassemble everything if i send it out for machining? i want to disassemble, clean, lap valves, and install new valve seals, just as a learning experiment, but i dont want to mess it up, so just using caution.

178k miles on this 2008 outback 2.5i. the valve guides look good. everything looks good. just loose carbon build up on valves. really loose/oily carbon. hopefully just from the blowby from the blown head gasket. also noticed a lot of oil in the intake manifold. kind of wish there was some sort of air/oil separator that we can buy.

for the block, pistons and everything cleaned up very easily with some brake cleaner. looks great actually for 178k miles. (had the original timing belt BTW :eek: everything was also good, water pump propeller had some rust:rolleyes:)

Archived