LegacyGT.com

Underdog Motorsports - 2015 STI Steering Rack Swap

Underdog

You would actually cut the end of the inner tie rod and use a thinner jam nut to pick up a little bit of inward adjustment. You can get about 4mm using that method. Beyond that you would need to turn & thread the inner tie rod to get some more thread, or cut the outer tie rod like you suggested. Just cutting the outer tie rod won't buy you anything since the outer rod will "bottom out" on the male threads of the inner tie rods.

I'm going to start with just cutting 4mm off the end of the inner tie rods and using the thinner nut. That should be plenty to get me zero toe with a little bit of adjustment in case the rack is off a couple splines from dead center.

Edited by Underdog

Over the weekend I trimmed the inner tie rods by ~6-8mm (3-4 threads). I also picked up some stainless M14x1.5 thin jam nuts which are 7mm tall, versus the stock ones which are 11mm tall.

Went to my local dealer to get the P/Ns for the lock washer and boot band today. Using a VIN from a '15 STI on the lot we looked them up, and also confirmed the correct rack P/N. Here they are:

2015 STI Inner Tie Rod Lock Washer (called "Plate Tie Rod") - 34168FG000

2015 STI Inner Boot Band - 34128AG000

I did a reverse search on the lock washer using my catalog, and it appears the '08-'10 (and up to '14 ostensibly) STI used the same lock washer, which would imply they have the same M20x1.5 inner stub thread. According to cars101.com, the '08+ STI track width is 60.2" while the BP/BL LGT is 58.9", so the inner tie rods will not be a drop-in solution. The '08-'10 WRX does not use the same lock washer as the STI, so I would guess it uses a smaller stub thread size. Again, the '10+ WRX is probably the same but I only want to state what the my catalog says, which only goes up to '10 MY.

Edited by Underdog

hmm - curious about the VDC. Hopefully someone else who actually knows what they are doing will tackle that piece and I can just copy them.

I'm with you!

:hide:

I actually looked into the q rack solution back in the day but they didn't recommend it for VDC equipped cars because they couldn't get it to work with VDC.

Time to look into the STI roll connector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Doing this swap on Saturday. I'll be posting video/pictures relating to the install to hopefully add to Underdog's already thorough notes. I may not post immediately as I'm doing the crank/cam/oil cooler seals and timing belt/WP at the same time.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Over the weekend I trimmed the inner tie rods by ~6-8mm (3-4 threads). I also picked up some stainless M14x1.5 thin jam nuts which are 7mm tall, versus the stock ones which are 11mm tall.

Went to my local dealer to get the P/Ns for the lock washer and boot band today. Using a VIN from a '15 STI on the lot we looked them up, and also confirmed the correct rack P/N. Here they are:

2015 STI Inner Tie Rod Lock Washer (called "Plate Tie Rod") - 34168FG000

2015 STI Inner Boot Band - 34128AG000

I did a reverse search on the lock washer using my catalog, and it appears the '08-'10 (and up to '14 ostensibly) STI used the same lock washer, which would imply they have the same M20x1.5 inner stub thread. According to cars101.com, the '08+ STI track width is 60.2" while the BP/BL LGT is 58.9", so the inner tie rods will not be a drop-in solution. The '08-'10 WRX does not use the same lock washer as the STI, so I would guess it uses a smaller stub thread size. Again, the '10+ WRX is probably the same but I only want to state what the my catalog says, which only goes up to '10 MY.

What about the inner tie rod from the 04-08 STi? Can you get the inner size for that? Maybe that is also M20 and a little shorter.

Track width of 04 STi 58.7" from cars101.com and the part numbers for inner tie rods are 34160AE000, 34160AE001, and 34160AE010 from Opposedforces.com. Rock Auto gets me a replacement Raybestos part that is M20x1.5 rack end and M14x1.5 outer end.

Edited by Regardie
Added some more information

The '05-'07 STI inner tie rod (P/N 34160AE000 which supersedes 34160AE001) is common with the '08+ WRX, which I measured and confirmed is an M16 stub thread. It's possible you could use an M16/M20 adapter insert but trimming the tie rod is less expensive, and safer in my opinion.

34160AE010 (-'04 STI) is the only P/N I haven't ordered and confirmed. Will do so next time I am picking up parts.

Edited by Underdog

The '05-'07 STI inner tie rod (P/N 34160AE000 which supersedes 34160AE001) is common with the '08+ WRX, which I measured and confirmed is an M16 stub thread. It's possible you could use an M16/M20 adapter insert but trimming the tie rod is less expensive, and safer in my opinion.

34160AE010 (-'04 STI) is the only P/N I haven't ordered and confirmed. Will do so next time I am picking up parts.

Oddly enough, now I can't find that Raybestos part that I saw. I am finding it difficult to pin down the size as I have seen M14 and M16 both listed as the inner size of that part.

Are the sockets swappable? I have never tried to take one apart. I haven't found the track width for my 2000 BE yet so I know I will have some work to do if I try to make this swap.

Good question - I have not disassembled the rack internals. Can't see why one would pursue a "bolt in" solution that far when modifying the '15 STI tie rods is much less intrusive, but I'm all for the discussion/discovery.

Front track on my Legacy is 57.9" so even with the thinner lock nut I still need a couple of inches to make it fit.

The wrench flats are 14mm so you really only need to knock the points off to be able to chase more threads. I just measured and from the end of the threads to the end of the hex is ~40mm. Leave 10mm of flats for your wrench and you've just gained 30mm of adjustment. Just be sure to take an equal amount off the end of the inner rod or the outer rod will bottom out.

Welp...I went all in, but mostly because Underdog did such a great job with this thread. Hardest part was the u joint. There's not much room to work that pinch loose, but I managed. Here are a few pics from the festivities. The car is still on the lift as I did cam/crank/oil cooler seals and new WP with new gates kit. Just have to reset timing and get fluids in her tomorrow.

Here's the rack about to enter the band saw for tie rod modification.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/10/8326af77d7122053997eb0c1a86a59a5.jpg

It made a perfect cut, used the old jam nut to cut against.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/10/5fa38ba36207cb02aa738034733466a1.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/10/701753d874e9cb153ce4ecd058a2ee03.jpg

On in you go...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/10/d66f84cc396afee23e8a12a4e082b397.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by doobaruGT

First impressions are really nice! It feels noticeably more responsive. I'll wait until my alignment to give a more detailed review. To be honest, I was more concerned about executing my cam/crank seals and getting that back together. No CEL's...whew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk