LegacyGT.com

I killed my engine, replace or rebuild?

Looking at around $3500 to replace the engine. Not sure what a rebuild would run or if there is a good mechanic in OK. It ran very low on oil and I'm sure a connecting rod bearing failed.

What would a rebuild run?

It's probably not likely I can just replace my engine with a turbo version while keeping the same transmission is it?

Don't even start, dude. Not possible. Aside from all the extra stuff you'd need to make it work --headers, UP, DP, etc, all the engine and body electronics-- its nearly twice the cost to rebuild a turbo engine. I would do awful things to only have to pay $3500 for a rebuilt turbo motor. Ours start at 5k, and are typically about 6-7 by the time its all said and done -

Pay the man, count yourself lucky you have an easier out.

I must ask how did the engine manage to run low on oil enough to blow up in the first place? These cars use oil gotta get in the habit of checking it more frequently, or get an oil pressure gauge if you don't wanna pop the hood and check it every gas fill up...otherwise you might put yourself in the same situation again after you put another engine in

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I must ask how did the engine manage to run low on oil enough to blow up in the first place? These cars use oil gotta get in the habit of checking it more frequently, or get an oil pressure gauge if you don't wanna pop the hood and check it every gas fill up...otherwise you might put yourself in the same situation again after you put another engine in

Seems to me, one would have to be mighty derelict in their duties to quickly forget such a lesson.

Just get a junkyard motor, ideally with some sort of warranty. That's gonna be the cheapest.

And keep an eye on your fluids.

edit: $3500 is about in the ballpark, though I dunno what an NA engine goes for used. I assume it would be cheaper than an EJ257, but maybe not?

Just get a junkyard motor, ideally with some sort of warranty. That's gonna be the cheapest.

And keep an eye on your fluids.

edit: $3500 is about in the ballpark, though I dunno what an NA engine goes for used. I assume it would be cheaper than an EJ257, but maybe not?

Dunno about used, but if I recall they can actually be more expensive. They're not cheap.

I just let the Subaru dealer do it when mine started to leak and was already suffering from piston slap. by the time you look at quality rebuilt engines and the amount of things that would have to be swapped, you will be in the same ballpark. I paid $2.7K for the engine teardown and rebuild. It has been running fine ever since.

The plan now is a rebuild, A co-worker just rebuilt his son's Impreza motor and offered to help me rebuild mine. The only fee is beer so it's hard to pass on. I'm just rebuilding a boring grocery getter so mostly stock parts, maybe race bearings since I can't keep standard ones in good working order ;)

Are all 2.5 connecting rods built the same? Can I use a set of turbo rods in my non turbo motor? What year of engine will be compatible with a 2009's connecting rods?

Thanks for any help with this project.

Are all 2.5 connecting rods built the same? Can I use a set of turbo rods in my non turbo motor? What year of engine will be compatible with a 2009's connecting rods?

Thanks for any help with this project.

Don't overcomplicate this, dude.

Not trying to complicate the rebuild, the rods I see for sale are pull offs from turbo cars when someone upgrades to H beam or I beam rods. Just want to make sure they will fit in my motor or if they are not compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111523173089?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ma-used-06-lgt-crankshaft-connecting-rods-233462.html

I believe, what he is saying don't sink a bunch of money into this motor as you aren't building it for boost or even race conditions outside of the average on ramp WOT to merge into traffic. Do what you need to do to get her back running w/o taking shortcuts and you should be fine. Shortcuts got me into a Chevy, LOL!

I agree completely. A new set of stock rods will run me about $280 shipped, a set of good condition used rods about $100 shipped. I understand they are beefier but my main interest in them is that are available. Motor is coming out this weekend, maybe broken down Sunday, we'll see how bad I hosed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Build it completely stock except for:

Stud the heads with ARP studs. It will make sure that your head gaskets live a long and uneventful life

Inspect the oil pickup tube completely and thoroughly and make sure it's not cracked anywhere. If it is, purchase an aftermarket from one of a couple places-Moroso, Covert Performance, or Killer B.

Archived