LegacyGT.com

First mods?

Hey everyone. I've been interested in upgrading my 08 lgt. Aside from a few mandatory things that aren't necessarily performance related (I want to get these out of the way first naturally) I was wondering what some of the first modifications that should be done are, as well as what the safest order to do them is in. I've heard that an AP is one of the first things I may need and will probably purchase soon. But other than that, where should I start? I tried to do a search as far as a list goes but can't seem to find anything. So please excuse me if my question has already been answered...

Start with a down pipe (or gutted stock dp if you're cheap) and a tune. As for the stage 2 tune you have several options:

Cobb AP with OTS map or Etune - $400 - $600+

Tactrix and etune - $250 - $400 (requires laptop)

you could also stick with a cobb OTS (off the shelf) map or go all out with a protune.

If you go the etune route check out cryo, he does amazing work.

What i personally did was get a accessport first. this gave me a good base tune and made the car feel so much more alive.

after that i go a downpipe and a catback, so i had a turbo back exhaust. from there i got a uppipe (06 LGTs had cats in their uppipes) and i will hopefully get an intake too. then get protuned

Awesome. I have heard that the stock ecu tune sucks a lot so I would feel confident in getting it even on an off the shelf AP tune. Also, I live in the oh so restrictive (and sort of fun sucking) state of Massachusetts, where we have to pass a smog test along with our inspection. So my question is, since my year doesn't have a catted UP, would that mean I would be catless?😼😯 because I plan on going with either a q300 or MagnaFlow cat back eventually. Furthermore, (sorry for rambling) I have heard of people using a tune that allows them to pass emissions in MA (usually just temporarily because it isn't very good performance wise)

Almost any mod you do will require a trip to the tuners. Don't touch your intake until you make at least 350+hp. Your asking for trouble any if you do. Start with base tune and work your way from there. Not be be an ass, but use the search tool. What your asking has been done a thousand times over in this forum. Welcome ...and happy modding

Awesome. I have heard that the stock ecu tune sucks a lot so I would feel confident in getting it even on an off the shelf AP tune. Also, I live in the oh so restrictive (and sort of fun sucking) state of Massachusetts, where we have to pass a smog test along with our inspection. So my question is, since my year doesn't have a catted UP, would that mean I would be catless?���� because I plan on going with either a q300 or MagnaFlow cat back eventually. Furthermore, (sorry for rambling) I have heard of people using a tune that allows them to pass emissions in MA (usually just temporarily because it isn't very good performance wise)

If you get a catless downpipe, then yes you will be catless. they do have a tune that will pass emissions on the computer, but just be warmed if they do a sniffer test (smelling for no cats) or look for one and dont see it, you will fail. solution to this is put your stop DP back on, do a tune to accommodate for that (stage 1 AP tune) pass smog, then go home at put the catless back on and retune. What i would do if i were you i would stick to the OTS maps until you are done modding (as long as your mods arnt too wild and require a protune, but i dont think you will be going past stage 2) and then when you are done with the modding spend the money and get a protune.

also like someone else said, your stock intake is good up until 350hp, so you dont need to spend money on that. if you want to hear your turbo and intake more, just take off the intake silencer

edit: also check the member classified here and on NASIOC.com, as you can find an accessport v2 for your car (sub 003) for about $350, just make sure it is unmarried

Okay. Makes sense. Although I was planning on going all out and getting the v3

fair enough i just said V2 because they are cheaper, v3s will be more around $540. the v3 just does more gauges, so i see it as not worth the cost, as the v2 can still check codes, flash maps, and do a single gauge

Hey everyone. I've been interested in upgrading my 08 lgt. Aside from a few mandatory things that aren't necessarily performance related (I want to get these out of the way first naturally) I was wondering what some of the first modifications that should be done are, as well as what the safest order to do them is in. I've heard that an AP is one of the first things I may need and will probably purchase soon. But other than that, where should I start? I tried to do a search as far as a list goes but can't seem to find anything. So please excuse me if my question has already been answered...

Didn't read your whole thread (returning the favor).

What car do you have?

What car did you have before, and what had you done to it?

How many miles?

What are your "mandatory things"?

Are you doing your own work or hiring it out?

Is this your only car?

Have a good income/savings?

Once you get done with those questions, what do you want your high-performance luxury car to do?

I'd start there, then start looking thru the build threads. Pretty much every build thread that goes awry starts like yours. :)

I see. That makes sense because I was planning on getting gauges at some point soon anyways. At least a boost guage

boost gauge is useless. Get an oil pressure gauge and a water temp gauge with alarm light. Oil pressure because these cars burn oil. Water temp because overheating means you're going to be doing the HG soon, or rebuilding later.

Currently I have an 08 lgt 5mt. It's completely stock with about 105k of highway. It needs a timing belt which I see as mandatory and I will probably have my local shop do that (I'll admit I'm not that mechanically inclined yet). I'll also be looking into the cause of the misfire it has and fixing that. Other than that I'm not really trying to go to crazy with it because it's still in awesome shape. I plan on basically doing bolt on mods and other various things that come with it (I haven't been dreaming huge yet) But other than that I'll just be daily driving it to work and for fun of course. I doubt It will ever see a track. My main goal is not necessarily performance, but rather the car lasting me for as long as she possibly can.

So you need to identify your goals. What are you looking for? Why do you want to modify it? Do you have experience modifying cars? If your car stops working are you ******* screwed? paying a shop to do all the installation adds up quickly.

I sort of classify mods into three main categories

1. Engine - more power (open source or Access port for stage 1. Downpipe + tune for stage 2) Read the power-train / tuning forum stickies

2. Suspension / brakes - handling and feel (Koni inserts + springs are frequently recommended) Read the suspension forum.

3. Visual - just for looks

The timing belt service is expensive to have a shop do. Usually around $1,000. generally the water pump and a few other parts are replaced at that time to.

Has your clutch been replaced? if not that will probably need it soon. That's another $1,500 or so.

When was the last time you changed the transmission and rear diff fluid? To pay a shop it's $200ish for that service.

Were the spark plugs changed at 60k? They need to be changed again at 120k.

Essentially there are no "first mods" because what eveyone wants is different.

Spend a lot of time just reading: start with the stickies here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt-2-5gt-2-5xt-12.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-84.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/suspension-brakes-20.html

Users build threads / pictures are usually here

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/legacy-photos-2005-2009-16.html

If it all goes boom this is what you are in for:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tris-build-thread-223568.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-rebuild-shopping-list-226719.html

One more thing, the search feature on this site sucks (at least for me) when ever I want to find anything I just Google: "legacygt whatever I am looking for here"

Reliability Modifications - not all of these apply to a 2008. For example, the 2008 does not have a cat in the up-pipe.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reliability-modifications-178342.html?t=178342

Wow. Probably one of the most useful posts I have seen so far. As far as identifying my goals, I am not looking for a "super fast racecar" but rather a car that is MINE, and is different than others. One if a kind. Performance is cool, but what I'm really aiming for is a one of a kind, (this is why I didn't buy a wrx/sti) car that suits me (and causes as little problems for me as possible in both the long and short run) and like I stressed before, reliability and longevity are very important to me. I have little experience nodding cars but, I'm very mechanical (I'm a plumber and have been working on dirt bikes for a while) and I would love to learn the art of Subaru performance mechanics at my own expense lol. My first main goal is to have my car running smoothly and off of the stock ecu tune. I will move on from there. My problem, as well as my reason for turning to a shop for some of these feats, is that this is only my second car, and my first hobby car. I would like to ease into it rather than dive right in blindfolded. BUT as I explore more, I'm beginning to understand more.

Again, I apologize if I come off as dumb, ignorant, or arrogant. This is the first time I've ever used a forum site and also my first turbo Subaru and also my first time even thinking about modifying a car. So please bear with me

First mods: handling, stopping, go fast,....everything else

In that order. Now figure out what, if anything, you need to change to achieve your goals in each of those three areas, prioritize and execute.

It's no more complex than that regardless of what anyone tells you.

I'd go with OB2.5XT has mentioned. With 100,000+ miles, your first "mods" should be getting the car as mechanically sound as possible. All the cool mods in the world aint going to be all that cool if you're stranded on the side of the road because a $12 coolant hose busted or idler pulley decided to seize.

Forget about any performance mods and get the car in tip-top shape. You'll thank yourself in the long run!

I'd go with OB2.5XT has mentioned. With 100,000+ miles, your first "mods" should be getting the car as mechanically sound as possible. All the cool mods in the world aint going to be all that cool if you're stranded on the side of the road because a $12 coolant hose busted or idler pulley decided to seize.

Forget about any performance mods and get the car in tip-top shape. You'll thank yourself in the long run!

I couldn't agree more. This is what I meant by "manditory things" in the beginning of the thread. Just could have worded it a little better haha.

As stated previously do all the maintenance items first. Timing belt is not difficult at all. Download the factory service manual and it will walk you right through that item. While you are doing that since you have to remove the crank pulley you may as well replace that as well as they are known to fail. I would try to find out how old your clutch is and possibly replace as well as add the TSK3 snout kit. I would suggest getting a hi flow catted down pipe and a stage 2 tune either via AP or opensource or protune. When you do your downpipe check the shaft play on your turbo as that will give you an indication of the health of your turbo. Also get a BMB bulletproof kit for your TMIC just as added assurance you are not going to blow the endtanks off.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived