LegacyGT.com

getting the itch for a turbo automatic

Bullshit. Stage2 5EATS here all day long. No issues. VB upgrade is a good idea, but not required.

Agreed with passion. I came on this site three years ago because I exchanged out my stock catted DP + UP with an aftermarket catless one, and everyone was getting all excited telling me I need to upgrade my VB, get aftermarket clutch packs, a stronger torque converter, la la la

Lmao, some of the people on here are ******* retarded. I'm just 16G, DP, UP, + tune. Hell even if I would have went full catback, I still wouldn't have touched my VB. Now if you're tracking the vehicle, then yeah go ahead but lmao, save your money. These 5EAT's aren't as weak as everyone is making them out to be

edit: I have no idea how much power I'm making but the tuner said t'was more than a stock sti. dont think i broke the 3xx mark tho

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed with passion. I came on this site three years ago because I exchanged out my stock catted DP + UP with an aftermarket catless one, and everyone was getting all excited telling me I need to upgrade my VB, get aftermarket clutch packs, a stronger torque converter, la la la

Lmao, some of the people on here are ******* retarded. I'm just 16G, DP, UP, + tune. Hell even if I would have went full catback, I still wouldn't have touched my VB. Now if you're tracking the vehicle, then yeah go ahead but lmao, save your money. These 5EAT's aren't as weak as everyone is making them out to be

edit: I have no idea how much power I'm making but the tuner said t'was more than a stock sti. dont think i broke the 3xx mark tho

Stock STi is supposedly about 295-300, but that's bhp rated at the crank. Accounting for 20% drivetrain loss, they're 240ish at the wheels. If you can achieve a true 250-265whp, you're faster than an STi.

Manual if your looking to upgrade things. Auto if your fine with the stock feel. Stage 2 is a good way to dynamite your auto trans.

Also nada the wrx and it will give you an idea what the dealer is in it.

LMAO, it appears that you don't know what you are talking about.

I have 40k on my Stage 3 (bnr16g) 5EAT (69k to 110k). No problems and going strong, only good times. The last 10k has been on E85 with fueling.

Stock STi is supposedly about 295-300, but that's bhp rated at the crank. Accounting for 20% drivetrain loss, they're 240ish at the wheels. If you can achieve a true 250-265whp, you're faster than an STi.

Sounds right. It was 270 MAX (whatever that means) on a low reading dyno.

And OP, don't let the "forum dogs" try and sway you into an aftermarket intercooler if you're just stage 2. I purchased a used stock IC from the classifieds for $75 because the "forum dogs" told me my intercooler would eventually leak so it was best that I pick up a spare.

Well, it's been 4 years with no leaks and I'm sick of it sitting in my closet. If you want, you can buy my spare:)

I'm making 17.5lbs of boost, btw.

My ignorance to some of these so-called internet experts has saved me a LOT of money.

And OP, don't let the "forum dogs" try and sway you into an aftermarket intercooler if you're just stage 2. I purchased a used stock IC from the classifieds for $75 because the "forum dogs" told me my intercooler would eventually leak so it was best that I pick up a spare.

Well, it's been 4 years with no leaks and I'm sick of it sitting in my closet. If you want, you can buy my spare:)

My ignorance to some of these so-called internet experts has saved me a LOT of money.

Without salting my own game, I tend to agree -- There's only so much you can believe on the internet. Heck, my shop HATES it when I come in and start a sentence with, "Well, I read on the internet" . . . My boy's eyes get all big and he turns into Sam Jackson ala Pulp Fiction, "Say Internet one more time, muthafucka!" :lol:

If I believed everything I read here, I'd be riding around with a forged motor that costs 10k on 5k coilovers and RPF1s.

LMAO, it appears that you don't know what you are talking about.

I have 40k on my Stage 3 (bnr16g) 5EAT (69k to 110k). No problems and going strong, only good times. The last 10k has been on E85 with fueling.

I was just going off what I actually witnessed between not one but 2 people.

Also to say you changed your turbo to a bnr16g. That's an upgrade but not a huge one from the vf-46.

...If I believed everything I read here, I'd be riding around with a forged motor that costs 10k on 5k coilovers and RPF1s...

As many people are rebuilding these damn things, polish the heads and shortblock on the outside too. I wish a birdy told me gut the banjos, swap the turbo and oil cooler before it took me out. Cheaper than you think when you factor in a rebuild and a beater car to get you to work for the money to finish the rebuild.

$12K would be a slap in the face in NY for that GT (IDK where you're located, didn't look). They typically average around $15 here for a GT. There is one 2007 GT Limited Auto for sale here with only 24k on it for $18,900 if you were willing to spend the $18k, might as well get one with less miles and with the Limited package.

clearly the $18k they are asking is shooting for the moon. what do you guys think of KBB as a guide on value? NADA seems low

NADA is what the vehicle is actually worth. KBB factors in things like dealer overhead and market -- All things a bank isn't interested in loaning you money for on top of an asset.

If you get that car the 06, think about replacing the timing belt in the next year or so. Its an age thing, not mileage in this case.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you get that car the 06, think about replacing the timing belt in the next year or so. Its an age thing, not mileage in this case.

^^^^

IMO, I wouldn't spend $18k on a 06 non-limited.

In that price range, you can find a nice Spec B with little higher mileage but nicer of a car :) (IMO)

I couldn't agree more! The best thing you can have is a well reputable Subaru mechanic that you trust, and a good tuner. Those 2 people, or possibly 1 if you take it to a shop that specializes in Subarus and has a Dyno, I read on here because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. There can be some good info, ideas, and pictures on these forums.... you just have to realize that nobody on here can fix your car for you, they can only offer suggestions from their own experiences. Shit half the people on here have probably never even changed their own oil! so 99% are taken with a grain of salt :lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

^^^^

IMO, I wouldn't spend $18k on a 06 non-limited.

In that price range, you can find a nice Spec B with little higher mileage but nicer of a car :) (IMO)

Wasn't telling him to pay 18grand. just what to think about if he get's it.

It's not a 05 5mt wagon in SWP, it not worth 18grand.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i've had four turbo subarus, driven them all over 150k and never had a single turbo problem. warm your cars up guys

So warming it up is the trick to having it last 150k +???? :lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Wasn't telling him to pay 18grand. just what to think about if he get's it.

It's not a 05 5mt wagon in SWP, it not worth 18grand.

oh sorry, I was agreeing if he got it to replace the t-belt because of age. No one needs a t-belt to snap and the motor goes bye bye after spending that much money.

I just picked up my 05 a month or so ago. The previous owner said he replaced the t-belt & water pump(but had no paperwork) so I took it with a grain of salt. We opened it up & found out he DEFIANTLY didn't change it. :mad:

new update: the used car dealer with the 2007 wrx limited called and dropped the price to $15,000

here is what's wrong with that car from what i could see:

-brakes are squishy..might need new brakes or just pads

-plastic splash protector shield on bottom gone

-front driver side weather stripping has a hole in it

-rear passenger side trim coming off

-been sitting for 2 months (car was dead when salesman @ dealer tried to start it)

-interior missing some screws and has loose trim panels here and there

-lots of rock chips in the bumper/hood

-carfax shows 5 owners (mind you this is a 56k mile car...sketchy) and 1 accident

-aftermarket intake...clearly grandma wasn't the previosu owner

engine FELT good, but then again i've never driven a turbo. i'm not going to make any quick decisions until i see the Legacy GT, but i am tempted to offer $13k for the wrx ltd if they have the brakes fixed and the weather stripping fixed. i dont think the used car dealer will have much luck selling the car as the salesman admitted nobody want the automatic and it has been there for 2 months already

advice?

What you have there was a race car. Probably the original owner autocrossed the hell out of it and did the damage that you found in Carfax and it was severe enough that it was never fixed correctly. That thing would be like an anchor around your neck in rough seas. Not even a consideration.

The LGT on the other hand sounds like a nice car, but as others have said, the price at around $18K is fantasyland. You can search for quite a while for the $6K extra that this guy is asking. They are not worth nearly that much as being an almost 10 year old car now.

Just my own $.02.

Archived