LegacyGT.com

TC off in 2005 LGT?

So as im sure you guys know normally you turn off the traction control buy pressing the far right button on the little cluster of three buy your left leg. Well for some reason that right button is just a hard button and doesn't moved when pushed. Any ideas whats going on?

You cannot turn off the traction control in a 2005 5EAT, as there is no button for it. However, you can use manual mode, which might actually generate enough torque in 2nd or 3rd to slip the wheels enough before the trans catches up.

So when do you get to take your driver's test?

If there is no traction control then what exactly aside from the AWD is keeping the car from slipping? When you let's say try to do a donut, you'll feel the back start to slip but then something kills the power so it won't slip. What exactly could this be?

If there is no traction control then what exactly aside from the AWD is keeping the car from slipping? When you let's say try to do a donut, you'll feel the back start to slip but then something kills the power so it won't slip. What exactly could this be?

That's the point of AWD - it shifts power from the wheels that are slipping to those that are not. In this case, the rear is slipping and having power pulled from it, so the tires then hook back up.

If this is all on dry pavement, you should probably start saving from some tires and a trans.

That's the point of AWD - it shifts power from the wheels that are slipping to those that are not. In this case, the rear is slipping and having power pulled from it, so the tires then hook back up.

If this is all on dry pavement, you should probably start saving from some tires and a trans.

And a new diff.

VDC, you must have a 5eat transmission ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No TC in the 05-06 LGT, only AWD and tire adhesion keeping you in control.

I loved the fact that there was no TC. All driver, no BS

the center diff in the 5mt is a viscous unit, which means its reactive and will send power to the front via the limited slip functionality only after the rear end slips alittle. that momentary slip in the rear before the front pulls the car forward is what you felt.

Ok, so aside from the AWD and ABS there are really no traction aids? And btw wasnt on dry tarmac, was on rain, snow.

This is semi-correct; the 05 5EAT won't intentionally let you lose traction, at least not if it senses it. Best way to break loose? Run shitty tires. Ask me how I know.

I wasnt abusing the car, ive never even driven it. It was his own stupid idea to try to do donuts. Only reason im on here instead of him is because he is just learning about cars and i know more than him so im trying to be helpful

And that's all fine and good, but, if he doesn't take care of it, and only beats on it, then its not gonna matter what you do or say to him about it.

Best bet here, is to get a new engine dropped in, so when its time to pass it down to you, who clearly cares about it, it'll still have some life left -

I wasnt abusing the car, ive never even driven it. It was his own stupid idea to try to do donuts. Only reason im on here instead of him is because he is just learning about cars and i know more than him so im trying to be helpful

There are lots of "my engine is smoking" & "my turbo sounds bad" threads on here that started with the immortal phrase "try to do donuts".

If you are going to do that, pick a low traction surface (ice, snow, etc), bald tires, over-fill your oil .5 quart, check your water levels, and have an AAA membership to cover the wrecker. Also, try to do clockwise spins (driver on outside) to keep more oil in the engine.

Then get your car up to speed, turn the wheel quickly in one direction and pull the e-brake releasing the button at the top of the pull then quickly dropping the handle down again whilst keeping your foot floored on the gas pedal. If you get it right, you'll do a donut or some part of one. If not, be sure to post the video. :eek:

Archived