LegacyGT.com

Where can I get a new cat online?

05 2.5i. Want to hear what not to do to your exhaust? Here's the story. I found out my car was unlike most 05 legacies since it was late 04-early 05 production giving me cursed long headers with single ported headers. I have the same engine as 00-04 Outbacks essentially. I wanted desperately for my car for rumble.

I had someone cut up OEM lgt headers with different flanges on my car and connect it to my stock cats. Thus, cutting up my stock cats. I stood there while the guy who fabricated my headers took an impact battery drill and tighten the hell out my manifold header bolts. I said I think that's tight enough and he looked at me but I trusted him Cuz he builds 10 second hondas. Now I've been driving around a car with a huge exhaust leak on headers that never fit since day 1 and they're a headache to me and everyone around me. Not to mention a CEL and suffocation of the smell.

I took this mess back to the guy who fabbed it and he said for him to refab it with the correct flanges, I'd have to spend $200 just to get the flanges machined. And he wanted to refab everything from scratch his way if it has his name on it pricing me out over $1000 ontop of what I already spent on the first one if that one would even work this time. This thing has his name on it anyway

Since I live in ny It's illegal to buy a used cat. I went to a big name local subaru dealer to price out new headers. They priced me out headers I had hacked to hell for over $1700. I thought wow I fucked up this time. I went to a small local subaru dealer and they priced me out for them as $750 (probably refurbished ones?) but they when they looked at my car they laughed at me in my cobjob I had under my car and said its gonna cost more then that to install them since the furthest rear manifold bolts are stripped out and they're right under the subframe, so that apparently makes it harder for them to be rethreaded while trying to keep a straight face. They told me lies before by telling me my diff was garbage since it was leaking but it only was Cuz of the crush gaskets. Anyway, I don't want o give them my money and it's just been a pita

So are there any sites where I can get a full cat? you probably only needed to read this much one that looks exactly like this. Same flange as a 3.0 H6 or 00-04 outback. 05 outbacks toohttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/14/96e18c7942fb34e57c5c6945869b0d2e.jpg

Even finding a pic that looks like it was hard enough. I don't care about your negative comments I've had my fair share thank you.

I usually start with the SPCA....

Okay seriously though why is it illegal to buy used cats in NY? My understanding is the law there is the same as CA replacement cats must be certified by the state to be OEM equivalent or better.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Moderators
I usually start with the SPCA....

Okay seriously though why is it illegal to buy used cats in NY? My understanding is the law there is the same as CA replacement cats must be certified by the state to be OEM equivalent or better.

In most states (federal, maybe) it is not legal to buy cat converters for REUSE, unless they are recertified. If you are not going to reuse the converter(s) on a vehicle you can typically buy them. Recertification can be expensive, so recertified OEM converters will also be expensive when compared to an aftermarket replacement. Aftermarket replacements are really pointless though, and typically only last for 1-3 years from what I gather.

Some state have gone as far as saying that you cannot sell converters at all unless you are a relevant business (auto shop, for example) due to so many people stealing converters right out from the bottom of cars. A crackhead with a battery powered sawzall can do some serious damage pretty quick--takes away the motivation if none of the scrap yards are legally allowed to buy whatever he is able to get a hold of.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

that single port equal length setup is something I see all the time on H6's, never found it on a 4cyl. Even the 00-04 OB's use unequal length headers with the front cat under the right axle, then a second cat back by the end of the trans. The PZEV 4cyl's might use the same setup, I dunno. Rkrenicki probably would. . . I think that guy's got the whole weird-shit-subaru-ever-made-in-any-market playbook memorized.

I have craptons of 01-04 H6 Outbacks I'm parting. I have complete Y-pipes, just the cats, just the front flanges (always wanted to turbo one so figured I'd build a crossover and header one day), just the front cats, just the back cat. . . you name it, I got it.

I can sell you a complete 119k mile Y pipe for $200+ shipping, or whatever components you need if you wanna go another way. LMK.

• Moderators
I just sent a message to another guy on the forum--hopefully he can help you out.

that single port equal length setup is something I see all the time on H6's, never found it on a 4cyl. Even the 00-04 OB's use unequal length headers with the front cat under the right axle, then a second cat back by the end of the trans. The PZEV 4cyl's might use the same setup, I dunno. Rkrenicki probably would. . . I think that guy's got the whole weird-shit-subaru-ever-made-in-any-market playbook memorized.

I have craptons of 01-04 H6 Outbacks I'm parting. I have complete Y-pipes, just the cats, just the front flanges (always wanted to turbo one so figured I'd build a crossover and header one day), just the front cats, just the back cat. . . you name it, I got it.

I can sell you a complete 119k mile Y pipe for $200+ shipping, or whatever components you need if you wanna go another way. LMK.

:)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Some of you guys are not really getting the picture here. Let me explain further. I cannot and I mean CANNOT just put on the same headers your car has. The flanges are completely different. I have only seen ONE person online who has ever attempted to do what I have done such as putting dual port headers (what 90% of subarus have) on single port flanged manifolds (what I have) and I cannot even find a link for that online anymore.

Here is what my exhaust Came like stock:http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/6dc569811b22a660acce7532e671bf36.jpg

And this is what I have done to it(notice the cats are still in the same place)http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/3d04bca92dcc9547e331fc04463904b4.jpg

Why did I choose oem lgt headers to modify? Well in the picture below there is a dual ported header with MY style header gasket sitting ontop of it. See the differences? since the lgt headers aren't 2 separate pipes going down they are a wide pipe where I could cut the middle portion out making the 2 ports 1 big one no problemhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/6ec90f781d26fc4251c482defbf7cbec.jpg

So the headers some of you guys showed me with those flanges will only create so much back pressure. I do know what I'm doing but it just will no work with these flanges. They do not make Uel headers with these flanges. Believe me. And I already have a CBE on. Absolutely no rumble came from putting different mufflers on. I can't even hear my exhaust because I have 2 large holes where the gaskets are blown out because it just will not work.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/ab2b1bc0bfb63f3da047542442f0b298.jpg

Making your own gaskets is easy enough. Go to Summit or Jegs or Motorstate and buy a sheet of Mr. Gasket Exhaust Manifold gasket material (have to cut it with tinships) and custom make your own. I make my own collector gaskets out of this and have never had any kind of failure and I have had them on and off several times. You can cut the outline and the holes exactly as needed, spray about 3 coats of Permatex Copper Gasket Sealer on both sides, and then bolt up whatever you want. It's a flat surface to a flat surface. Make sure you tighten them up evenly.

Like a DMV ridealong when you get your license?

Not a ride along. Just clearing a code and driving 10 miles like that without the code coming back up. And then come back to hook up the codereader thing again. I did this at a small shop. He's out of business now so hopefully some other small shop can do it

Well if I didn't do it Id just be bitching wanting my car to rumble. Still am.. Lol everytime someone goes el I die a little inside wishing I had it that easy lol

Thing is, you DO. I've followed a little bit of your saga, and, for what you've put into an NA to get "dat rumble", you could have made a pretty nice down on a GT. All of this trouble in pursuit of noise, that, let's be honest, isn't exactly music to the ears. It's not that great!

If you like it that much, compile clips from YT and make a soundtrack. You're apparently the only one who's gonna enjoy it -- Your parents, neighbors, and friends feel very differently, I'm sure.

Archived