LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Oil change too much oil

Hey everyone,

I changed my oil today and added a bit too much. I attached a photo of the dipstick. It was checked after it was driven for 15 or 20 minutes and then sat for a few. Is this too much where I should drain some out?

Thanks! Sorry for the photo being dark. I added a red line on the tip of the end of the oil in case it was hard to see.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a626/kjphoto518/photocopy_zps6913f3c5.jpg

How much extra did you put in? I have purposely over-filled my oil by 10-16 ounces for over six years with no issues. And my mechanic suggests this as these cars are known to burn oil. I think you are fine. Better to over-fill a little than to fill to 4.2 Quarts and have too much burn off. Just check your levels regularly.

Let the car sit cold overnight and recheck it. That will give everything a chance to drain back as best it can; you'll probably find that it's at the warm-high level which is fine.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You're fine. However, if you ever encounter this and know that you added less than that when you did your oil change, beware of running rich, you may be washing down your cylinder walls with gas and contaminating your oil, raising the level.

You're fine. However, if you ever encounter this and know that you added less than that when you did your oil change, beware of running rich, you may be washing down your cylinder walls with gas and contaminating your oil, raising the level.

You mean beware of driving the car altogether, since they run filthy rich stock. :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Let the car sit cold overnight and recheck it. That will give everything a chance to drain back as best it can; you'll probably find that it's at the warm-high level which is fine.

You may want to pull the dip stick about 3" and close the hood after you shut it off. Come back about 8 hours later and check the oil. That's what I do at work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived