LegacyGT.com

Picked up my Regal blue GT yesterday

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster... Picked up a Regal blue 05 Legacy GT manual sedan yesterday on Subaru's $299 lease. ( I don't want to debate lease vs buy, I've done both, and know the pro's and con's.) I also have a 2001 Honda S2000, so I think I have a pretty unique comparison of cars. And as soon as I stop driving the Legacy at every possible chance I get, i'll detail out the S2000 and put it up for sale. I only have a 100 very calm miles on it, but here are a couple observations: Brakes: S2000 wins hands down. The Legacy dives more, requires more pedal effort, and feels like a regular ol car compared to the s2k Handling: Well..... duh. S2000 is a benchmark. BUT the legacy feels more confindence inspiring, its pretty neutral, and doesn't feel like it's going to kick the tail WAY out when you hit a bump mid turn. Steering: Feels very nice, almost as good as the S2k. Heavy wheel that is not too heavy, great steering ratio, and very connected feeling. Shifting: The S2000 has the BEST seat/arm/shifter ergonmics I've ever had the pleasure of driving. So the comparison hear is pretty unfair. I have a habit of wiggling the shifter back n forth at stop lights, and lets just say I am going to stop that habit. feels ucky when i wiggle the Leg shift. I don't have the short shifter, but i'd like to try one. But I do love the way the 2 -3 shift feels. Oh and the clutch pics up VERY early off the floor compared with Honda clutches. This caught me off guard, and I have to sit with the seat a notch more forward than I would have guessed I needed too. Cluch feels fine, not too soft, not too stiff, linear uptake. Well, my gf thinks its too soft. she likes a good firm clutch. Power: HOO BOY! I'm still babying the car, and DAMN does it move. No doubt I am faster in the Legacy than the S2000. 5-60 times in the Legacy feel like they kill an S2000 (at least 2000-2003 models). If you don't know, to do the amazing 0-60 times in the S2000 you have to rev to about 7000 then perfectly slip the clutch. Takes alot of skill and is real hard on the drive train. The legacy has so much power under foot, that even when babying it pushes me back in the seat. I never get that sensation in the S2000. I am adapting very quickly to the power band. I'm sure sometimes I'll miss the 9000 rpm redline, but damn I sure do LOVE the torque!!! Noise/comfort: The S2000 is noisey, and Legacy is sooo quiet. I like to drive with the radio off and listen to the tires noise and strain to hear the turbo whine, because its so peaceful. like listening to a baby sleeping. The seats are hrmm... okay. I'm getting used to them I guess. I did a 1.5 hr stint in traffic, and my butt isn't used to the new pressure points yet. wee bit sore. I'd like the seat bottom to tilt back a bit more. Maybe the power seat has more tilt, but oh well. I can talk on my cellphone without straining to hear, and don't have to turn the stereo completely off due to overwhelming noise. Pleasent surprises: The brochure at the dealer shows that the GT non-LTD doesn't have the heated mirrors, seat heaters or dual climate control. I was very happy to see that my non-LTD has all those. It doesn't have the leather or moon roof. I'm not a leather guy, and I hate sun/moonroofs, but I got all the goodies, so im happy!! Well, that's what I got so far. [i]above comments subject to change without notice, heh heh. [/i] Haven't read the manual on suggested break in. Right now I am assuming keep it under 5k rpms for 500 miles. Doing pretty good at that, although in first gear if you are trying to quickly merge in traffic, you'll hit 5k rpms in the blink of an eye. my two babies... [i]sorry, one of you has to go...[/i] [img]http://www.darkbeats.net/legacyGT/leg.n.s2k.jpg[/img]

[quote name='I_am_a_replicant']What dealer did you lease from? Mine here in MN said there were no Subaru factory specials....[/quote] Go here and type in your zip code. That will tell you if there's any specials in your area. My dealer didn't know till I told them. [url]http://www.subaru.com/misc/specialFinance/regional/index.jsp[/url]

cool, thanks. Congrats on your new car. BTW, I test drove the 2004 s2K back to back with the subaru. the s2k was unreal, but I didnt fit in it, and for me, it would not have been a practical commuter. But lord, that shifter and the VTEC when it kicks in. It was THE closet thing to a 4 wheeled motorcyle i have ever experienced... Even still, had to go with the GT ltd.

Heh, the S2000 is a great commuter! Gets mid to high 20s, very comfy. I'm 5' 8" and fit great in it, with another notch or two to move back. Twas made for me. One think I love about the s2000 is that it is so precise. Many an accident I avoided because the car seems to be one step ahead of my thinking. But i drive it all the time with the top up in the 95 degree summer heat and the visibilty is horrid. You can hide an Escalade over your right shoulder. Here is the lease deal I am talking about: Introductory 05MY Legacy/Outback Special Lease* - Now through August 2, 2004 - ALL 2005 Outback and Legacy models are available with special introductory lease rates for 39 months. This lease plan also includes scheduled maintenance at no additional charge. See dealer for details. Models include: Models Monthly Payment 2005 Legacy 2.5i Sedan $249 (5AA) Manual Transmission 2005 Legacy GT Sedan $299 (5AE) Manual Transmission 2005 Legacy GT Wagon $319 (5BE) Manual Transmission 2005 Outback 2.5i Wagon $289 (5DA) Manual Transmission 39 month lease. Security deposit is waived. $2,500 down payment plus first month's payment required. Taxes, Title, license, and registration fees extra.

I am 5 8, and 300 pounds. I had to grease myself down to fit in the door, let alone the seat (sorry for the graphics... probably too much info...) Anyway, SOA has never heard of the leases, I kid you not. Just spent 5 mins on the phone with cust service. They then had me call SOA leasing. Spent 5 mins of the phone with them. Nice lady had never heard of it either. She went online and clicked on the link and said, oh, I see what you mean. She said she would call me back (I am trying to get the details on a GT lmt lease, not the base). She called back 10 mins later and referred me to.....customer service. When I told her that is who referred me to HER, she apologized and said she will find out who has the details on the SOA lease specials.... BTW, do you know what your residual and money factor are for the lease?

Ya, I am expecting more as the limited as 2-3K more. I am going to compare what S0A has for residual, money factor and length of lease to what I can get on my own.... Often, the factory leases are subsidized and considerable better than what the average citizen can do on their own. For example, the NSX lease available now is untouchable outside of acura (799 per rmonth for 36 months, 2500 down plus t and L). Then again, it makes sense as acura dealers offer new NSX's for invoice on ebay and dont even get a bid. Cant sell em, so might as well try to lease em with a good lease offer.

Dude....Having a Leg GT and an S2K is my dream. Both are very awesome cars that would be perfect for spirited driving year round in the northeast...Sorry you can't keep both.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived