LegacyGT.com

Time for a rebuild/swap

ok sorry for shifting directions so quickly but i do wanna ask for you opinions about this, an opportunity just came up for running a hybrid setup, a friend of mine pulled out a leaky EJ20 out of his bugeye and is parting it out for dirt cheap (hes just in need of money, like badly) anyway, i was considering buying his heads, sending them off to be refurbished and decked and then mating them to that EJ257. would run with IHI VF52. any thoughts?

No.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not accounting, that's bullshit. Regardless of whether or not it moves, if you're in the Subaru business, you can never have TOO MANY turbo shortblocks on hand.

Don't go into the hard goods business. Ever.

Don't go into the hard goods business. Ever.

So, you're telling me that, if you had a speed shop with retail space, you'd take a loss on turbo blocks "because they dont' move", to make room for shit like . . . BOVs and mufflers? Don't go into the Subaru business. :rolleyes:

His speed shop isn't in the Subaru business and if they tie up their cash in stuff they can't sell they won't be in any kind of business.

I can't tell if you're playing dense or being genuine....

Guys, they're not a speed shop.... they're like an installation and maintenance shop. They ABSOLUTELY DONT deal with parts, they give you a list and you go out on your own to acquire them and they'll install so their business is not in parts/motors. Upon am emergency need? Sure, they can source a block quickly. But it's not their business

Awaiting funds to purchase the block. He wants way too much for deposit so I'm hoping I'll have the money in time and won't miss it. In the meantime purchasing some stuff for the intercooler and turbo to enable installation

I highly recommend you bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

Yesterday after installing the tranny, when it came time for the tmic, I started the 3 mount bolts for the turbo, then slipped the tmic into the TB hose kind of placed it over the turbo where it needed to be, tightened the screw clamp. Then pushed and tilted the tmic to get the rear bolt to start into the turbo flange, then tilted more and started the front bolt, ran them down a bit then installed the support bracket, hint, I never took it out of the rubber bushing.

With those bolts started and tighten the two bolts on the turbo flange to tmic, then tighten the supportbolts, then the turbo to up pipe bolts. That was the easiest the tmic has ever gone on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

time to revive the thread!

so ive come down to the final bits and pieces, getting the oil pump and OCV's.

will be staying with my current intake setup minus inlet hose, keeping my A/C, Alternator and Starter for now.

my setup will be as follows:

2014 Subaru OEM EJ257 Factory Shortblock (staying stock internals)

DW 1000CC Sidefeed Injectors

Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose

2004 B25 STi Heads&Cams

Torque Solutions TMIC

TurboXS full adjustable BOV

KillerBee Oil Pickup

Gates Kevlar Racing Timing Belt

OEM Water pump

Upgraded IHI VF52 Turbo, Ported with large Billet 12 Fin wheel and oversized exhaust housing

Invidia divorced housing bellmouth downpipe

AP Pitch Stop

ARP Head Studs

OEM STi Master Gasket Kit

i believe this makes up for the whole list, but may change here and there.

let me know what you guys think, i should be dropping it in a couple weeks hopefully.

Archived