LegacyGT.com

Time for a rebuild/swap

ok heres a quick opinion question, local subie shop (not dealer) has BNIB EJ257 shortblock for 1500, good buy?

Why is it so cheap? I mean, yes, $1500 is a great cash price for a NEVER BEEN USED/TOUCHED/DROPPED 257, but, seriously, why's it so cheap?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
idk, the shop got it and never used it, need to get rid of it? i mean these guys do work on almost everyone's car down in the south florida region

Ehhh. . . A block is a block is a block. They don't depreciate unless they've been sitting and they've been lapped in technology or application. Heuberger's price of $1645 is COST on those blocks. They've taken a zero-margin on ALL EJ25x shortblocks in order to be the number-one volume seller. (Actually, they've earned the right/ability to sell them at cost.) These motors are a commodity and are in-demand; a selling price below cost on an unused, "BNIB" EJ257 sounds like a red flag to me.

But hey, maybe you're just getting a homie-hookup?

Something along those lines. As far as I know, he bought it for a swap for a spun bearing motor and I think he decided on another route. His price is non-negotiable, so 1500 is bottom line price.

ftfy.

Even best case scenario, he's taking a $150 loss. (Assuming he got it shipped for free). How many of your homies are willing to give you $150 off something that A) isn't damaged; and B) he paid more for?

I see this ending with a shrug and a, "Seems legit" .

Lmao idk man honestly, this guy and his partner are the 2 mechanics that do most work with the local subaru club cars. I admit I've had my shady past with them but it's not like this motor was specifically offered to me. Hes been trying to sell it for a week now on the Florida subaru pages but as long as my motor is still running I'm not in a rush to buy a motor. I rather recoup and get some funds together if I have the chance to

Lmao idk man honestly, this guy and his partner are the 2 mechanics that do most work with the local subaru club cars. I admit I've had my shady past with them but it's not like this motor was specifically offered to me. Hes been trying to sell it for a week now on the Florida subaru pages but as long as my motor is still running I'm not in a rush to buy a motor. I rather recoup and get some funds together if I have the chance to

'Splain.

Did you know that engine-rebuilding is often a cathartic, and Karma-cleansing experience?

Maybe I missed it. Did you compression test all four cylinders? 120psi isn't necessarily bad if all four cylinders are still within a few points of each other. It indicates the gauge is possibly suspect - maybe it just reads low. If you didn't follow the appropriate methodology in testing, you could actually have 134-135 psi in that cylinder.

If you haven't gotten a leakdown test done, do that next. Pay someone to do it for peace of mind before you spend money on a shortblock.

Were the valve covers siliconed and gasketed? OEM uses silicone RTV with gaskets. I'm not saying they did it right, a little silicone goes a long way.

If they are trying to move the shortblock out of the shop, it makes sense they sell it cheap. It's costing them money to have it in inventory. They might be trying to cut their losses on it.

Lol I'm truthfully not that confident in my ability to build the motor myself honestly

That's good! Doing the internals is kinda the important part. Much like all hearts, you should leave the building of them to God. Get yours the same way we all did -- from a box. Preassembled.

Or did you mean putting all the other shit on it? Because you can totally do that. I did, and, I'm a better person for having done so. Plus, you get to be a cool kid when you're done. :cool:

That's good! Doing the internals is kinda the important part. Much like all hearts, you should leave the building of them to God. Get yours the same way we all did -- from a box. Preassembled.

Or did you mean putting all the other shit on it? Because you can totally do that. I did, and, I'm a better person for having done so. Plus, you get to be a cool kid when you're done. :cool:

Lol I was referring to internal construction. Assuming I'd purchase a pre-assembled shortblock I believe I could tackle the installation and mating of the heads to the block by myself and if not completely on my own then with some friends for help. But like you said, I'd leave the internals to the professionals

If they are trying to move the shortblock out of the shop, it makes sense they sell it cheap. It's costing them money to have it in inventory. They might be trying to cut their losses on it.

I don't normally disagree with you, but, I take exception here. Any Subaru shop knows that turbo motors are a commodity and should be on-hand at all times, if you want to help the customers. I see no possible scenario where keeping a perfectly good, non-damaged/installed/run turbo shortblock would COST money.

I don't normally disagree with you, but, I take exception here. Any Subaru shop knows that turbo motors are a commodity and should be on-hand at all times, if you want to help the customers. I see no possible scenario where keeping a perfectly good, non-damaged/installed/run turbo shortblock would COST money.

Well keep in mind "shop" in this situation is 2 guys (3 now since one is injured) that rent out a bay at a body shop down in Miami. They're a growing business and have proven their work in the local community but by no means at this point a shop capable of handling having engines on hand. Sure they'll order some if needed and they have direct connections to the nearest subaru dealer as well as a Japanese motor importer. So there could be some point to what he was saying.

ok heres a quick opinion question, local subie shop (not dealer) has BNIB EJ257 shortblock for 1500, good buy?

Does it look like the new block in my pictures ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

he still has it, i just have to speak to him about holding it for another week or 2. in the meantime im looking at the list of parts needed and i see that i am lucky to have a few parts already sitting around. a couple of my best purchases were a torque solutions tmic ($100 almost brand new condition) and the best of all was a 7K mile IHI VF52 with absolutely no shaft play and no cracks whatsoever for 350. so these definitely reduce from the shopping list and are heavily priced items too

The opportunity cost of having his capital tied up in inventory that's not moving vs. inventory that is moving is likely greater than the loss he'll take on the short block. Small businesses live and die on cash flow, non moving inventory is a killer...

Tell him you'll send him deposit to hold it.

offered him one, waiting on response.

I do have another question though, seeing that it is a new EJ257, im still going to be prone to ringland failure correct? its just one thing that has been hovering in my mind as soon as i started considering a stock 257 block

The opportunity cost of having his capital tied up in inventory that's not moving vs. inventory that is moving is likely greater than the loss he'll take on the short block. Small businesses live and die on cash flow, non moving inventory is a killer...

i see some accounting over here..... good man lol

ok sorry for shifting directions so quickly but i do wanna ask for you opinions about this, an opportunity just came up for running a hybrid setup, a friend of mine pulled out a leaky EJ20 out of his bugeye and is parting it out for dirt cheap (hes just in need of money, like badly) anyway, i was considering buying his heads, sending them off to be refurbished and decked and then mating them to that EJ257. would run with IHI VF52. any thoughts?

Archived